• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Power Defragger?

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 10, 2004
Messages
4,645
Are there any defrag software that can make use of more RAM or free space on a separate array/drive? :D
 
I would say this is doubtful since the windows defragmentation API does not support this.
 
I don't understand the question.

I know Diskeeper has server editions.

Or am I way off base?
 
Something that would move the fragmented files to a temp directory on another drive and move them back. It just seems like that would be more efficient especially for very large files or disks that don't have space left.
 
You might give defraggler a try, though I'm not sure if it can move the files to a temp folder on another drive.
 
Something that would move the fragmented files to a temp directory on another drive and move them back.
Never heard of such a thing.

Why would moving files to a temp. position be a requirement?

You outta space?
 
Na I'm good on space for now. Mainly was just curious because for large files it's far quicker for me to just move them off the drive and put them back on layed out fresh in sync than to let a defragger spend forever on them.

I supposed running one of those good programs silently in the background might a good idea though. I've always been more of a beat on it full throttle by day though, maintenance by night type.
 
Mainly was just curious because for large files it's far quicker for me to just move them off the drive and put them back on layed out fresh in sync than to let a defragger spend forever on them.
If all the large files are in a folder can't you just tell your defrag program to ignore them?
 
I've been doing that. It's one of those things that doesn't need fixing, just more of a curiosity. Anytime I find anything 'nitpicky' I like to find creative solutions. Kind of OCD, but I've ended up with a slew of handy ass tools because of it. :D
 
Last edited:
Back
Top