power outage - tv/computer/etc wont turn on

drcrappants

Weaksauce
victim of a 3 day power outage here, but when power returned a few things would not turn on: in my room connected to 2 different power strips were a panasonic plasma TV, a computer, a small portable heater, a small lamp, and etc all stopped working (will not turn on). other things did work though, and i checked the outlets on the strips -- all working according to my cell phone charger. also, computer in another room not working.

however, 2 tvs in 2 other rooms are both operating fine. just seems to be the ones in my room. now i thought one reason might be that the current is too weak to power everything now but that doesn't seem logical (things won't turn on at all). i took my little heater to other outlets in the house and it wont work -- the little led light is on when plugged in, but turning on the heat = no effect.

i also had small touchpad charger w/usb cable connected during the outage/power return, and that does not work.

my new theory is that sometime during the outage/return of power a lot of components in the electronic devices were ruined. are fuses still used in modern electronics? PSU = busted for computer?

if you have any experience with this or knowledge, please let me know. also, what can i do to fix or replace my items?

Your power strips should have saved your electronics. Have you checked to see if the fuses in the strips are fried?

i dont know a thing about fuses or how to find them, just read up on them that they save components from being fried. is it safe toi assume that all new electronics come made with fuses, and how do i check for eacho ne?

power strip =/= surge protector?

Are you plugging in your appliances into the strip and plugging the strips into the wall to check? Have you tried plugging them individually into the wall? There's no way to really check appliances. The computer is a different story, but you'll have to tear it apart.

Did you try the PC and TV on a different socket in the home?

Did you check the fuse box and see if the fuse blew for your room?

Also a side note, if you lose power, turn everything off and unplug your strips from the wall until the power comes back on. Typically people damage their electronics when the power is restored, because they left everything in an on state, and it draws too much power all at once on the circuit. Devices tend to draw more power to turn on than to run normally.

Back