Price drop for 5800 series?

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
So looks like the new Nvidia cards only slightly outperform the 5870, are noisy and suck more power and way hotter. I am hoping there is a pretty decent price drop on the 5800 series pretty soon.

What are the chances of this?

none, they're still having problems keeping them in stock as it is.

Last edited:
with nvidia's release being incredibly lackluster, it doesn't make business sense for ATI to feel pressured to force a price reduction. Hopefully they are nice enough to release the 2gb and 4gb models but they could easily get away with being greedy. I hope they are nice and lower prices though, but hoping doesn't get you very far.

with nvidia's release being incredibly lackluster, it doesn't make business sense for ATI to feel pressured to force a price reduction. Hopefully they are nice enough to release the 2gb and 4gb models but they could easily get away with being greedy. I hope they are nice and lower prices though, but hoping doesn't get you very far.

The 5870 Eyefinity6 is very near. The new 10.3b beta driver adds support for it. The 4GB 5970 is all dependent on the AIB partners, and I would expect to see it within 3-4 weeks.

How the hell is the GTX 480 a 'lackluster' card when its benchmark numbers are virtually the same as a GTX 295?

What the bloody hell were you people expecting? We've seen this at least a dozen times before now. ATI or Nvidia will release a new card, then a little while after that they'll release a card with two of those GPUs on it.

Inevitably, the next generation card will be a single GPU that matches the performance of the dual GPU from the previous generation.

That's exactly what's happened here.

You're getting GTX 295 performance for just $500. You're getting a DX 11 card. And you're getting a single solution GPU.

Lackluster card? Screw that. This will be a HUGE improvement over my GTX 275.

I think he was trying to point out the fact that you think you're going to be able to get one for 500, good luck with that!

AMD already did a price cut. It is called the HD5830 + performance improving drivers. Early DX11 adopters won this round by getting the best value for their cash by far.

What's not clear about the benchmarks? The GTX 480 is performing at the exact same level as a GTX 295.

What did you think, that this card was going to sell for $399?

Your argument is that we should be wetting ourselves with joy over the 480 "performing at the exact same level" as an 18-month old card? How bizarre.

And, regardless, your argument that the 480 is full of win still fails because you totally ignore that the 480 performs about the same as a 5870 - a cheaper, quieter, cooler alternative that's already been on the market for months.

Before the reviews revealed what a shit launch this was, I was planning to get a 480 to upgrade from my GTX280. Now I'll be looking for a 5870 instead. I hope ATI does drop the price, but I think it's doubtful given that the 480 has turned out not to be such a big threat after all.

Last edited:
Wabe your best bet would probably be to add another 275 for only way less than just 500 dollars.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Your argument is that we should be wetting ourselves with joy over the 480 "performing at the exact same level" as an 18-month old card? How bizarre.

I'd actually argue against you in this instance. The 4870x2 rolls at the same level as the 5870 and everyone raves about it thus far.

Reason why the 5870 and 5850 did so well was because it set a new high for performance/price, Nvidia's response...not so much. Thus, the lack of enthusiasm. That, plus the lateness and incredibly high power draw and heat would put most people off; >90C at launch is just too much for me. It's not that it doesn't perform well, but that it doesn't offer anything that ATi didn't offer months ago.

How the hell is the GTX 480 a 'lackluster' card when its benchmark numbers are virtually the same as a GTX 295?

What the bloody hell were you people expecting? We've seen this at least a dozen times before now. ATI or Nvidia will release a new card, then a little while after that they'll release a card with two of those GPUs on it.

Inevitably, the next generation card will be a single GPU that matches the performance of the dual GPU from the previous generation.

You're getting GTX 295 performance for just $500. You're getting a DX 11 card. And you're getting a single solution GPU.

6 months for mabye 20% performance improvement is not a great deal.

While it may be a huge improvement over your gtx 275, you could have been enjoying this type of performance for the last 6 months at a lower price.

The most disapointing thing for me is this. I have a 4850 1gig. I don't pay more than $200 for my video cards. So Right now I have the option of a 5770 which while is as fast as a 4890 1gig its not worth $200 over my 4850. The next card is the 5830 which is $260 and is way to high for me. Nvidia hasn't done anything to cause price drops to help me out. If the gtx 470 was faster than the 5870 we would see huge price drops. Now we wont and its because nvidia is 6 months hot and has a toaster oven that eats energy like nothing.

