Prescott 4GHz cancelled

i cant wait till faster HDDs come out..so we dont even have to use caches and shit like that..i wish they would solve this bottle neck in computers!!

potroast said:
another win for AMD.

With the advance of less GHz related CPU's from intel, one of the last things they're going to be doing is partying :)

ScHpAnKy said:
With the advance of less GHz related CPU's from intel, one of the last things they're going to be doing is partying :)

the only thing Intel has right now is mega-Ghz, or the band aid of bigger cache

it took them this long to admit the p4 uber long pipeline high clocked cpu design just doesn't work that well

the P-M is a step in the right direction, but they are far from being in a good position

The new 2MB L2 cache P4s make up for the lack of a 4GHz Prescott. I think those are going to top out around 3.73GHz anyways and should give about the same performance.

There was also a footnote to that article that I didn't paste, basically said there would be more news tomorrow, probably nothing earth-shattering, but I'll keep an eye out.

So what does this mean for the future? Will we be measuring performance in core counts? eg whats after dual cores... quad cores, smp?

when was the last time your 3.0+Ghz HT pent 4 was the bottleneck in anything you were running?

aaron said:
when was the last time your 3.0+Ghz HT pent 4 was the bottleneck in anything you were running?

Pretty much all the newer FPS's when using a top of the line video card and resolutions under 1280x1024 :D

Jason711 said:
"Alienware Area-51 ALX Systems Now Available with Intel Pentium 4 Processors
Enhanced to 4.0 GHz"

they say enhanced to... is that a bs term for ocing?

Yes, alienware ALX uses overclocked 3.6ghz LGA775 and overclocked P4 3.4EE chips.
Alienware® ALX systems are available with performance-enhanced system processors. Tuned at the system level to operate at formerly unsanctioned speeds, these processors elevate computing performance to previously unattainable levels.

on a side note, damn you intel! Now what am I going to heat my house with this winter?
God knows we can't afford heating oil, so I was relying on a couple of 4ghz Prescotts and some massive ass heatpipes... :)

jamesm77 said:
For several years the company (AMD I guess?) has said that increasingly, gigahertz speed alone will not deliver on the performance or computing requirements today’s computer users need.

Clearly a typo
:D

needs moar 2.5+ ghz 800mhz fsb 2mb cache Pentium M core for socket 478 and 775

478 so i don't have to buy a new board :(

I had read once somewhere that intel was going to mimic the success and performance of the P4 Mobile and bring that tech to the desktop computers. Isn't this true?

Jason711 said:
"Alienware Area-51 ALX Systems Now Available with Intel Pentium 4 Processors
Enhanced to 4.0 GHz"

they say enhanced to... is that a bs term for ocing?

Don't know, don't care :-D

I've been running 4GHz longer than alienware was even thinking abotu doing it.

Catsonar said:
I had read once somewhere that intel was going to mimic the success and performance of the P4 Mobile and bring that tech to the desktop computers. Isn't this true?

Not P4-M, but P-M, and yes, they already have some desktop dothan boards out now.

Warrior said:
i cant wait till faster HDDs come out..so we dont even have to use caches and shit like that..i wish they would solve this bottle neck in computers!!

couldn't agree more.....hdds are such a damned bottleneck it's not even a bit funny.
what good is uber fast cpu and mem, when it has to always wait for data from hdd every time you access it? and imho solutions like raid0 are only a temporary solutions.

I wasn't surpised, finally they realized they are wasting their time and ours with there junk prescotts.

With all of Intels latest happenings, I woldn't doubt it if the Dual Cores from them are just as big as a flop as the prescotts.

All kidding aside, you know how hard it is to sell someone an Intel Machine when they want the top of the line Gaming machine? Its really hard and I always tell the to go AMD. (Even though I get yelled at for trying to sell an AMD machine.)

Netbust (yes, bust as in broke!) simply doesn't have the IPC 'horsepower' to compete with AMD - they rely on clockspeed and optimized software to stay with AMD. Intel was hoping to keep cranking the clock up and up and now they can't do that they're putting more cache in to make up for it. Then they'll go dual-core but ultimately they need to go the high IPC route as AMD have done. I'll be much happier when Intel throw Netbust in the bin and we see some kickass dual-core Pentium M desktop parts. :)

coz said:
Netbust (yes, bust as in broke!) simply doesn't have the IPC 'horsepower' to compete with AMD - they rely on clockspeed and optimized software to stay with AMD. Intel was hoping to keep cranking the clock up and up and now they can't do that they're putting more cache in to make up for it. Then they'll go dual-core but ultimately they need to go the high IPC route as AMD have done. I'll be much happier when Intel throw Netbust in the bin and we see some kickass dual-core Pentium M desktop parts. :)

I own an Intel system now, and I can't complain. Maybe it's not the fastest, but I would like to see the above statement come true. It's what I've been waiting for since the release of Socket LGA.

Elledan said:
The P4 is dead, long live the P3
lol, true dat. :)

There's an interesting article that just appeared on the Inq, pretty similar to what I was talking about (but 'published' after my post, hehe).

