Power Supply lifespan. When to replace?

Despotes

Gawd
I've had my Silverstone Zeus 850 for about 8 or 9 years w/o any problems.
When is it recommended to replace your power supply? I'd like to avoid a potential catastrophic failure.
Is there an average lifespan for a quality power supply?

I usually replace every major rebuild I do, so I get about 6-8 years on each unit, though I also reuse them in lesser browsing rigs and what not. There's a ton of factors that go into the life span of a psu so I doubt there's any real way to say how long X model will last. Though I can say the higher end producers, their stuff will work for years. Generics and the cheap Antecs seem to last about 2 years.

You'll see problems when it's starting to go from age though. Blue screens, other random errors.

I would concur. Just replaced my PC Power and cooling 750w silencer after 7 years. No real issues yet, but there was and audible coil whine. Some PSUs are coming with a 10 year warranty such as the evga supernovas, which I grabbed on sale recently.

Good read. Thanks.
I'll start researching power supplies in the 900-1K-ish range.
Any brand recommendations for a quality PS? DSP worth it?

I replaced a 1200W iStarUSA psu with the Corsair in my sig. The PSU reviews here will steer you well. Corsair has been my goto in other builds for a while now. I think Seasonic is good as well.

Good read. Thanks.

Nope. 1k isn't enough. You need a 1500 watt PSU for your 2600k and 970. :rolleyes:

Good read. Thanks.

Why would you want a 1 kW PSU for a system that normally pulls something like in the ~300W range? It's complete overkill.

Why would you want a 1 kW PSU for a system that normally pulls something like in the ~300W range? It's complete overkill.

Because obviously every 10 watt overkill nets them 1 additional FPS. ;)

Do you know my upgrade plans schmo? Instead of being hyper critical try thinking.

Sorry, but someone running a 970 and 2600k on an outdated PSU now is not going to be upgrading to dual 390X (or similar) with a 5820k. Or triple 390X with Skylake-K.

I've seen many people think they need XXX watts for "future upgrades," and 99% of those future upgrades never end up happening.

Edit: unless you are actively budgeting the $1500 in hardware upgrades to make use of a 1kw power supply, I will not change my stance on your decision to buy a 1kw PSU a poor and stupid move, unless it is done because it was an unbeatable deal. Which it is clearly not in your case. And I severely doubt you will go from a 970 to triple 780s or 290Xs.

Last edited:
Sorry, but someone running a 970 and 2600k on an outdated PSU now is not going to be upgrading to dual 390X (or similar) with a 5820k. Or triple 390X with Skylake-K.

I've seen many people think they need XXX watts for "future upgrades," and 99% of those future upgrades never end up happening.

AGAIN, you are NOT aware of my future plans. Why continue to criticize and assume? Make a POSITIVE contribution. You can do it. Try reeeeally hard. ;)

And I will continue to criticize and assume as long as you choose not to make your plans known.

You didn't reveal anything. If you want to get proper help, properly explain yourself. If you're so full of yourself that you don't feel the need to explain anything, then most of us here will not give you any advice. Because apparently you're smarter than us, already know what you need, you don't need our help choosing a PSU.

Despo, post 5 doesn't reveal anything about your upgrade plans. No way for anyone on any forum make a suggestion about what kind of psu to purchase. 1kw+units are some decent dough and there's truly no reason to spend the extra money when a smaller unit would suffice.

What are your build plans?

Good read. Thanks.

This is my post. It's pretty simple.
I did NOT ask what wattage PS is recommended for my current build.
I asked what brand is still recommended and if DSP is worth it.
I'm perfectly aware of the power requirement calculators and needs of various systems.

I'm sorry I can't satiate your need to tell me what you think I need.

Accept the fact that you don't need to know my future plans because they are IRRELEVANT to my question. I'm not even 100% sure at this time.
Talk about exacerbating.
Which brands and perhaps models are still recommended in the 900K-1K range?
Is that so hard????
Is the SeaSonic X-1050 still a decent PS? Are there any current issues with Seasonic? Coil whine ect?

Can we agree to move on past the power requirements? I do appreciate the help in trying to save me some money.

Last edited:
If you want to buy a huge power supply, just go and do it. Seasonic is fine if you don't mind the potential of coil whine, otherwise go Flextronics or whatever.

I agree with Tsumi that it's overkill. Also if you buy a significantly-oversized PSU, it's going to lower the efficiency of the unit by several percent, possibly even up to 10%.

You didn't reveal anything. If you want to get proper help, properly explain yourself. If you're so full of yourself that you don't feel the need to explain anything, then most of us here will not give you any advice. Because apparently you're smarter than us, already know what you need, you don't need our help choosing a PSU.

This right here.

Despo, if all you want is a 1kw+, then buy one. Won't really matter when you're spending 2-300 on a 1k+ unit, all the brands will be in the same category.

Since what you're powering with this unit is irrelevant, than just go to amazon/newegg, search 1kw+ units, and sort my popularity. No further recommendations can be given by anyone. Much like buying a truck. You ask for the best one and they'll ask what are you going to use it for. Be rather stupid to get an F350 when you are only ever going to pull is a jon boat.

You should probably also come off the ranting bit. Makes you come across extremely childish.

Despo, if all you want is a 1kw+, then buy one. Won't really matter when you're spending 2-300 on a 1k+ unit, all the brands will be in the same category.

