Left Setup:
Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24 inch
HP 2210m 21.5 inch
HP Pavilion P7-1030 (Modified)
-Intel Core i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
-8 Gigs of RAM
-NVidia GeForce GTS 450
-Crucial M4 256GB SSD
-No Name 500 Watt PSU (Because that's all the computer shop had to power my video card)
-Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit (Yuck!)

Right Setup:
Apple 21.5 inch display
Samsung SyncMaster P2450 21.5 inch
Apple iMac
-Intel Core i3 CPU @ 3.06GHz
-12 Gigs of RAM
-ATI Radeon HD 4670
-1TB HDD
-Mac OS X

Far Right Laptop:
-HP Pavilion dv7
-Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @ 2.40GHz
-4 Gigs of RAM
-NVidia GeForce 9600M GT
-320GB HDD
-Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit (Yuck!)

Last edited:
I need a new desk in a month or so, should I go for one with a larger keyboard tray? or should I just go for a corner desk with a leatherette top?

I need to find a good chair with armrests to use the top of the desk without problems, the problem is I haven't found a chair like that in a longgg time.

Traitor...
*laughs*

I'm a UNIX SysAdmin by trade, and I love the terminal on OS X. I DO still have a Xeon workstation under the desk running Win2K8 and 2K8R2 VMs under ESXi. I'll probably be running a few copies of Server 2012 if it's released soon, as well. Fear not, I've not fully joined the dark side. I've simply tasted their cookies and sipped of their Kool-Aid.

It's amazing how small the 27" monitor looks when it's the only thing on the desk!

i feel like the best IT people recognize the strengths of different technologies and utilize them rather than picking a side.

i am a die hard windows guy, and can ultimately do my job faster in windows but i appreciate my macbook pro for other work related things (terminal like TeeJayHoward said and other development/design things). i go back and forth constantly and probably use Windows 40%, Mac 40%, and Unix distro 20%.

*laughs*

I'm a UNIX SysAdmin by trade, and I love the terminal on OS X. I DO still have a Xeon workstation under the desk running Win2K8 and 2K8R2 VMs under ESXi. I'll probably be running a few copies of Server 2012 if it's released soon, as well. Fear not, I've not fully joined the dark side. I've simply tasted their cookies and sipped of their Kool-Aid.

It's amazing how small the 27" monitor looks when it's the only thing on the desk!

have you tried the RC yet for 2012? I havent loaded it yet but did play with server 8 beta

and yeah, the LCD looks gigantic next to the mini(the only mac I have ever wanted)

QFT however I would probably end up running windows 7 on a MBP more than apple, and would rather virtualize the apple os more than the windows os

i feel like the best IT people recognize the strengths of different technologies and utilize them rather than picking a side.

i am a die hard windows guy, and can ultimately do my job faster in windows but i appreciate my macbook pro for other work related things (terminal like TeeJayHoward said and other development/design things). i go back and forth constantly and probably use Windows 40%, Mac 40%, and Unix distro 20%.

yea the mini is the only mac i have ever really considered either, would use it for an htpc and thats about it

have you tried the RC yet for 2012? I havent loaded it yet but did play with server 8 beta

and yeah, the LCD looks gigantic next to the mini(the only mac I have ever wanted)

This is what I tell everyone. We're an entirely Microsoft shop (all W7, Office 2010, Server 2008 R2 on Hyper-V, Exchange 2010, Lync 2010, Sharepoint 2010) and I think Microsoft makes an EXTREMELY good product with incredibly intuitive integration if you stay within their ecosystem. For home use, though, my 13" Macbook Air is almost always my go-to machine.

Setup for the past 1+ year. I have various powermac cases containing a real apple and the other 2 have pc's in them. This shot happened to show the real apple
974e1dc6.jpg

Bought 2 24" monitors and waiting for new machine.
dcb1d440.jpg

Current setup I'm using to post this
d0bd8d26.jpg

Works surpisingly well!

B239 we have the same chair polished HM aeron. I'll update this once I set everything backup

Current setup I'm using to post this
d0bd8d26.jpg

Works surpisingly well!

B239 we have the same chair polished HM aeron. I'll update this once I set everything backup

Had a similar set up for about a month. It does work surprisingly well, but not quite well enough. It is good to know that if for some freak reason my two computers poop out at the same time, ipad /android tablets make a comparable solution (temporary of course).

pretty much. I have worked in a 90% UNIX environment(mostly solaris, some HP UX) and a 100% windows shop, and I really enjoy the windows side for ease of use for users and admins.

and I am 100% in love with how well MS has integrated some of its tech from user to the core. AD/Exchange is a great system to work with

people always ask me which do i prefer and i just respond that i appreciate it all and use whatever is best to get work done.
(which i think irritates people sometimes)

What do you do when you get tired of going through cheap consumer desktop mics faster than you go through water?

You upgrade :p

I dig the setup!

What keyboard is that though? looks like a model M with a integrated mouse?

*ding* *ding* *ding*.

That's exactly what it is. :)

A Model M13 Trackpoint II.

I love this thing, but I recently bought the last set of black keycaps that Unicomp had, (and these are notorious for wearing quickly, as they are pad printed). I'm probably going to swap this out for a cherry based product soon, as it's in museum like quality and pretty rare, and I don't want to wear it out.