The most disapointing thing for me is this. I have a 4850 1gig. I don't pay more than $200 for my video cards. So Right now I have the option of a 5770 which while is as fast as a 4890 1gig its not worth $200 over my 4850. The next card is the 5830 which is $260 and is way to high for me. Nvidia hasn't done anything to cause price drops to help me out. If the gtx 470 was faster than the 5870 we would see huge price drops. Now we wont and its because nvidia is 6 months hot and has a toaster oven that eats energy like nothing.

Sell the 4850 and put it towards a 5850 which can be found for $280 on newegg now... should get you to the $200 mark

Sell the 4850 and put it towards a 5850 which can be found for $280 on newegg now... should get you to the $200 mark

I factor the 4850 into the $200 price :)

I'm holding off till the fall when ati's new line should be out. I have a jar of cois that is prob at $100. By fall it will be over $200 (esp when i take the change from the car)and I will most likely pick up whateveri s $300 then for SW TOR

none, they're still having problems keeping them in stock as it is.

This

And this is getting really annoying. There is no store in my large metro area that has the 5870 in stock and probably won't been in stock for awhile or when they do get stock they sell out within a day. Luckly ZZF has 5870 in stock for 395

I agree with WabeWalker and Radeon, the performance of this new GPU is right where its expected to be. He makes a valid point, that it has about the same performance of the previous generations dual GPU card. People always put SLI or Crossfire out there as an upgrade option for this reason. You can get about the same performance of the current gen single GPU top dog with two of the previous gen cards top dogs. But hey lets not listen to reason and just jump of the fanboy wagon...

As for $500 being a lot, well it is and that seems to be the norm with video cards for the last few generations. The 8800GTX was $600 and the GTX280 was $650! At $500 the GTX480 sits about $80 more then the cheapest 5870 on newegg. Sure it will probably sell for a bit more over msrp while stock is low and demand is high, but thats just basic economics. Seems to be working nicely in favor for AMD right now as the msrp for the 5870 was suppose to be $380. Six months later, demand is still high, stock is still low, and the price is still nicely above msrp.

Very very doubtful ATI will price drop the 5800 series, not when Nvidia offers comparable performance at a higher price, six months late. There is little incentive for ATI to offer faster or cheaper parts at the moment, not with the price to performance ratio of the GTX 400 cards.

This is why real competition is good. Welcome back to the bad old days of 2006-2007 where Nvidia was king, only difference now is that the companies' positions have been flipped. :rolleyes:

because nv fanboys hyped this POS to be the next "8800GTX" because of the new "architecture", we waited, but it turns out to be a power hungery,barely faster POS.

I agree with WabeWalker and Radeon, the performance of this new GPU is right where its expected to be. He makes a valid point, that it has about the same performance of the previous generations dual GPU card. People always put SLI or Crossfire out there as an upgrade option for this reason. You can get about the same performance of the current gen single GPU top dog with two of the previous gen cards top dogs. But hey lets not listen to reason and just jump of the fanboy wagon...

As for $500 being a lot, well it is and that seems to be the norm with video cards for the last few generations. The 8800GTX was $600 and the GTX280 was $650! At $500 the GTX480 sits about $80 more then the cheapest 5870 on newegg. Sure it will probably sell for a bit more over msrp while stock is low and demand is high, but thats just basic economics. Seems to be working nicely in favor for AMD right now as the msrp for the 5870 was suppose to be $380. Six months later, demand is still high, stock is still low, and the price is still nicely above msrp.

The problem isn't its performance compared to the gtx 295. ITs compared to its competition. Its 6 months late , uses over 100w more under load than its competition and costs $100 more htan its competition. The 10-15% or so performance increase is really not justified.

Whats more , being 6 months late , its right in time for Ati's refresh. Right now Amd isn't saying anything but do you really think ati has been sitting on its ass since it finished cypress 6 months ago ?

Ati is going to wait because these cards wont be avalible until the second week of april. So ati has another 3 weeks or so before the retail prices on the 5870 nad 5850 start droping. You figure sometime in late may or june we will see thier refresh .

Now ati can do two things. Faster clocked cypress . Which seems a 1ghz or 1.1 ghz cypress will be faster than the gtx 480. This can come about due to 6 months of producing chips or a respin .

They can also have a super cypress. Since ati has die size and tranistors to play with in comparison to the nvidia parts we could see a higher clocked part coupled with more shader units.

