Powerful Enough For A 6970?

KublaKhan

Limp Gawd
I've been offered a XFX 6970, but want to double check that my power supply can handle the card.

I currently have an Apevia ATX-JV650W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148041

Current System:

AMD Athlon II x4 635 (not oc'd)
Gigabyte 5850 OC
4 GB DDR3
3 x hdd (sata)
1 x 120mm intake
1 x 120mm exhaust

I don't plan on overclocking the CPU or the GPU and the most stressful game I play is BF3.

Last edited:
That power supply "Should" be enough, but if it were me, I would not trust Apevia ratings all that much.

If your rig powers a 5850 just fine, I'm thinking your PSU quality is decent AND 650w is plenty.

Thanks for the info. The PSU was in the system when I got it (traded a 360). The 5850 is the Gigabyte Overclocked Edition with 765/1000 and I've pushed it a little further than that (but have since returned it to stock) same with the CPU.

I had the 635 at 3.1GHz (a modest OC, for sure) with a minor bump in voltage. I only returned it to stock to lower the temps (factory cooler).

I know the 6970 wants "x" amount of amps on the 12v rail, but since my PSU has 4 rails, do I add each rail? Each of the four rails: 15, 13, 13, 13.

The PSU has the connectors, 2 x 6 pins + a 2 pin to make a 6 & 8 configuration, exactly enough for the 6970.

Any further info is much appreciated.

I know the 6970 wants "x" amount of amps on the 12v rail, but since my PSU has 4 rails, do I add each rail? Each of the four rails: 15, 13, 13, 13.
No you do not add up the rails. You never do that. You have to look at the total amperage or wattage available for the entire +12V rail. That info is usually printed right on the PSU label. However, you have a bigger problem.

While yes a 650W PSU would be enough for your setup, the problem is that you have an Apevia PSU. They NEVER provide their rated wattage under real world conditions. They're pretty much shitty power supplies:
Apevia ATX-AS500W-BL
Apevia Warlock Power 900W
XQPack's Included 420W PSU
Aspire Beast 680W Power Supply

So I would highly recommend just getting a new PSU ASAP. It's sheer luck that your current system has lasted this long with such a shitty power supply. This will be more than enough power:
$85 - Seasonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W Modular PSU

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back