Prelude to receiver using optical=silence

Sphere

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Apr 13, 2005
Messages
2,389
Hello everyone,

I'm unable to get any sound coming from the Prelude to the receiver(HK AVR 247) It works just fine in analog, but I just can't get optical function.

I've turned it on in the drivers just by enabling DDL, but no go.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Thanks,

Sphere

Edit: After digging a bit further, I see that in order to adjust the settings other than your basic, I have to hook it up to a display and set through the OSD. I'll have to find some time and see if that may have been the culprit. I have a feeling optical is not set up by default.
 
Sometimes there are hoops to jump through to enable it, both on the receiver and source ends. It takes a little bit of learning your equipment. Let us know if you can't get it figured out (first thing I'm going to do if that's the case is read your f'n manuals...:D).
 
Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling your sound card drivers? It's worth a shot to rule out software or driver related issues. RTFM! :p
 
It appears to be on the receivers end. I wish reading the manual was that quick, but it's not. I'll have to hold off until I have the time to hook it up to a monitor, since using the on screen display is essentially where you set everything up.
 
here are some basics

set the input on your receiver to digital

set your output on your sound card to ANALOG when using DDL(For some reason I have to for analog to work)
 
here are some basics

set the input on your receiver to digital

set your output on your sound card to ANALOG when using DDL(For some reason I have to for analog to work)

Thanks,

I went into the OSD on the reciever, but it won't let me change the analog to digital. No idea what's going on.
 
Thanks,

I went into the OSD on the reciever, but it won't let me change the analog to digital. No idea what's going on.

What input are you using?
is there an auto option for input type?

also did you try setting your output mode to analog on your pc, while enabling DDL/DTSc
 
There is 3 optical inputs, I tried them all. From Prelude output to receiver input. There is an option in the OSD on the receiver, but it will not allow me to change it to from analog.

I did try setting the output to analog. Nothing comes out of the receiver unfortunately. I'm not sure if I have a bum unit or what, but I can not change the setting from analog in the receivers OSD. :confused:
 
I mean what input are you using on your receiver, certain inputs cannot be changed to digital
for example external in, or dvd direct or w/e

try a different input
 
Finally figured it out. Thanks Digital Viper-X-.

I needed to switch to any source, then hook it up to the monitor to use the OSD and change to optical.

Thanks for your help, you got the ball rolling :)
 
Sometimes there are hoops to jump through to enable it, both on the receiver and source ends. It takes a little bit of learning your equipment. Let us know if you can't get it figured out (first thing I'm going to do if that's the case is read your f'n manuals...:D).

I'll say,

Every time I reformat I forget how to get the DTS/DDL to work.
 
Now that I know how to enable it, all I had to do was go in and *tick* DDL, that was it :)

I must say, this kicks the living snot out of the Z5500's.
 
I must say, this kicks the living snot out of the Z5500's.

And now you know why I keep beating that poor dead horsie.

Yeah, I used to have Logitech speakers back in the day. They're in a box somewhere.
 
And now you know why I keep beating that poor dead horsie.

Yeah, I used to have Logitech speakers back in the day. They're in a box somewhere.

I sure do. I had been complacent for a few years with the Logitech and always thought about doing something different, but never acted upon it. I can honestly say that the Z5500's are nice if your on a really tight budget, but spending a bit more will surely make the purchaser much happier in the long run.

It's interesting, one thing I didn't want to give up on the Logitech system was the ability to play music in 5.1, it's an acquired taste. After running DDL into the reciever, I can't believe that I actually liked the soundstage from 5.1. The 2.1 is so much more powerful and pronounced.

With the five speakers I purchased form The Speaker Company (which I'm am extremely pleased with, they've exceed my expectations) I added a Dayton 10" powered sub to the mix. I have to get used to not having muddy bass anymore :D
 
It's interesting, one thing I didn't want to give up on the Logitech system was the ability to play music in 5.1, it's an acquired taste. After running DDL into the reciever, I can't believe that I actually liked the soundstage from 5.1. The 2.1 is so much more powerful and pronounced.

IMO a properly set up 2.1 system is much more enjoyable for music. I see where you're coming from--in principle 5.1 sound should be better, or at least immerse you more in the music, right? I've dabbled in music through my 5.1, even music encoded in DTS surround, and still end up feeling that stereo provides a more satisfying listening experience. To each his own though...
 
I actually had time last night to spend a couple hours just listening to music. I dabbled with 2.1 and surround. I found that it all depends on the disc, as to how it sounds in surround. Some just didn't cut it, while others sounded excellent (I was using DTS)
 
Out of curiosity, you might try repositioning the speakers slightly, playing with the angles, sub position, so forth. It could be an interference thing.
 
Out of curiosity, you might try repositioning the speakers slightly, playing with the angles, sub position, so forth. It could be an interference thing.

That is my next project, I need to find a corner to put the sub in and adjusting the angles to hit the sweet spot.
 
Back
Top