Since what you're powering with this unit is irrelevant, than just go to amazon/newegg, search 1kw+ units, and sort my popularity. No further recommendations can be given by anyone. Much like buying a truck. You ask for the best one and they'll ask what are you going to use it for. Be rather stupid to get an F350 when you are only ever going to pull is a jon boat.

You should probably also come off the ranting bit. Makes you come across extremely childish.

Exactly. If he's buying extreme overkill because he wants to make sure it doesn't limit his upgrade plans, he should be following my "advice" to get a 1500/1600 watt PSU. Why stop at 1k?

Are you guys all under 13? You're all just as arrogant and assuming and can't answer a simple question. Holy crap mind games of the prepubescent
The SeaSonic X-1050 is only $179. Is coil whine that common with Seasonic across all models?

Tsumi get the sand out of your vagina and stop being a condescending know it all.
I already have a good idea of what I want for a system upgrade. Not 100%, but the requirements for power are already figured out. I'm sorry I can't give you the pleasure of asking you what I need for wattage.
If you had stuck to only answering precisely what I asked (Post 5) and not telling me what I didn't ask we'd be good.
Instead everybody has to play the, "That's not what you need" game and not actually listen to what I'm asking.
AGAIN, I ONLY ASKED FOR THE MAKE OF POWER SUPPLY THAT IS RECOMMENDED, NOT THE RECOMMENDED WATTAGE FOR MY CURRENT SYSTEM. NOT ONCE DID I ASK THAT. That part IS irrelevant because it is already figured out. Read this 10 times and maybe it will sink in. Jeeesh!

Dude, stop your whining. Go to a different forum or something. You're getting answers along with suggestions and seriously if you are set on a big PSU then just ignore the suggestions that you buy something more appropriate. You're going to lose a bunch of efficiency but that's a problem you can deal with.

Last edited:
You're running a 400 watt system on a 850 watt PSU. And we are supposed to believe you have things figured out?

How hard is it to state what you will be upgrading to, or at least the rough idea? It's not as if hardware is classified. Nor are the people here going to go into a jealous rage over what you have. But hey, if you think you're smarter than us when it comes to your hardware power requirements, you're smart enough to figure out the best PSU on your own. It's not like professional PSU reviews don't exist or anything.

*insert Michael Jackson eating popcorn picture*

Pretty sure that a simple google search will reveal the singular piece of information you are seemingly searching for Despo. After your tirade in this thread I seriously doubt you'll get anyone new coming in and not trolling you.

Best of luck.

If you run your computer 24/7 the fan will probably die around the 5 year mark. I still have a Antec true 430 in my old system which is around 12 years old still working fine. The hours are not that high and the fans have not died. Judging by the heat coming from it I'd say it's about 70% efficient but the rails are strong.

Course if you build a modern system you want a matching new modern PSU for it, that is when you upgrade.

Are you guys all under 13? You're all just as arrogant and assuming and can't answer a simple question. Holy crap mind games of the prepubescent
The SeaSonic X-1050 is only $179. Is coil whine that common with Seasonic across all models?

Tsumi get the sand out of your vagina and stop being a condescending know it all.
I already have a good idea of what I want for a system upgrade. Not 100%, but the requirements for power are already figured out. I'm sorry I can't give you the pleasure of asking you what I need for wattage.
If you had stuck to only answering precisely what I asked (Post 5) and not telling me what I didn't ask we'd be good.
Instead everybody has to play the, "That's not what you need" game and not actually listen to what I'm asking.
AGAIN, I ONLY ASKED FOR THE MAKE OF POWER SUPPLY THAT IS RECOMMENDED, NOT THE RECOMMENDED WATTAGE FOR MY CURRENT SYSTEM. NOT ONCE DID I ASK THAT. That part IS irrelevant because it is already figured out. Read this 10 times and maybe it will sink in. Jeeesh!

Typical, of course it is everyone elses fault. Also, insulting others is a great way to get good advice.

I think thins will match your taste - > Rosewill LIGHTNING-1300w
17-182-063-TS

I guess its bad to make blanket statements but as a hole, are power supply's typically most efficient around 50% usage mark? Either way at times its nice to have the extra power if your the type that might drop a couple 290x gpus into it one day and overclock amd and or older intel cpus like mine that can draw a bit more power than more efficient newer stuff

I guess its bad to make blanket statements but as a hole, are power supply's typically most efficient around 50% usage mark? Either way at times its nice to have the extra power if your the type that might drop a couple 290x gpus into it one day and overclock amd and or older intel cpus like mine that can draw a bit more power than more efficient newer stuff

This is true, however, unless you're running a mining/folding/BOINC/other similar rig, your computer is never at 100% load. This is a good read if you're interested: http://www.overclock.net/t/872013/50-load-myth

In general, aim for 10-20% overhead of maximum theoretical load. Unless you just get an insanely good deal on a larger power supply.

Also, someone running the latest gen GPU does not just suddenly drop in 2 or 3 older gen GPUs. Unless it was given to them for free, or something to that effect.

To answer the original question lol..

I'm in the same boat as poster 2. I just upgraded my PC Power & Cooling 750w after 8 years with no noticeable change. Worked amazing. Its in an older system and I decided to go test a tri-sli 8800gtx build and the 750 was maxed and randomly restarting.

Age to replace is really dependant on what you have done with the supply.

Back