Power supply for Dell Dimension 4400?

rayman2k2

Supreme [H]ardness
I know Dell has the proprietary PSU's...anyone know where I could get a new one for said Dell pc? I have an older one that is broken - anytime I press the power button, it doesn't turn on and the LED on the mobo that lights up when there is power is off.

Actually they quit that silly stuff several years ago. A quick look inside the case and an inventory of what connectors you need (just to be sure the replacement has sufficient connectors if you upgrade) would still be prudent but the supply in there should be nothing too weird. If your machine is the full size tower it is even more likely that just about anything will fit properly. Read the ad carefully for replacements for the other case versions if Dell offered them.

Dell Part Number: 0W848 Item ID:1848

A google brough up zillions of options from exact replacements from Dell to upgrades.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Dell+Dimension+4400+power+supply&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Yeah I did a google beforehand, I didn't know if there were some trusted companies to go after - I saw a lot of no-names I had never heard of before (except Athena).

That said, does that sound like a PSU problem to begin with?

It does sound like a PSU problem, but if you want to confirm that, disconnect the PSU completely from the PC and the wall, take a conductive object like a wire or an unfolded metal paperclip, and use it to connect the green wire on the large ATX connector to one of the black grounds. Plug the PSU into the wall while making sure the switch on the PSU is on (if it has one). If the PSU fan doesn't start up, then it's dead.

It does sound like a PSU problem, but if you want to confirm that, disconnect the PSU completely from the PC and the wall, take a conductive object like a wire or an unfolded metal paperclip, and use it to connect the green wire on the large ATX connector to one of the black grounds. Plug the PSU into the wall while making sure the switch on the PSU is on (if it has one). If the PSU fan doesn't start up, then it's dead.

heh, unfortunately its a fanless psu :\

...but how about connecting a fan to it? I guess since the PSU would turn on, the fan would too...

You're right, it did have a fan :p

However, the PSU turned on - the fan started spinning and the DVD drive and HDD starting running to.

I guess the power button doesnt work? Unfortunately its not your standard power button in a regular case and there's a ribbon cable coming from the HDD light/power button area, so I dunno if I can rig it together well...any ideas as to how to keep it running?

I guess the power button doesnt work? Unfortunately its not your standard power button in a regular case and there's a ribbon cable coming from the HDD light/power button area, so I dunno if I can rig it together well...any ideas as to how to keep it running?
You could disconnect the wires straight from the power switch itself and replace it with a new switch, although test it first by bridging the wires just to see whether or not that will work altogether.

You could disconnect the wires straight from the power switch itself and replace it with a new switch, although test it first by bridging the wires just to see whether or not that will work altogether.

Could a possible solution be to leave the paper clip in there and just plug it in? It's a thin paper clip, but I can find a thinner one, or some wire.

I guess, this would make it so that the computer is on all the time - which I'm fine with...

Could a possible solution be to leave the paper clip in there and just plug it in? It's a thin paper clip, but I can find a thinner one, or some wire.
I wouldn't do that. It might not play nicely with your motherboard.

Also, keep in mind that the fact that the PSU works with a low load doesn't necessarily mean that it is not faulty. And the motherboard itself could also be at fault.

I wouldn't do that. It might not play nicely with your motherboard.

Also, keep in mind that the fact that the PSU works with a low load doesn't necessarily mean that it is not faulty. And the motherboard itself could also be at fault.

This is true. I was initially mistaken, the LED on the mobo DOES light up. I guess I have to go and troubleshoot to see what could be at fault here :\

Back