"Potentially" bad new for people wanting to upgrade to the 2011 socket set...

Damn, I didnt realize folding added so much to a power bill. I need to read up on that stuff, I've thought about using my pc's as part time folding machines, not if I'll be going +$100 a month on electric!

i used to heat my basement with a 920 overclocked to 4.0 and a pair of gtx 285's folding, never seen 100$ increase but 20-40$ a month seems to be in the ballpark, have to figure if you are loading up say a 1000w psu for example thats a lot of 60w light bulbs bulbs on just all the time

the heat and noise of loaded gpus all the time made me stop, the electricity wasnt nice either, not alot but when i pay 60-70$ a month then my overall bill is close to 100 a month it adds up

anyone with a 1366 cpu over clocked at all probably wont bother this time around
you're probably very wrong.

Judging by what we saw with sandy bridge (4 cores that perform on par with six cores, while using 1/2 the power), Socket 2011 will be very compelling for anybody who likes high performance combined with low power usage.

Me and my 920 will be just fine until I can get LGA2011 /w a 22nm IB cpu, or if that doesn't work out, Haswell.

processors are fast enough imo. we are getting into a point when you to got to ask how fast is fast enough?

processors are fast enough imo. we are getting into a point when you to got to ask how fast is fast enough?
Lots of people need more CPU power than you do, apparently.
Posted via Mobile Device

Me and my 920 will be just fine until I can get LGA2011 /w a 22nm IB cpu, or if that doesn't work out, Haswell.

My thoughts as well. Sandy Bridge would be more enticing if I were on 1156 instead of 1366 at the moment.

For general computing that most people do, it's plenty. That's why MS is porting windows to arm because soon that will be all most people will need.

Now for people who game, use cpu intensive editing programs, or those doing scientific/mathematical calculations, they need all they can get.

I plan to mostly do gaming on mine. Some Photoshop and premiere but the main thing is that the effective lifespan of the system will be very long.

Intel greed, they want all Intel only. i7 proc eliminates mobo NB- great finally copied Amd with onproc memory controller but 1366 mobo X58 SB sucks, not enough pcie lanes. Intel is trying to scrap PCIE & is sued & lost case. Court ordered to continue pcie support for 6 more years. Intel sues Nvidia because they're making better SB chips with more features than Intel SB chips. 1156 mobo oops, ur screwed new 1155 mobo with P67 &H67 SB which only support 2 sata-3 ports & pcie1 due to SandyBridge with POS onboard graphics & support for only 16 pcie lanes, still no usb3 support due to LightBridge coming out soon. Intel wants it all & they'll give you what they want to give you & try to eliminate your options. No video, OC'ing, connectability etc. unless it's done with what Intel provides, the futures not looking bright. I hope BullDozer doesn't put me to sleep, cause I might finally go AMD to slow down the monopoly.

Intel greed, they want all Intel only. i7 proc eliminates mobo NB- great finally copied Amd with onproc memory controller but 1366 mobo X58 SB sucks, not enough pcie lanes. Intel is trying to scrap PCIE & is sued & lost case. Court ordered to continue pcie support for 6 more years. Intel sues Nvidia because they're making better SB chips with more features than Intel SB chips. 1156 mobo oops, ur screwed new 1155 mobo with P67 &H67 SB which only support 2 sata-3 ports & pcie1 due to SandyBridge with POS onboard graphics & support for only 16 pcie lanes, still no usb3 support due to LightBridge coming out soon. Intel wants it all & they'll give you what they want to give you & try to eliminate your options. No video, OC'ing, connectability etc. unless it's done with what Intel provides, the futures not looking bright. I hope BullDozer doesn't put me to sleep, cause I might finally go AMD to slow down the monopoly.

What are you rambling about?

Intel is trying to scrap PCIE & is sued & lost case. Court ordered to continue pcie support for 6 more years. Intel sues Nvidia because they're making better SB chips with more features than Intel SB chips.

This was the best part of all that.

Nv making better SB chips than intel o really???

um.. not even close good try though.

Intel didn't want to license the QPI bus or extend them the right to use DMI for the Core series with onboard memory controller and Nvidia didn't want Intel to use it's market position to obsolete the pci-e bus for add n gpus since intel new chips have graphics built in and the vast majority of computers sold use the onboard gpu intel provides.

The fact was that intel could have killed nvidia's ability to sell a gpu to oems by removing pci-e graphics support from it's chipsets so they could only use the onboard intel graphics and since nvidia didn't have a license to build chipsets any longer it couldn't have gotten any design wins, effectively killing their business.

That is why the suit made stipulations for intel to continue support of the pci-e interface for 6 more years.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4122/intel-settles-with-nvidia-more-money-fewer-problems-no-x86

And for the 2011 socket , IMO it is going to be more like the Xeon /skulltrail systems. it will really be a single socket Xeon platform but allow a sandybride core processor upgrade path for users that need more pci-e lanes and /or more memory bandwidth than the 1155 platforms will.

It will launch with a EE part to start but that will function as a halo product and as a answer to the parts AMD might launch.

the only thing I cannot figure is how the ivy bridge rollout will work in terms on chipsets and sockets required but I suppose native USB 3.0 and/or some form of lightpeak could push the need for a totally new round of chipsets but pci-e 3.0 and quad channel ram slots will push the need for a refreash too.

I guess I'll have to wait and see if I'm gonna be running windows 8 on a ARM or ivy bridge come 2012 and build a 1155 sandybridge on a z68 for this year :p

A socket won't be extreme edition exclusive, it would be too expensive to run for a single CPU while other sockets are readily available.

