Pre-assembled PC online

Casbah

n00b
Hi all,

So I'm planning to buy a new desktop for myself. It's going to be a general purpose mid to high-end machine as I do play games as well.

I have assembled my own desktop in the past, and I had to take it back to the shop since one of the RAM modules was DOA. I recently moved to Seattle and I don't know the area well yet, and I don't own a car either so I prefer not to have to deal with the hassle of buying individual parts and dealing with bad hardware myself.

I thought about going with a vendor like Dell, I found this machine to be decent for my uses, but I want a better graphics card (I'm thinking of getting a GTX 560), and I already have a Win 7 license, so I don't want to pay for another one -- never mind all the useless software that comes installed with a vendor machine.

Do any of you recommend websites where I can specify which components I want and they'd assemble it and ship the PC to me, or any hardware stores in Seattle that can do the same?

Thanks

http://www.ibuypower.com/
http://www.buydirectpc.com/
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

All these sites let you customize. I don't know if there's any bloatware, but it can't be as much as a Dell. I imagine these most have Windows installed though.

So if you want something without software. Try ebaying "barebones PC"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Barebones-Compu...esktop_PCs&hash=item5d2f793ddb#ht_5710wt_1396

Here's one I came across. Seems to have what you want, no Windows installation, no software, and the ability to customize what parts you want if you scroll down.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I do not recommend Cyberpower or iBuypower as they have a history of making sub-par quality PCs and horrible customer support. There's a reason why they're so cheap.

I recommend the following PC Boutques:
- Puget Systems
- Maingear
- Max Force PC

Cyberpower and iBuypower also like to skimp out on the PSUs (which is why they're so cheap). Being such a vital component to any build, the PSU should never be the part to save money on.

I've heard good things from:
-Puget Systems
-Digital Storm Online
-Maingear

While prices from these boutiques are a bit higher than cyberpower or ibuypower, you're paying for quality builds and fantastic customer support. As the old saying goes; "You get what you pay for."

Also, nothing wrong with getting that Dell setup you listed. If you seek more graphics power, do what I did, just upgrade the graphics card + power supply. I bought a refurbished Dell from a third-party vendor for quite a good deal a few years back and upgraded the graphics card to a 4850 and the power supply to a decent Enhance 500 watt PSU. Total cost for upgrades = < $100. Not bad for C2Q, 6GB Ram, and 640GB HD + HD 4850 + 500w PSU. If upgrading the PSU/GPU proves to be a bit too technical for you, there's plenty of forums, videos on how to do so. Google is your friend.

Last edited:
If you have a case, power supply and optical drive, I HIGHLY recommend these guys: http://www.jncs.com/php2/bundle-by-mobo.php

You can order a motherboard bundle, and they assemble and test for you.
When it arrives nice in it's box, you finish the build including formatting your OS.
They will support it for you.

You can also email or call and request specific or different components than they offer.

I did this twice about 7 or 8 years back before I started building everything myself. It gives you the ability to reuse you stable peripherals and select the components you want already tested and warranteed.

I have purchased two bundles from JNCS during the past decade and have had no issues with either purchase and support.

I got my system from Max Force PC,over two years later it's still going strong without a single problem. I checked out a lot of builders,Max had the best prices,total freedom in choosing all the components,a three year warranty,and did a great job with assembly and overclocking.

My buddy bought a system from http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ and it came in working, about half an hour later, 750 watts power supply died. So he called them, and they sent him 850 watt power supply. Seems like a good good customer service to me. But it's probably best to pick a decent PSU, not cyberpower branded PSU. He is very happy with the system :)

I wanted to throw something in this post so I could track on it more easily, but I am basically in the same boat. Im looking for a pre-built gaming powerhouse that I could make to my specifications and still keep it under 2k. Dont get me wrong I will still use all of the stuff that comes in the office home and student 2010, but I am mainly buying it for The Old Republic. But like Casbah said, where should I go? And for that matter what should I get? I was looking hard at Cyber Power so thanks for starting this thread Casbah!

Cyberpower and I buy power are to be vary of. They don't seem to know what they're doing so you will probably have to do a fair number of tweaks to get it working well. But if you have some skills with pc's they can be fine. I'd recommend you have them not install the os tho.

. But like Casbah said, where should I go? And for that matter what should I get? I was looking hard at Cyber Power so thanks for starting this thread Casbah!

A few things:
1) Please make your own thread as your request is different from the OP since you're also asking for actual hardware recommendations in addition to
2) Definitely avoid Cyberpower. Significantly better computer boutiques have already been recommended in this thread. They cost more but you get better quality and customer support in return.

I remember www.gamepc.com from back in the day.

You can choose to not purchase the OS. They also offer dual boot linux/Win/etc. choices if interested.

You can have them build it or have them ship all the parts to you to build yourself while saving some cash.

Buying from Amazon/Newegg/Directron is the cheaper route. But it doesn't sound like the path you want to take.

I think if you buy parts from nci xus you can have them build it for $50

I do not recommend Cyberpower or iBuypower as they have a history of making sub-par quality PCs and horrible customer support. There's a reason why they're so cheap.

I recommend the following PC Boutques:
- Puget Systems
- Maingear
- Max Force PC

Vid card died, got upgraded, no hassles...machine is fabulous 3 years running.

When I was shopping Max beat out Cyber and iBuy on price by a good $200. I don't know if that holds true nowadays but you can always check that out for yourself.

To the OP,

If you buy from good service companies like Newegg, they will in most cases authorize shipping back to them for any issues with the hardware. I know it's a pain to deal with if you don't have a car but sending back smaller items like memory or motherboards shouldn't be a big deal.

For a plain end to end support with everything covered, the pre-build solution is the best. :)

TigerDirect also has a small selection of custom gaming PCs.

Some of their barebones systems look decent. You'd need a GPU, possibly a PSU and a monitor if you don't have one already, but the prices are pretty good.

That's only good if you want to build and support it yourself, plus you'll usually wind up with an AMD CPU, but if money is tight it might be an option.

Caveat: Never bought a barebones from TD, and you're better off with a botique if you need support and absolutely don't want to put it together (bust out that camera and take pics! :D )

OP: I think you can have the USPS schedule a pickup at your residence. You'd probably have to be there (at their convenience) but that might be an option for returns. Or any nearby FedEx/UPS dropbox.

[edit] If you listen to anyone, listen to Danny Bui. He knows his stuff. :cool:

Back