Power supply fried, need some quick help please:)

slacker6

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 22, 2002
Messages
420
So my old Antec PP412x (I think it's a 20 +4 pin) went up in a cloud of smoke tonight. With my current mother board, Abit IT-7 Max 2 v2.0, can I order one of the newer power supplie that is 24 pin? Was looking at a Seasonic 600 watt but wasn't sure this would work. Would hate to order a nice power supply and it not work:)

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Kip
 
You can use the newer 24-pin PSUs, as the extra four-pin section just slips off the main block. What are you trying to power? Chances are, you probably won't need that S12-600.
 
Thank you for the quick response! Just powering the rig in my sig but wanted to get something bigger for future use.

Actually, the sig may not be update to reflect the 6600GT but that won't matter. So 500 watts would be good for a dual card setup if I go that way?
 
Well, just ordered a Seasonic SC-12 ( I believe) 500 watt. Can't wait to get it based on my reading here.
 
IIRC, Channel Well CWT420-ATX12 (aka Antec pp412x)

Open it up and do an autopsy...

Should we place bets on cheap ass bulging Fuhjyyu caps...failed fan, or general death by overheating?
 
Opened it last night...the board is fried right under the heatsink (I guess that's what it is) and a capacitor.

The wife was not happy with the smell:)
 
The Fuhjyyu caps they use are known to be not that great, One would hope Channel Well would smarten up, since this isn't the first one I've heard of or seen online go POOF.

I have the True 430 and I'm hoping to never see the little Antec mushroom cloud.
 
MD_Willington said:
IIRC, Channel Well CWT420-ATX12 (aka Antec pp412x)

Open it up and do an autopsy...

Should we place bets on cheap ass bulging Fuhjyyu caps...failed fan, or general death by overheating?

I have one - no bet from me. Just replaced 4 bad ones in there. Actually this one wasn't that bad as far as cooling goes - mine did have the fan go, and I waited a little too long to replace it. But the fan did move some air, and the PSU was notably loud as a result. It's Antec I think that puts the slow fans in there to call them quiet.
 
slacker6 said:
Well, just ordered a Seasonic SC-12 ( I believe) 500 watt. Can't wait to get it based on my reading here.

After doing a bit of research, I saw a couple posts. I am in need of an upgrade because my current (haha) FSP 530W only has 18A rated on the 12v rail. I just received email from evga that I'm ready for the 7900GT CO step-up, and they recommend a minimum of 28A on 12v rail.

Anyhow, I was a bit worried. so I did some reading.

malicious said:
here's a similar situation where you have a oem and retail company selling almost if not the exact same supply ... this time it is the silverstone strider 600w that normally goes for around 150 is OEM'd by Enhance which sells no doubt the same exact unit for 100.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-EN0560G - Enhance



http://www.eastluna.com/hardware/details.php?id=0981 -Silverstone


mal


I see everybody lauding Silverstone. and a 600W PSU for $100?! sheesh!


http://forums.anandtech.com/message...eyword=&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

GalvanizedYankee said:
Here is the killer deal ATM. Review, read it well. http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/ST60F/ Google for other reviews, systemscooling has a good review,IIRC.

Buy this now because they won't be around long at this price. http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-EN0560G It's the exact same PSU in the linked review.

I'm too lazy to link: Scroll down this GH page and read the thread in total, titled:
"Replacing my Antec Neopower 480 PSU"

I will not come back into this thread to do any convincing, as I did in the above un-linked thread. This deal is so good, I bought one with no real build planed for it's use yet.
I have two Zippy/Emacs and a Fortron in use at present.

...Galvanized

So, to ease my mind, I just went on over to ewiz after reading a couple more reviews on the Seasonic Strider 600W and then ordered.
 
Back
Top