Power supply whining

Kelv

Limp Gawd
I posted this in SFF but I really want a quick answer in case I could cause serious damage to my computer.

This is the 600w power supply by Silverstone for their SG07 MITX case. It doesn't occur when using windows normally.

While running Furmark, the sound fluxuates based on how much of the ring you can view, when the sides overlap (and the fps shoots up to 150) the sound fades and then when comes back.

I made a video to show it. I put my iPhone right up to the computer which made it easier to hear but also made the fans much louder so ignore the basic fan sound, its only the really high pitched sound that I'm worried about. Other than that, the computer is essentially silent since I'm using a 470 SOC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07ykzxwOZk8

Original post:
I got my SG07 in mid July and was using a 4850 until my GTX 470 SOC got back from an RMA. Just this past week I noticed the system was making more noise while I was playing games. I use a headset almost all of the time so it was only noticable when I took them off. I opened it up today and tried to find where the sound was coming from. I thought it was the GPU even though its supposed to be quite so I ramped up the fan with Afterburner and those fans were a much different and more pleasant sound. It's hard to pinpoint the source the nose but it seems to be most likely the power supply.

The last thing I want to do is be without the computer. I already had to wait 3 weeks for the 470. It seems this whine may be a common problem with power supplies but most people don't recommend opening it up and fixing it.

What can I do?

Are you sure it's the PSU and not the video card? In any case, it's not harmful, but if it annoys you to the point where you can't stand it, your best option is to RMA the offending piece of hardware.

Are you sure it's the PSU and not the video card? In any case, it's not harmful, but if it annoys you to the point where you can't stand it, your best option is to RMA the offending piece of hardware.
I'm not really sure since everything is so close together, the negatives of SFF. I know its not the gpu fans since I locked them with Afterburner and I got the same result. What else could be making the sound other than a fan?

Try to isolate the PSU and the GPU with a piece of card board such as one that is found on the back of a notebook and then place your recording device on either side to determine which it is.

Thats a great PSU, very rare that you get the whine with them. Even more rare that someone has good enough hearing to notice it. Although annoying, it is usually benign.

If it is inteed coming from your GPU then I have no idea.

Back