Prebuilt Choices on $1000?

Squalish

Gawd
I'm much in favor of homebuilding, but a relative has been granted $1000 for a new gaming system on the condition that it be mostly or entirely put together and warrantied by a large company. Though I've always been consulted, it's not my normal set of restrictions, and I'm not sure what to recommend - I'm not terribly familiar with the market for prebuilt gaming systems.

So what type of choices do we have? I observed this deal a few weeks ago, but it was over before he was aware of the gift.

Requirements:
*Dual core at least, quad preferred but not necessary
*Needs to be able to play Orange Box reasonably well
*Wants a new 22" screen, but probably not willing to sacrifice more than 50% of his framerate for it over a cheaper 19".
*Vista Shitty (or whatever cheap version will allow DX10+) would be nice, even if it won't be booted into terribly often (we favor 2kPro)
*Durability - in all liklihood, this thing won't be opened for years
*Decent mobo audio output

Doesn't care about:
*holywars - intel/amd/nvidia, whatever works best
*No non-factory overclocking, unfortunately.
*Looks
*BD/HDDVD

He currently has:
*Antec Sonata I
*Gigabyte K8NS (Nforce3-based) mobo which is absolutely the most irritating piece of shit ever, drivers/troubleshootingwise
*Singlecore Athlon64 3200+
*512MB PC3200 RAM (a sore spot - he managed to nuke two other dimms and destroy all but one of the DIMM slots by pressing too hard and trying to upgrade on a carpet)
*Geforce 6800
*a 17" CRT

So anything will be a pretty substantial improvement. PC expected to last at least 3 years. We're willing to wait a few weeks if required for a good deal.

Check out this PC boutique builders:
- Velocity Micro
- AVA Direct
- Puget Systems
- Maingear

Though for $1000 for a prebuilt gaming rig, you are looking at significantly lower specs than a DIY setup. But the extra support you get should offset that cost a bit. In addition, you really don't need a high-end setup for any of the Orange Box games. My bro's 7600GT handles HL2 EP2, TF2 and Portal fairly well at 1280x1024.

We're looking at developing Spider...so just bear with me.

I am getting the stuff up for it, I think you'll be impressed.

Back