Preorder Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti $449

Still no reviews, I am not sure how Nvidia expects anyone to want to preorder such a lukewarm product before we even see if its worth it!

It cant be that hard, right?

1) GTX 1070Ti is enthusiast product.

2) Enthusiasts buy based on performance, because they desire performance

3) ??

4) preorder a $450 GPU??

You can buy a brand new 1080 for 499.99 right now. Hard to pass up the extra memory bandwidth for $50. And that comes with Destiny 2.

This feels like a way to improve 1080 sales.

Someone like me goes "1070 for $400? May as well spend $50 more and get a 1070ti. Hmm, or spend $50 more and just get the 1080..."

EVGA GTX 1070 Ti Hybrid

08G-P4-5678-KR_XL_4.jpg

Still no reviews, I am not sure how Nvidia expects anyone to want to preorder such a lukewarm product before we even see if its worth it!

Honestly with nvidia you know exactly what you are getting nowadays. They give you detailed specs and performance numbers that are actually true (if they don't give numbers you can extrapolate by looking at the specs and it checks out).

Not sure why someone would buy this over a GTX 1080??? It's a terrible value proposition at $449

Honestly with nvidia you know exactly what you are getting nowadays. They give you detailed specs and performance numbers that are actually true (if they don't give numbers you can extrapolate by looking at the specs and it checks out).

Exactly, but we know that the performance is somewhere between a $380-400 card and a $500 card. Does anyone really not have $500, but have $450 for a graphcis card? Thats more than a PS4 PRO. This card is silly. I think its marketed like this: "The GTX 1070TI is for enthusiast gamers who want more than 5700 points but less than 6300 points in 3Dmark Firestrike"

I don't see the point of this card, in all honesty. If you were waiting for Vega you're going to get a Vega, especially if you're in the FreeSync camp (yes, I know there are issues currently being discussed but in general this is why you waited). If you weren't waiting for Vega and wanted something like the 1070 Ti, you already bought a 1070 or 1080.

There's also no way nVidia would know whether or not a 1070 Ti will hold up to a Vega 56 long-term as RTG eeks out a few more percentage points of performance from the architecture. Something really smells from this release and it's not the smell of green, IMO.

I don't see the point of this card, in all honesty. If you were waiting for Vega you're going to get a Vega, especially if you're in the FreeSync camp (yes, I know there are issues currently being discussed but in general this is why you waited). If you weren't waiting for Vega and wanted something like the 1070 Ti, you already bought a 1070 or 1080.

There's also no way nVidia would know whether or not a 1070 Ti will hold up to a Vega 56 long-term as RTG eeks out a few more percentage points of performance from the architecture. Something really smells from this release and it's not the smell of green, IMO.

This is just Nvidia continuing to curb stomp AMD in retail and online sales by offering consumers more choices at various price points. The Vega 56 had a little niche between the 1070 and 1080. Now it is is less interesting since Nvidia has a direct competitor to it. Meanwhile shelves and online retailers continue to fill up with custom design SKUs for Nvidia cards, and all AMD can manage to get sold is poorly cooled blower models.

I've personally never seen a more dead new GPU card release than for this 1070 Ti ... anyone else here not caring much about this release besides myself ? Everyone knew MSRP was bust before it began.
The card gamers would have wanted (past tense intended) will sell for almost $100 more than a used but warranted EVGA 1080 FTW ... so zero incentive to buy a 1070 Ti let alone pre-order one

Last edited:
Found a local 1080 today for $440 so jumped on it. Craigslist second hand but is working fine and warranty is still up, plus no tax / shipping. 1080 (and 1070/1060) prices seem to be coming down lately, so it'll be curious to see how this all plays out in the end.

Yeah everyone buying used 1080s is making me wonder why nvidia thought there would be a market for 1070Ti other than EOL 1070 and it would then be the only card left under 500 worth using at 4k

My father in law jumped into one of these, against my advice. He's got a Z420 HP Workstation with an E5-1620, and wants to play some VR games and experiences. I kept telling him, 'pick up a 1070' You'll be able to get them for ~350 soon. I mean, you can close to that right now with the right Jet.com coupons.

Nope... $500 for an EVGA 1070ti.

I also talked him out of getting an AIO water cooler for that HP workstation since he can't overclock it.

Not sure how I feel about this either, especially since you can find used 1080's on the regular for low 400's.

I understand nVidia wants to compete with Vega, but making a card with performance between a 1070 and a 1080 is nuts...

But on nVidia's side of thinking, there's little to no R&D necessary since Pascal's been out for over a year. Just disable a couple of cores or ROP's (or whatever number is lower), release it, and call it a day.

I've just been onto one of the UK e-tailers and pulled up 1070,1070ti and 1080 cards. Between £449.99 and £500 I can get all sorts of 1070's, a few 1070Ti's and at least 3 1080's. Why would I not go with the 1080?

This product is a total waste of everyone's time.

MSI Aero 1080 for $469 + Destiny 2 after promo code on Newegg right now.

What 1080 Hybrids I see out there are close to or exceeding 1080 Ti (non-Hybrid) prices (I would say low stock & no one is making new runs of the 1080 Hybrid cards?), and a 1070 Ti Hybrid would be 30 bucks over the cost of a 1070 Hybrid, so the EVGA GTX 1070 Ti Hybrid is the card I am looking towards for a Coffee Lake (i7 8700K) build in a Phanteks Evolv Shift chassis...

Back