Power saving options for overclocked FX

y0bailey

Gawd
Alright...I have my FX8320 running @ 4.5ghz stable with minimal voltage bump. I have however watched my power bill increase since installing this power hungry bastard. Mobo = Sabertooth 990FX.

I want to have it clock down, save energy, etc when not needing 100% cpu usage.

I have re-enabled Cool N Quiet and C1E, however it still never clocks less than 4.5ghz when tracking it with CPUz/HWmon.

Is this even possible? What settings am I missing?

I m not an overclocker, i actually undervolt. Just an idea. Try overclocking only with the multi (set FSB back to stock) and see if Cool N Quiet works.

My unvervolted FX-6300 at idle, stays at 64W (system power draw). But i have low TDP GPU (+1 SSD, 2 HDD, 1 optical).

Thanks for the tips. I actually only Multiplier overclock (I am lazy), so that won't work. I am going to check into my windows settings, because I may have things on high performance which will disable cool n quiet. I cannot remember for the life of me.

I think high performance doesn't disable Cool N Quiet. Simply it's "harder" (takes more time) to go back to the lower clocks.

In the past, i had tried mild overclocks on older AMD CPUs and i had noticed that sometimes, oc would effectively disable Cool N Quiet and it was always a motherboard issue. Simply the mobo couldn't support OC and Cool N Quiet. But i find it hard to believe that the Sabertooth can't do both. My cheapo Asrock can OC while maintaining Cool N Quiet.

I know! It is driving me nuts and I am sure it is 1 stupid setting I cannot figure out. I may just start complete over on my OC, make sure I throttle with no overclock, and go from there. So much time about to be wasted this weekend.

Honestly, i 'd load the BIOS defaults (there must be such a setting) and then raise a bit just the multi (without touching voltage or RAM speeds) and see what happens. Say, raise it 100Mhz at stock voltage. See if it maintains Cool N Quiet.

Set windows back to default "balanced" mode. If its in high performance it will not downclock. C1E is all that needs to be enabled for the chip to idle properly.

LigTasm is right! I just tried high performance on my non OCed FX and it wouldn't clock down. You learn something every day...

Yea... so my original hunch of power savings set to high performance was the trick. Worst [H] member ever. Thanks guys!

also if you're looking reduce the power consumption, use Vcore & NB volt off-set values rather than fixing them to a static value.

On my MSI GD80v2 setting windows to power saving/balanced didn't do it for me when oc'd.. finally got found the CnQ setting in the msi, by default it is set to auto - putting it on enabled allowed it to work normally.

My processor will downclock in high performance mode. I even have the power options in CCC to not downclock the processor.

Cool and Quiet works just fine. Idles nice at 1504mhz, granted only does so in its deep idle state. It will bounce back and forth when using the computer.

My processor will downclock in high performance mode. I even have the power options in CCC to not downclock the processor.

Cool and Quiet works just fine. Idles nice at 1504mhz, granted only does so in its deep idle state. It will bounce back and forth when using the computer.

Mine does as well. The only difference in balanced and high performance mode is balanced will put 4 cores in core parking while high performance enables all cores.
edit.. mine idles down to 1400mhz. Don't know why. compared to your 1500

Set windows back to default "balanced" mode. If its in high performance it will not downclock. C1E is all that needs to be enabled for the chip to idle properly.

Interesting. Win 7 used to downclock with performance on. Win 8 is running my processor wide open. No wonder I'm about to burn up in here! Going to see if I can do balanced with the monitor never shutting off. My 7950's require a reboot as they won't wake up from being powered down. Well they do, but a minute after the display comes alive it dies permanently until I reboot. Some PowerPlay bug.

Back