Power Flushing

thesmokingman

Supreme [H]ardness
Here's a quick example of how I setup power flushing with just one set and a half of quick disconnects, QDC. I use the Koolance QD4, two female compressions and one male threaded fitting.

35CuEg1l.jpg

Above you will see the QDC that is setup as the reservoir intake. This is the "end" of the loop before making its way back to the res. Here it is disconnected, which will then "output" used fluid into a 5gal bucket.

ij5VO64l.jpg

Here's the bucket. You can also see I taped the large funnel to the case. It is 6 dollar funnel from Kragen Auto, cut and attached via a barb to the reservoir fillport.

When connecting everything, the order that you open/close,power the pump is important. Once powered down, I disconect the HD, turn off fans, disconnect atx power. I then start by connecting the white flush hose to the res inlet QDC. This is followed by the funnel. At this point water will trickle out slowly so take care.

Fill the funnel up and have that 1 gal jug of water ready. Jump your psu, and keep the funnel topped. Pull the atx jumper BEFORE you run dry! That means you will have to leave some water in the funnel. At this point remove the flushing hose, reconnect the inlet QDC. Remove the funnel and button it back up. You are done.

This makes routine flushing much quicker and you don't have to go thru the annoyance of bleeding. I can flush whenever so ultimately I can do it more often instead dreading it and waiting a year lol.

From time to time I will also use a vinegar mix in the water to do some cleaning. I'll buy 5-6 gal jugs of distilled at 99 cents each and a gal of distilled vinegar at 3 bucks. I'll use 1 gal to flush the old fluid out. The second 1 gal jug to mix with distilled. Run that for 30 mins to an hour or so. Then I will use the remaining gal jugs to flush new distilled thru 1 at a time. With the last jug, I pour some out to mix in coolant. And work that into the loop.

After 10 minutes of vinegar. And when it's done it is all clear again.

V4QkItal.jpg

Back