Posting for a neighbor - kids wants a VR system for xmas..?

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
I know nothing about VR builds these days as I have followed it at all. A neighbor has posted in a group noting that "It’s what our oldest son wants for Christmas (a computer). Our youngest son wants a high quality VR"

Where might one really start with this? What is out there and would be consider say high end, vs mid range, i can build a system for anyone for anything...except VR.

We talking like an 8th gen i5 and a mid to high range vid card pending on what VR head set they want to use?

it's really going to depend on the VR headset.. if it's an odyssey+(which is on sale right now) or a vive pro the requirement difference is quite big.. currently i'm in the process of building a VR system for my father for a flight sim.. my plan is to go with a ryzen 2600x, GTX 1070 and odyssey+ VR headset total cost should be around 700-800 dollars if i can ever decide on what motherboard i want.. not super high end but also not a bank buster as well while leaving the option to upgrade later on if current gen gpu prices get back down to a reasonable price range. that being said i don't think you need to go super crazy with 8th/9th gen parts, i think 6 and 7th gen intel and/or first and second gen ryzen 5 4c/6c processors should be perfectly fine, hell even a 2600k would probably be fine. it's mostly going to be the gpu that will make it average or high quality.

For my 2c the videocard is the most important aspect, really even with the Windows Mix Reality headsets (HP / Lenovo/ ) are 1440p you are really needing a GTX 980ti / 1070gtx or better to maintain 90fps. For the better headsets like the oculus and Vive the requirement goes up. Not sure how you would get to $800 though even if you are near a Microcenter: 1700x $130, 60-80$ for a moderate motherboard with 30$ discount, 16gb ram $120, 1080gtx fe $379, you still need a powersupply, case, and drives (ssd boot, mechanical for game storage), win10 os $15, then there is the $300 - $400 for a higher end headset or vive for more.

The person had sent me pics of the Oculus so presume they are heading down that route...

Back