Power supply for Crossfired 4850's

supastar1568

Limp Gawd
Hey folks,

Just curious to see what the power requirements of this card are. I have been searching through google, and have had a tough time finding some info. I do see, at newegg, that they say a 550 Watt power supply is required.

I just so happen to have a Corsair 550VX power supply sitting new in box here at home. Would this be suffice paired with say an overclocked e8400 or q6600?

Thanks!

That might be pushing your luck a bit. One card easily assumes 230W alone. I have two in crossfire on an old Pentium D system and I'm pulling 520-600W at stock speeds.

i never like to cut it close with power supply's but the reviews i saw showed the CF 4850's using 335 Under load TOTAL SYSTEM WATTS.. single card 227 total system watts.. just keep it all cool and should be able to put out the power you need but bigger is always better in efficiency it seems..

also they used this cpu for the test" CPU Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 @ 3.20GHz"

One of the guys in the ATI section runs his CF and 3.2ghz conroe setup on a corsair HX520, you'll be fine.

One of the guys in the ATI section runs his CF and 3.2ghz conroe setup on a corsair HX520, you'll be fine.
The HX520 is a 650W effective power supply. I don't know about that one he has. Also note that benchmarks often only clock the cards consumption rather than the entire PC, which the power supply must do...

Hey folks,

Just curious to see what the power requirements of this card are. I have been searching through google, and have had a tough time finding some info. I do see, at newegg, that they say a 550 Watt power supply is required.

I just so happen to have a Corsair 550VX power supply sitting new in box here at home. Would this be suffice paired with say an overclocked e8400 or q6600?

Thanks!

You should be fine, I doubt you'll be over 400W at full load.

I ran an overclocked Q6600, 4 sticks of RAM, 5 drives, and 2 HD4850s off my 400w FSP PSU. The Corsair PSU you have would be more than sufficient.

That 550W is more than fine. Keep in mind that the card can draw 110W at most. You can get a quad + 2 4850's and you won't draw 400 at LOAD, which times 80% efficiency means that you'll probably be only drawing around 300-330 at the PSU which will be fine since its not under load every second.

That 550W is more than fine. Keep in mind that the card can draw 110W at most. You can get a quad + 2 4850's and you won't draw 400 at LOAD, which times 80% efficiency means that you'll probably be only drawing around 300-330 at the PSU which will be fine since its not under load every second.
Power supply efficiency has nothing to do with how much DC power it can provide. Only efficient it is at converting AC to DC. Example: 85% efficient 400w PSU at full load = 470w load from the wall. 70% efficient 400w PSU at full load = 570w load from the wall.

I'm impressed with those Corsair PSU's... but I'd prefer to have a bit of headroom that's why I went for a 750w myself.

Similar situation here, but trying to be perhaps a little too cheap for my own good. Any thoughts on the CoolerMaster eXtreme Power 600w at Frys w/ the crossfired 4850s?

i heard only good ones from coolermaster are the REAL power ones.. and those even sux imo..

Similar situation here, but trying to be perhaps a little too cheap for my own good. Any thoughts on the CoolerMaster eXtreme Power 600w at Frys w/ the crossfired 4850s?

Hell no. The Extreme Power 600W is actually a Seventeem 500W PSU incapable of 600W. It's a decent 500W PSU but I would not recommend one for a CF setup.

You're spending $400 on video cards and want to cheap out on the PSU? :rolleyes: You can get this Corsair 750TX 750W with more than enough power for a HD4850 CF setup for only $100:
Corsair 750TX 750W PSU - $99

Hell no. The Extreme Power 600W is actually a Seventeem 500W PSU incapable of 600W. It's a decent 500W PSU but I would not recommend one for a CF setup.

You're spending $400 on video cards and want to cheap out on the PSU?

I'm spending 250 dollars on video cards and trying to cheap out on the PSU :cool: Thanks for the advice, I'll drop the coolermaster and keep my eyes open for a good deal on the Corsair. Any other recommended psu's?

I'll drop the coolermaster and keep my eyes open for a good deal on the Corsair. Any other recommended psu's?

Actually that is a good deal on the Corsair 750TX. It's MSRP is $180. And that $100 price is before rebates.:D

Really hard to recommend other PSUs at that price.

yeah, went with the tx-750 in my build. Cable management is tought, but i think i did a well job

Yup, extra long cables too.... I tied 'em up in the bottom of the case ok.... still not found a use for the nifty cloth bag it came in tho! ;)

Back