A socket won't be extreme edition exclusive, it would be too expensive to run for a single CPU while other sockets are readily available.

No one said it did. Should be common knowledge now that its launching with a 6 core and 8 core. The latter being EE.

No one said it did. Should be common knowledge now that its launching with a 6 core and 8 core. The latter being EE.
it should?

This is the first I've heard of a launch date 8 core. Unless you're referring to a Xeon variant.

Please post your source for this info.

Intel just think in money. Intel never put the users in first place.

First rule of any business isn't it?

They kind of did think of the average Joe user actually, they gave you plenty of opportunities to buy an i7 (you still can, 950's are now dirt cheap, from what they were), and personally I think it was a huge success for them, look at how many people in this thread own an i7 of some kind.

Maybe Intel were just testing the waters, seeing if there was a market for semi-mainstream platforms, for the enthusiast, or average gamer/consumer.

My i7 950 rig got written off by the gf, dropped it. *Cries*

Insurance came through and my new one is a SB being built on a cherry picked CPU to run at 4.7Ghz w/ 8 GB ram.

Bearing in mind I won't be using any SATA II ports, the number of forum posts i've seen regarding stability on P67 motherboards has me worried.

Over here, the cost of the SB build was about the same as another i7 950.

Think I have made the right choice in switching?

Wait, so...what is the upgrade path for 1366 then? If I'm looking to upgrade my 920 (it's one of the original revs that doesn't OC as well) what should I be looking at? A 950? SB 2600k? Waiting for LGA2011 to mature (another year+)?

Wait, so...what is the upgrade path for 1366 then? If I'm looking to upgrade my 920 (it's one of the original revs that doesn't OC as well) what should I be looking at? A 950? SB 2600k? Waiting for LGA2011 to mature (another year+)?

Personally, I would wait to see what the next wave of games demands.

Crysis 2, the new Shogun game etc

I don't think there will be too much more for the remainder of the year to push a CPU.

I'm still uncertain about my SB upgrade that i've already gone ahead with, but we'll see. My hand was forced pretty much.

You should wait. I7-950 is pointless too.

Think I have made the right choice in switching?

Sure, just make sure to RMA your motherboard when the new revision comes available.

I mean really, what did you have your 950 at... 4.0, 4.2ghz?

The upgrade path for 1366 is another 1366 cpu... think 950+. Intel is EOLing 1366 for 2011.

Just as Intel killed 1156 for 1155, so goes 1366 for 2011. You won't be seeing an i7-2***k for 1366.

Sockets die, it sucks, but then we buy new motherboards.

Sure, just make sure to RMA your motherboard when the new revision comes available.

I mean really, what did you have your 950 at... 4.0, 4.2ghz?

The upgrade path for 1366 is another 1366 cpu... think 950+. Intel is EOLing 1366 for 2011.

Just as Intel killed 1156 for 1155, so goes 1366 for 2011. You won't be seeing an i7-2***k for 1366.

Sockets die, it sucks, but then we buy new motherboards.

My 950 was running at 3.6Ghz for the most part.

I'm wondering if the new revision boards will improve in other areas than just fixing the SATA II ports, as I won't be using them.

I'd have to ship the entire machine back, not sure if I can be bothered with the downtime.

Stability is key for me. Just find the trends on some of these threads alarming with these P67 boards.

You should wait. I7-950 is pointless too.

Even if I'm on the old rev of the 920? I cannot remember if D0 is what I have...or what I want. I have whatever doesn't OC as well. I'll run CPUID again tonight to see.

I mean...if I dump the 920, someone will buy it off me...so the 950 might be worth it? Dunno?

never saw the quadfather platform and FX-72s and FX-74s, did you?

Intel is trying to scrap PCIE & is sued & lost case. Court ordered to continue pcie support for 6 more years. Intel sues Nvidia because they're making better SB chips with more features than Intel SB chips.

What is the source for this statement?

never saw the quadfather platform and FX-72s and FX-74s, did you?
WOW

now there's something I had forgotten about. I had to google it and take a trip down memory lane. It didn't hold a candle to the QX6800 though.

A lot of speculation nothing relevant in this thread. Will there be a 1356 or not?

I have never read anything concrete about a lga 1356 platform except in 1 PDF source that I can't quite remember where it came from. Everything else seems to be from speculation on various forums.

All the other more reliable sources, including from Intel themselves, have always only mentioned that lga 1155 and lga 2011 will be what Intel uses for Sandybridge and Ivybridge.

I have never read anything concrete about a lga 1356 platform except in 1 PDF source that I can't quite remember where it came from. Everything else seems to be from speculation on various forums.

All the other more reliable sources, including from Intel themselves, have always only mentioned that lga 1155 and lga 2011 will be what Intel uses for Sandybridge and Ivybridge.

hmm ok thanks.

There is a LGA 1356 (Socket B2), but it's only been confirmed for the entry-level Xeon E5-2400 processor.

There is a LGA 1356 (Socket B2), but it's only been confirmed for the entry-level Xeon E5-2400 processor.

There is (annoyingly) very little information on this socket indeed. I would like to think that it would be as simple as one of the two sockets (2011 or 1356) will be a server socket, the other a desktop enthusiast socket. But, i doubt that very much.

So many ideas/rumours/opinions on what's happening next but we need more info, there hasn't been anything new for a few months now.

Back