Post your Workstation 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my setup from a couple months ago. It's a bit different today. Replaced the $40 dollar speakers with the Audioengine A2's. Fixed up the right side of the table (sanded). I haven't taken any steps to stain/coat the butcher block 'countertop' but I'm open to ideas.

LXYEMh.jpg

hqrPeh.jpg

fhBNGh.jpg

yZ9tIh.jpg

Hey guys,

here is my rig.
i7 920 @ 4.3 GHZ + HT
12 GB GSKILL @ 1640 MHZ
GTX 590 QUAD SLI
128 GB SSD + 1.5 TB HD
PSU: Corsair AX1200

Cooled by a XSPC raza cpu block and two XSPC 590 razor blocks.
Im running two radiators: XSPC EX360 and a EK420 (both with push pull fans) with two Laing D5s in series.
All of this in a xigmatek elysium with the EX360 taking up some of the 5.25 inch bays, and the EK420 up top.

27 inch monitors are: center Acer HN274H (3d monitor) and the side ones are acer H274HL, so I do surround @ 60 hz and when I feel like playing 3D I use only the center monitor.

@ akifbayram

I love the desk. What kind of wood is that? I got a butcher block top for our kitchen island from IKEA, and it is made of beech wood, not maple. With maple, you're probably fine, but if it's beach wood, seal it up quick with your stain, or even just a clear coat, or it will crack at the joints with any kind of change in humidity. Mine did, even after soaked in oil.

Ninja edit: I have two layers - one sealed with a clear coat and the other just with oil. The sealed one is fine, but the other split.

@ akifbayram

I love the desk. What kind of wood is that? I got a butcher block top for our kitchen island from IKEA, and it is made of beech wood, not maple. With maple, you're probably fine, but if it's beach wood, seal it up quick with your stain, or even just a clear coat, or it will crack at the joints with any kind of change in humidity. Mine did, even after soaked in oil.

Ninja edit: I have two layers - one sealed with a clear coat and the other just with oil. The sealed one is fine, but the other split.

yeah if you dont want to stain it......get some poly on it asap. a light sand with 220 or 120 first is a good idea, and if you need to sand between poly coats(do 2-4) use 320 grit
(spent last summer finishing OAK cabinets)

@ akifbayram

Here's the exact item I purchased.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70086415/#/70086415

I appreciate the advice. I haven't noticed any cracking yet, thankfully.

yeah if you dont want to stain it......get some poly on it asap. a light sand with 220 or 120 first is a good idea, and if you need to sand between poly coats(do 2-4) use 320 grit
(spent last summer finishing OAK cabinets)

Thanks, I'm looking at some oil based polyurethane.

It's minwax polycrylic clear satin. I wanted a strong finish that would look somewhat similar to the naked wood.

I tested that exact coating (on a spare piece of butcher block and a small bench) but I didn't have great results. I applied it with a foam brush with 3-4 coats. After a week or two, it would get scratched easily with just a rub of my nails over the bench and the brush marks were visible. Also, since the water based polycrylic raised the fibers of the wood, I sanded with a 220 (possibly too rough). I'll be trying this out with a oil based polyurethane soon since it's somewhat tougher than the water based polycrylic and it drys slower which is great for the brush mark issue. I might like the warmer color that it comes with :cool:

nice setup akif

Thanks!

I've recently gotten into using Google SketchUp. I started modeling small buildings and travel trailers, but I was bored today... so I created a 3d model of my workstation. I thought I would share it with all the SketchUp users of the forum.

3D WORKSTATION

kC1Zdl.jpg

There's information on the desk build in the link.

3D WORKSTATION

Here's my setup from a couple months ago. It's a bit different today. Replaced the $40 dollar speakers with the Audioengine A2's. Fixed up the right side of the table (sanded). I haven't taken any steps to stain/coat the butcher block 'countertop' but I'm open to ideas.

snip
snip
snip
snip

Hey man, please share that stand model with us! Thanks

Added a few items to the workstation. After following the various Korea monitor threads, I just couldn't help but pick up one for myself. Very pleased with the purchase :)

New items:
Belkin pf60
Achieva Shimian QH270-lite
Tyke dual LCD monitor mount

IMG_2583.jpg

IMG_2586.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2608.jpg

clean yet industrial esk

I like it

nice gunnars btw, think I have the exact same pair

gunnars, do they really help?

i feel like its something i would purchase and never really use

gunnars, do they really help?

i feel like its something i would purchase and never really use

I love mine.

I was having eyestrain issues after being at work on teh computer 9+ hours a day then coming home and playing 3-4 hours on tuesdays, wednesday my eyes just hurt.

now I'm fine when I can do it

Upgraded my rig from a C2Q Q8300 on an Asus P5Q Pro with 4x2GB DDR2-800 to an i7 3820 on an Asus P9X79 Pro with 4x4GB DDR3-2133

2012-06-02_11-45-10_92.jpg

x/posted from my post the ikea desk gallery thread (more pics there if interested):

Here's my new setup (specs in sig)! Galant desk with A-Legs plus Galant Half-Round w/Capita legs for eye level Monitor stand. And today I just redid my cable management with one Signum "basket" underneath! Pics below: :D

desk1.JPG

desk2.JPG

Nearly finished with this :D
Just waiting on..
6pin red bitfenix cable.
two 120mm Corsair AF120 for the push pull
And finally treated myself to come Corsair Dominator GT ram 8GB

7157698795_432720d501_c.jpg

7157700575_c48bfac532_c.jpg

Fully lights up red inside now too thanks to two pairs of bitfenix LED strips but i'll get better pictures and show you when its all together :D

Nearly finished with this :D
Just waiting on..
6pin red bitfenix cable.
two 120mm Corsair AF120 for the push pull
And finally treated myself to come Corsair Dominator GT ram 8GB

Fully lights up red inside now too thanks to two pairs of bitfenix LED strips but i'll get better pictures and show you when its all together :D

That thur is purdy! :D

So heres the new desk and keyboard, oh and the laptop... My friend gave my that laptop, gunna use it for learning Server 2003 and just a general test box.

I'm still trying to get used to having the monitors so close to me! It feels MUCH better on my back, not having to hunch over my desk to see the text though...

1148100v2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back