I'm thinking maybe a Ducky Shine with Cherry MX blue switches will be my next one.

And thanks for the compliment on the setup. I like it (though lately I seem to spend way too much time at work, and am not able to enjoy it as much as I want)

I have an original Model M and to me, the spring action is so much better to type with vs. cherry blue or anything. :)

Zarathustra[H];1038833075 said:
*ding* *ding* *ding*.

I love this thing, but I recently bought the last set of black keycaps that Unicomp had, (and these are notorious for wearing quickly, as they are pad printed). I'm probably going to swap this out for a cherry based product soon, as it's in museum like quality and pretty rare, and I don't want to wear it out.

I'm thinking maybe a Ducky Shine with Cherry MX blue switches will be my next one.

And thanks for the compliment on the setup. I like it (though lately I seem to spend way too much time at work, and am not able to enjoy it as much as I want)

Zarathustra[H];1038833075 said:
*ding* *ding* *ding*.

Man, that is one of the rarest Model Ms ever. People pay through the nose for those in good shape. If its in as good of condition as you say, I'd box that sucker up and sell it.

Zarathustra[H];1038835007 said:
This one. Not a high end cardoid studio mic by any means, but a lot of mic for the $60 range.

Hopefully it will last longer than my last few consumer desktop mics. :)

is that better than the audiotechnica 2020 usb mic?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Man, that is one of the rarest Model Ms ever. People pay through the nose for those in good shape. If its in as good of condition as you say, I'd box that sucker up and sell it.

It is in great shape. That is my keyboard in my whitebox in the pic above.

Clickykeyboards.com seems to have one right now in similar condition to mine selling for $275, but I have seen them go higher on eBay.

I won mine on eBay For ~$100 in 2006. I proceeded to use it for 5 years, and then the keycaps started wearing off, so I bought a replacement set from Unicomp. The only problem is that I got the last set of white on black keycaps, and they have said they won't be making anymore of them.

The pic above was taken right after I wiped it down with alcohol and put the new keycaps on. It looks the same now, just a little dusty.

I've done some shopping around for custom double shot keycap molds, without much luck, at least not in the affordable price range.

I love this thing to death. If I could continue to get replacement keycaps, I'd continue to use it forever (cause I know the mechanicals would last)

My "main gaming rig" that pretty much never gets used...built her for D3 but the game sucks so now dust collects until a game worth my time is released...most of my computing is spent on my double rig in my gaming room

G1. Assassin 2
SLI GTX 670
Dominator ram
240 Vertex 3 SSD
Level 10 GT case
Naga molten mouse
mechanical razor keyboard (blackwidow i think)

90526276.jpg

Last edited:
I have an original Model M and to me, the spring action is so much better to type with vs. cherry blue or anything. :)

I have not yet had the opportunity to try a cherry Keyboard.

I have a feeling it's going to be a step down from a Model M, as you say.

If I had a steady supply of black keycaps I'd keep using it, but I don't want to wear out the last ones I can get.

The black keycaps were pad printed instead of the dye sublimation process used on the lighter colored ones and they wear fast :(

I could get some of the grey keycaps from Unicomp, but I just don't feel that would look right :(

I understand everyone has their passion and "nice things" but I'm SO glad I don't have to worry about wearing out my keys on my $25 Woot-Off Razer keyboard. To each their own though.

I understand everyone has their passion and "nice things" but I'm SO glad I don't have to worry about wearing out my keys on my $25 Woot-Off Razer keyboard. To each their own though.

It's a pretty common issue across keyboards actually.

Back in the day when all things computing were light grey, they used dye sublimination to mark the keys. Because of this, the dye is actually soaked into the key, so no matter how much you wear, the lettering doesn't wear off.

Problem is you can't use dye sublimination to dye a darker color lighter, so this process doesn't work on black keys.

The highest quality ones these days use double shot keys in which the lettering is molded with a white plastic and the black is molder around it. These never have wear issues.

Others use pad printing processes like my model M, and many suffer the same problems as my model M. Over time, combined with finger greases the pad printed numbers simply wear off. Not as much of a problem in a low end dome keyboard which is likely tossed before 5 years are up anyway, but in a Model M that will last you 30 years or more, it can become an issue.

Some pad printed keyboards are better than others too, as over time, development work has gone into coating the pad printed keys with clear coats of ever increasing durability.

In a way, part of my problem stems from typing on what essentially is a 20 year old collectors item. :(

Interestingly enough, some backlit keyboards suffer a similar issue. These use clear molded keys, and the black paint that coats them leaves only the lettering open so that light shines through. On many of these users have reported that the black coating can wear off resulting in a bad looking mess where its black, flakey and light shines through all over the place.

If all you do on your computer is gaming and occasional facebook status updates, something like a Razer Blackwidow will do just fine, but typing on those things is a horrible experience, and once you get used to a Model M it's tough to go back to anything else, even the newer mechanical boards. (or so I hear)

Yes, they are that good.

If you are happy with what you have, my advice to you would be to never type on a Model M, as once you experience it, and get used to it, there's no going back :p

I too have a MINT Model M. Infact they have boxes of new or in new condition Model M keyboards at my work (where I got mine), The only thing I miss with the model M is the windows key and the key between windows and control on the right side of the keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back