Or there is a rumor of a new ati part called Hecatoncheires no one knows when this will be ready. But rumors have it that it taped out a couple of months ago. So we can see a brand new chip coming in the next few months from ati.

for that high power consumption(100w+ at load) and noise(10db more than 5870 at load)...and 500 bucks...im expecting more.... don't even wanna mention the rediculous maximum temp at load(90 degree C plus at load, sory im not american,and i dont know about degree F...).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, my local shop is wiped clean of 5870's. Most likely after the failure that is GTX 480.

So looks like the new Nvidia cards only slightly outperform the 5870, are noisy and suck more power and way hotter. I am hoping there is a pretty decent price drop on the 5800 series pretty soon.

What are the chances of this?

No chance, the ati cards are already cheaper, similar performance, way cooler and quieter. Why would they drop their prices? They are prob laughing their arses off right now.

No chance, the ati cards are already cheaper, similar performance, way cooler and quieter. Why would they drop their prices? They are prob laughing their arses off right now.
I disagree. I fully expect AMD to release versions default clocked up by 10-20% in the next couple of weeks with the exact same cooling, power consumption, and pricing as today's cards. They'll call em the 5855 and 5875, probably. These cards will meet or exceed the performance of the 470/480 in all cases and force nvidia to lower their prices to match. Since nvidia is almost certainly losing money on every single 470 and 480 they sell in this first release, ATI has the opportunity to really stick it to 'em. And I think they will.

So no, AMD won't lower their prices. But you'll get more performance for your money if you don't overclock.

Considering 480GTX mitigated performance and heat, power, noise and temperature (embarrassing) issues, only NVIDIA fanboys will actually buy this video card.
Therefore, I do not think that AMD needs to update its lineup in the short term.

I think fermi was more geared more for CPGPU than raw gaming performance. Which is too bad, I was expecting a bigger performance boost over current offerings. Then again once heavy tessellation starts showing up in games I'm sure nv's offerings will start to shine a little.

I agree though power consumption is crazy. And triple monitors is a must for me on my next upgrade.
A couple buddies as well as me were banking on AMD doing some price cuts. But oh well gotta pay to play! Were all going to the red team this round. lol

Why would ATI drop the MSRP? The cards are already sold at a premium and generally you pay less than the MSRP on video cards. At most I would hope that market forces would cause retail pricing to drop below the MSRP. Think average market prices of $275 for a 5850, $350 for a 5870 and $580 for a 5890. I would be happy with that.

Remember MSRP is not what the resellers are paying for the cards. They are the ones making money off the premiums the cards are selling for. ATI's payoff was being the sole provider of the latest gen of cards 5 months before Nvidia.

i dont think we will see an amd/ati price drop until one of their competitors releases some kind of video card.

yes, competitors. one of the other large electronics companies would have to release a competitive product.

I don't think we'll see the 5000 series in general drop in price. AMD doesn't see the new Nvdia cards as a threat, and honestly neither do I.

Wabe your best bet would probably be to add another 275 for only way less than just 500 dollars.

It's quite laughable to me that this guy's posts everywhere on this forum are consistently contrary to the general opinion. Like that's always some kind of virtue or something.

ATi have no reason to drop prices...hell they could even raise the price of the 5870 to 449 if they wanted to.

I disagree. I fully expect AMD to release versions default clocked up by 10-20% in the next couple of weeks with the exact same cooling, power consumption, and pricing as today's cards. They'll call em the 5855 and 5875, probably. These cards will meet or exceed the performance of the 470/480 in all cases and force nvidia to lower their prices to match. Since nvidia is almost certainly losing money on every single 470 and 480 they sell in this first release, ATI has the opportunity to really stick it to 'em. And I think they will.

So no, AMD won't lower their prices. But you'll get more performance for your money if you don't overclock.

Ah, thats what I said, ati wont be lowering their prices.

I have money to buy new cards(ati).The point is that I shouldn't be taken advantaged of.

You will only be taken advantage of if you buy the new nvidia card. Just because nvidia released a new card, ATI is not going to slash prices. Supply and demand. The demand for the ati cards may increase with this release of the nvidia cards.....just the way it goes. Like the guy posting just above, ati could prob raise their price a few $$$ now. Anyone who wants a new direct x 11 card will have to decide where they want to spend their money. You can pay top dollar now, or just wait it out 6 more months for prices to fall to where you like them.

Back