• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Potential loophole?

HOCP4ME

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 1, 2005
Messages
2,959
I just had a crazy idea and am hoping someone here can tell me exactly why it won't work.

Google's new Voice service (which ought to be available to the public anytime now, right Google? :rolleyes: ) gives you unlimited free calls within the US. You just call your Google number from any phone, then dial the number you really want, and Google will connect you for free. You only pay for the airtime cost of calling your Google number; Google does not charge you anything for the calls.

T-Mobile (ironically, the makers of the G1 Android phone) offer their "myFaves" service, which allows unlimited calling to five numbers that you select each month. Apparently these can be on any network - even a landline.

So, my plan (to be enacted as soon as Google Voice is released) is as follows:
1. Sign up for Google Voice and get a Google number.
2. Buy T-Mobile G1 with cheapest voice plan (300 min - $39.99 + data plan)
3. Add my Google number as a myFaves number.
4. Enjoy unlimited minutes for the price of 300. (i.e. save $60/month)

Now if only I could do something similar with text and data...

I can't figure out any problems with this idea, but it seems too good to be true. Anyone want to tell me what I'm missing?
 
read the fine print. I'm sure there something limiting how much you /really/ get to talk to your faves.
 
Never been in love? :rolleyes:

Interest idea though, I was surprised that there was no skype client for andriod in the market. Imo VoIP is ever due to really take off + the G1 is made for it!
 
Last edited:
Yeah, this is something people are taking advantage of already. I don't think anyone's had problems with it yet.

Something else people are trying out is getting a SIP service like Gizmo5 set up. It's basically a VoIP (VoIP is a subset of SIP) service and you get free calls between other SIP clients. When you get a call to a SIP number via Google Voice, it's a SIP call. So, all your incoming calls via Google Voice are free (provided you have a data plan, or are connected via wifi, of course). This should work on any phone and service provider on which you can set up SIP.

No need for T-Mobile My Faves for incoming calls with this method. Outgoing calls will still cost you, unless you're calling another SIP user via your SIP client. Even then, outgoing calls via SIP are far, far cheaper than cell minutes.
 
Yeah, this is something people are taking advantage of already. I don't think anyone's had problems with it yet.

Something else people are trying out is getting a SIP service like Gizmo5 set up. It's basically a VoIP (VoIP is a subset of SIP) service and you get free calls between other SIP clients. When you get a call to a SIP number via Google Voice, it's a SIP call. So, all your incoming calls via Google Voice are free (provided you have a data plan, or are connected via wifi, of course). This should work on any phone and service provider on which you can set up SIP.

No need for T-Mobile My Faves for incoming calls with this method. Outgoing calls will still cost you, unless you're calling another SIP user via your SIP client. Even then, outgoing calls via SIP are far, far cheaper than cell minutes.

What if you go to the Google Voice website and type in the number you want to call? Then, Google calls you and connect you to the number. Would that count as a SIP call?

We've now got these "calls" traversing five different networks and probably jumping across the country multiple times now; I wonder if lag will be a problem?
 
I'm not sure as I don't have GV. If you're really interested, you should check out the Google Voice forum on google's site. Fourm here. That's where I stumbled upon the info about SIP. It wasn't what I was searching for at the time, but I found it interesting enough to read through the thread.
 
i dont use any of my fav 5's as i already have unlimited everything from tmobile.. want me to try it out?!
 
i have the myFaves 300 and i have never gone over my minutes, because that includes free nights and weekends. And i have the G1....


plus i have free tmob2tmob...
 
I just had a crazy idea and am hoping someone here can tell me exactly why it won't work.

T-Mobile (ironically, the makers of the G1 Android phone) offer their "myFaves" service, which allows unlimited calling to five numbers that you select each month. Apparently these can be on any network - even a landline.
Technically, t-mobile is the Seller of the G1 android.. I believe the phone is actually made by HTC?

So, my plan (to be enacted as soon as Google Voice is released) is as follows:
1. Sign up for Google Voice and get a Google number.
2. Buy T-Mobile G1 with cheapest voice plan (300 min - $39.99 + data plan)
3. Add my Google number as a myFaves number.
4. Enjoy unlimited minutes for the price of 300. (i.e. save $60/month)
This could work, if you don't mind the hassle of having to double dial.

Here's my question. How many minutes do you actually use now? With my AT&T HTC Tilt, I'm on the 450 minute plan with rollover, and I have, I kid you not, over 5,000 minutes banked.



Now if only I could do something similar with text and data...

I can't figure out any problems with this idea, but it seems too good to be true. Anyone want to tell me what I'm missing?
Well, if you had unlimited data, you could use skype for voip, and any one of the 100s of web based text messaging tools out there for that.
 
I am doing something similar. I use Skype to place my daytime calls at home & work. I'm with AT&T on the iPhone and just rack up the roll-over minutes. I only have calls that eat up minutes if I receive them. This is handy for me since 90% of my friends and family are on Verizon, I just can't stand any of their handsets.
 
Back
Top