Power Button Timer?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Has anyone ever seen a device like this for sale?

Since ATX power buttons just short the two pins on the motherboard, the device would be a digital timer which you set to trigger the power button at different times.

Should be doable, but my googling is coming up short, unless this is called something else, and my search terms aren't working.

Usage scenario (for me)

I have a remote backup server which receives a backup snapshot of my storage every night starting at 3am, and running until it is done.

It would be cool if I could have my backup script end with a power down command, and then have a timer set to power the remote machine on at - say - 2:45am thus saving power.

Might be able to make my own using an arduino...

Hmm. Another way to accomplish this might be with a plain old power outlet timer.

1.) Set BIOS to power on when electricity is available
2.) End script with shutdown command
3.) Set AC outlet timer to briefly cut power at 2:30 and come back on at 2:45.
4.) Machine should see power and boot up.

I think if you software power down a system that is set to power on when it has electricity in BIOS, it will stay off until the power is cut and then powered on again. Could be wrong though.

an arduino will do it.

don't ask me how lol.

Yeah, you can do just about anything with an Arduino, but the simplest solution is usually the best, and the Arduino is not that :p

You can get digital timer relays that run off separate 12v supplies. A 1a supply powering the NO relay board, relay output shorting the power on pins. Maybe they make ones that have built in hysteretesis or use a delay timer circuit if you only have minute by minute control using a 555 timer.

Has anyone ever seen a device like this for sale?

Since ATX power buttons just short the two pins on the motherboard, the device would be a digital timer which you set to trigger the power button at different times.

Should be doable, but my googling is coming up short, unless this is called something else, and my search terms aren't working.

Usage scenario (for me)

I have a remote backup server which receives a backup snapshot of my storage every night starting at 3am, and running until it is done.

It would be cool if I could have my backup script end with a power down command, and then have a timer set to power the remote machine on at - say - 2:45am thus saving power.

Might be able to make my own using an arduino...

Windows has shutdown command with delay for as long as you want.

https://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-schedule-windows-automatically-power-on-and-power-off

It looks like there may be a auto-power on option buried in the BIOS, but is dependent on how high-end your motherboard is.

I'm not sure if this is going to save yi any serious amount of power, if you have the disks configured to spin down at idle. (or if it's an SSD, the idle power is minuscule)

Last edited:
Found a couple possibilities, both are somewhat generic I just picked examples

This kind looks kind of big and unwieldy but has a clock, will just toggle the relay at specified times like old fashioned "lamp timers"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-24V...e-Cycle-Clock-Timer-Relay-Switch/263162375583

This kind is more barebones but may be a better fit... the different modes are a bit confusing to me in my current tired state but it looks like it can be set up to momentarily bring the relay live every X number of hours which sounds like what you want. Since it's based on intervals not time-of-day you might have to do something silly like stay up till 2:45AM to trigger it the first time but then it should just go on its own indefinitely if I'm reading the description right
https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-12-5V-F...e-Automation-Delay-Multifunction/392276434359

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Windows has shutdown command with delay for as long as you want.

https://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-schedule-windows-automatically-power-on-and-power-off

It looks like there may be a auto-power on option buried in the BIOS, but is dependent on how high-end your motherboard is.

I'm not sure if this is going to save yi any serious amount of power, if you have the disks configured to spin down at idle. (or if it's an SSD, the idle power is minuscule)

Was wondering this. Run a scheduled task. Shutdown should be easy. Not sure about startup. I think a Mac can do a scheduled start/stop, but start requires BIOS level control.

Didn't some BIOS's have timers built in to power on and off the PC at certain times?

Know any bomb makers? this would be cake for them, lol

Back