Power Supply Suggestions

fibroptikl

Supreme [H]ardness
I currently have two systems; a P3 650 that has my drives for my RAID array in it. It runs off two power supplies (a 250 Watt that powers the board, and boot drive) and a Rosewill 500 watt that powers the drives (has 8 molex connectors). Well I experienced some problems, and was ready to get a new RAID setup, but after some thought (and getting it up and working again) I am going to keep it (has enough space to last me another 8 months).

I also have another computer; a Celeron D 2.8GHz that acts as a server I can backup my RAID array to, and also has a drive that holds my general data (programs, a few movies, tv shows, etc). It's power supply is an Antec 480 Watt in a Sonata II case.

However, I plan to move the Celeron D 2.8GHz into the box that has the P3 650 (It's a CoolerMaster CM Stacker). (Eventually I'll upgrade to a Pentium D or something)

Problem is, I'll need to power a lot of hard drives (though with a new array in August, the drives will be cut in half).

What power supply can I get that will power a lot of drives (10+)?

I don't have time to crack my case and mess up the wiring job to count connectors but PC Power and Cooling is awesome about answering questions about that sort of stuff with their units though. PM me and I'll give you the email address of the guy who answered my questions about that. I don't want to post it here just in case spam bots are about ;-).

It looks like I will purchase a PC Power & Cooling 610 - it has 8 molex connectors (enough for my drives) and 6 SATA connectors (enough for the backup drives + boot, etc).

Since it's also an EPS12V, I can use it to power my Dual Xeon box (once I get some RAM).

Ordered a Silencer 610 - should be enough to power my system, and I should be able to sleep a bit better at night.

Back