Posting for a neighbor - kids wants a VR system for xmas..?

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
I know nothing about VR builds these days as I have followed it at all. A neighbor has posted in a group noting that "It’s what our oldest son wants for Christmas (a computer). Our youngest son wants a high quality VR"

Where might one really start with this? What is out there and would be consider say high end, vs mid range, i can build a system for anyone for anything...except VR.

We talking like an 8th gen i5 and a mid to high range vid card pending on what VR head set they want to use?

sirmonkey1985

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010
it's really going to depend on the VR headset.. if it's an odyssey+(which is on sale right now) or a vive pro the requirement difference is quite big.. currently i'm in the process of building a VR system for my father for a flight sim.. my plan is to go with a ryzen 2600x, GTX 1070 and odyssey+ VR headset total cost should be around 700-800 dollars if i can ever decide on what motherboard i want.. not super high end but also not a bank buster as well while leaving the option to upgrade later on if current gen gpu prices get back down to a reasonable price range. that being said i don't think you need to go super crazy with 8th/9th gen parts, i think 6 and 7th gen intel and/or first and second gen ryzen 5 4c/6c processors should be perfectly fine, hell even a 2600k would probably be fine. it's mostly going to be the gpu that will make it average or high quality.

rhansen5_99

2[H]4U
For my 2c the videocard is the most important aspect, really even with the Windows Mix Reality headsets (HP / Lenovo/ ) are 1440p you are really needing a GTX 980ti / 1070gtx or better to maintain 90fps. For the better headsets like the oculus and Vive the requirement goes up. Not sure how you would get to $800 though even if you are near a Microcenter: 1700x $130, 60-80$ for a moderate motherboard with 30$ discount, 16gb ram $120, 1080gtx fe $379, you still need a powersupply, case, and drives (ssd boot, mechanical for game storage), win10 os $15, then there is the $300 - $400 for a higher end headset or vive for more.

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
The person had sent me pics of the Oculus so presume they are heading down that route...