Power supply for Radeon 4850

I've decided that I want to upgrade to a Radeon HD 4850 so that I can upgrade resolution on my games, and actually use AA at the same time ;)

My power supply currently is a weak 305W without any PCI-E power connectors.

My setup is a 250GB seagate SATA drive, a DVD+R drive, Core 2 Duo E6550, 2x 1GB 667 DDR2 and the planned Radeon HD 4850.

From my research, 430W is enough. Which brand should I get though? I'd prefer something affordable too.

How much do you want to spend, and do you want something relatively "future proof"? For your current usage, I'd suggest one of the Corsair line - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...00058&Description=corsair&name=Power+Supplies The HX series is "premium" but still pretty affordable for the 520 and 620 models. The VX is good for a value line, and the TX is in between. I think I saw someone talking about a deal to get the 620 for about $100 somewhere, as well.

Its smart work to calculate the wattage you need, but don't skimp on the quality of a power supply. Buy from a well reviewed and reputable company - it will save you headaches later on.

This is probably the best PSU deal out now:
Corsair 750TX 750W PSU - $98

Yes it is overkill (total in fact) but it's an excellent deal on a good quality 750W PSU. You'll won't have to worry about the PSU for awhile if you get the above PSU.

Though if you can't spend $100 on a good PSU, you can get this decent PSU for $75:
Corsair 450VX 450W PSU - $75

For the 0 people who may be interested, I actually got the 4850 and it runs on a sata>molex>pcie x2. Unexpectedly, it works fine under Ep2/FurMark on my 300W power supply. I didn't really expect success ;)

It dies immediately if I try to overclock, but that isn't much of a loss, as I didn't expect it to either.

Unexpectedly, it works fine under Ep2/FurMark on my 300W power supply. I didn't really expect success ;).

But for how long?

In the long term interests of your PC, I highly highly recommend replacing your PSU.

Back