Practicality: Pump/Res Combo vs Discrete Pump

Hi all!

With the death of my D5, I'm considering a slight change to my setup.

I currently have an XSPC Photon D5 reservoir, and while it's a nice piece of kit and I've enjoyed it, one thing really bugs me: the inlet and discharge ports are so close internally that bleeding the system takes for ever. Bubbles coming back into the res from the system just get reingested by the pump.

I'm considering getting an EK Revo D5 top with my new pump, and replacing my D5 Photon with a regular Photon res. I'll put a small threaded downpipe into the bottom of the new res (so the return line comes in through it), and hopefully fix the air ingestion problem.

Apart from the obvious drawbacks of cost and fittings, are there any other compelling reasons to do this? I'm curious to get some perspectives from more experienced watercoolers.

Not sure if there really is anything practical about a custom cooling loop :D

I can't see there being much difference unless you can put the pump feed at the opposite end of the res from the res return port. From what I have seen of the stand-alone Photon res the fill port is at one end while the G1/4 ports are all at the other end which means your pump intake is still awful close to the res return port(s). There won't be much getting away from air ingestion unless you can stand it up on end with the fill port at the top (at least while you are filling it)- which would be the same solution with both res types. The discreet pump & res would be marginally better since the ports are a bit further away, but only you can answer if it is enough to justify spending the cost of a new res, a pump cap and more tubing/fittings. It wouldn't be for me (I'm a cheapskate!).

To speed filling, priming and I used to simply take my loop out of the system and do the main filling outside of the system. When it is reasonably bubble free - carefully put it back in (with a bay res you need a fair bit of tube slack to wangle that). That might be a real challenge for you with your hard and stainless tubing.

Well, practicality is relative, I think. :D

I went ahead and placed the order. The new res wasn't too pricy, and I've got all the fittings I need.

I'll post a picture when I'm done. I will be able to cut down on the ingestion, I think, but we'll see how that goes. I'll be putting a tube in the res return port that extends a couple inches into the res, directing return fluid and bubbles toward the surface with a bit of separation from the suction port.

You're right about it being a pain with hard tubing, so I'm trying to take the "ugh" out of it as much as possible. XD

I'll post a picture when I'm done.
As promised:
IMG_20180716_193304846.jpg

Unfortunately, I'll need to mod that reservoir in order to get a pipe where I want it in there. In the plus side though, the separate mount for the pump did quiet down my system a bit.

Back