As for A64 vs Pentium M, it depends on what apps you use.

I've seen a handfull of reviews go the other way.

0ldman said:
As for A64 vs Pentium M, it depends on what apps you use.

I've seen a handfull of reviews go the other way.
Not to mention that Intel hasn't touched the front side bus even though they could. Yeah, I'd say that a Pentium M type desktop solution is pretty threatening.

xonik said:
Not to mention that Intel hasn't touched the front side bus even though they could. Yeah, I'd say that a Pentium M type desktop solution is pretty threatening.
I agree that it'd be a good desktop solution (afterall, it's based on the P3 designs, which competed with the Athlon with high IPC)

however, intel hasn't touched the fsb for 2 reasons.

1) It would severely compete with their "performance" p4 lines.
2) It would raise thermal requirements, which would exceed their already agressive 21W limit.

Right, that's why I said they could, and that it's in context to a desktop variant of the Pentium M, which will supercede the "performance" Pentium 4 on the desktop.

And by the way, plans for a Pentium M (aka mobile) with 533 MHz system bus have been known for several months now. I think the introduction will be in Q1.

I do care, because like it or not we need Intel to be competitive. Check out this article Inquirer Intel Article Pt. 1

I would be lying if I said I would not mind Intel getting smaller and AMD bigger, but I also don't want Intel to collapse, which btw I do not think is going to happen. Competition drives innovation, keeps prices low, and keeps everyone more or less honest. I am not a rabid f*nboy of AMD, but I have supported them since the release of the original Athlon because it was a superior product and I knew as a consumer that we needed an real alternative to the then Intel domination.

Andrew Grove, co-founder and Current Chairman of the Board of Intel, has a saying, "Only the Paranoid Survive". I often wonder if they were not paranoid enough, or perhaps too paranoid?

Kong said:
I do care, because like it or not we need Intel to be competitive. Check out this article Inquirer Intel Article Pt. 1

I would be lying if I said I would not mind Intel getting smaller and AMD bigger, but I also don't want Intel to collapse, which btw I do not think is going to happen. Competition drives innovation, keeps prices low, and keeps everyone more or less honest. I am not a rabid f*nboy of AMD, but I have supported them since the release of the original Athlon because it was a superior product and I knew as a consumer that we needed an real alternative to the then Intel domination.

paranoid?

+500000000000000

I like the new Dothans where they are right now, 400Mhz FSB @ 21 watt max. Really I'm not interested in the Dothan "upgrade" to 533mhz FSB if it means it will add another 6 watts.

It would be great if it works with the new 915M chipset, one huge request I would add would be the ability to have the ability to have CAS 1.5 timings at 266 or 333mhz when using very high quality PC3200+Cas2 or a FSB that matches 400mhz.

Kong said:
Andrew Grove, co-founder and Current Chairman of the Board of Intel, has a saying, "Only the Paranoid Survive". I often wonder if they were not paranoid enough, or perhaps too paranoid?
I think that they have been paranoid enough. Cases in point:

The mobile scene. With the advent of the Athlon XP-M and Mobile Athlon 64, Intel went straight into overdrive and fixed up their old but effective P6 core (aka Pentium III), created the Pentium M, then added wireless networking and an ambitious ad campaign known as Centrino that pretty much stopped AMD's mobile progress in its tracks.

The business/enterprise scene. The Opteron burst into the server/workstation/cluster market with very compelling performance, and eventual support from 3 out of the 4 big server makers. Rather than rest in the laurels of utter market domination, they pulled out the stops and raised FSBs, cache population, word length, and memory addressing capabilities higher than they had previously anticipated, pulling off a strong response from an arguably crippled multiprocessor architecture. I don't think Intel won the technical race, but they did probably ease doubt in a few of their customers' minds.

Of course, this latest move is another reason why Intel's paranoia is healthy and well-placed.

ZenOps said:
I like the new Dothans where they are right now, 400Mhz FSB @ 21 watt max. Really I'm not interested in the Dothan "upgrade" to 533mhz FSB if it means it will add another 6 watts.
As an owner of an industrial board for the Pentium M, this FSB upgrade is of great interest to me. Once boards with overclocking features are out, it will be a boon to the desktop user.

But for laptops, I agree wholeheartedly. I don't think the additional performance is worth it yet.

I wish I could have my pm 2ghz cpu in a desktop as well. The thing is fast. Now it is crippled by a slow bus, but in a desktop I could put some good cooling on it and crank that bus much higher.

Intel will modify the p-m and release a desktop counterpart. It will compete with the a64, maybe faster maybe not. Personally I don't care. I am by no means an intel fanatic, but all the intel chipsets I have used have been more stable than the athlon chipsets I have had. Of course that might have changed, I have been running a p-4 for over a year now and my amd before that was on amd's 760chipset.

If I upgraded today I would have to go with athlon just because the prescott runs way way too hot. The 64bit argument is kind of pointless right now. I don't see it taking hold for atleast a couple more years and by that time I'll be upgrading again anyhow.

Back