Post your workstation 2010!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're kidding, right? It's brushed aluminum . . . no spray paint is going to make it match better. The only thing it would accomplish is greatly ghetto-fying the whole setup. The difference in bezel isn't as pronounced as the photos make them out to be and it doesn't even bother me anyways.

Pretty sure he was joking. Unwad your panties and move along

You're kidding, right? It's brushed aluminum . . . no spray paint is going to make it match better. The only thing it would accomplish is greatly ghetto-fying the whole setup. The difference in bezel isn't as pronounced as the photos make them out to be and it doesn't even bother me anyways.

If you really wanted it to be the same shade you can remove the bezel and send it to an anodizing shop to get stripped back to raw aluminum and anodized. they'd then be the same color for sure (or at least much closer shades) ;)

Pretty sure he was joking. Unwad your panties and move along
Um, yeah . . . thanks. My panties were never in a bunch so maybe you can "move along"???

Not to be doing the mods' jobs for them, but can we act a bit mature and move along with the discussion? There's no need to start a flame war over something as silly as whether someone didn't realize that a monitor bezel was anodized...

@strend - really nice setup! I think it's the combination of the black walls, abstract art, and industrial desks and whatnot, but it looks very inviting - quite "cave-ish", which I very much like.

Might have to consider painting my walls a darker color...

Got new speakers (which are awesome) and a new keyboard since 09:
gs3.JPG

Grad student offices are like the anti-Googleplex. It's kind of depressing compared to officesnapshots.com
gs4.JPG

Its been a year or two since I last posted - been pretty busy, but finally did my upgrade.............

What a build this was - filled with a threat of divorce because of a massively destroyed budget (and I brought all the GPU / HDD’s/& Misc items from my last build), more returns and purchases than I have ever done on a build while impatiently for items to be delivered. Then to top it off I bled more than ever as the case gods required constant sacrifices which my hands and knuckles now show the battle scars of the many “Oh ^%$@^%$# that hurt” moments putting in and taking out tubing (taking out was when most of those “ouchies” occurred).

I can say that this was my first water cool build – what an experience it was!

In the end "Frank" was born!

CURRENT VANTAGE SCORE: 33022
Asus VE25 24" Monitor
Saitek Eclipse II Keyboard
Razer Lachesis 4000dpi Laser Mouse
Razer eXactMat w/wrist rest
Logitech z-5300 THX 5.1 Speaker System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS
Corsair Obsidian 800D Full Tower Case
Silverstone ST1500 1500W PSU
Intel Core i7 975 Extreme @3.33Ghz (just got him running - will OC much further later)
......Swiftech Apogee XT CPU Water Block
......MCP355 Pump w/XSPC 10ml Reservoir Top
......Double 240 Rad w/2 Push 120mm & 2 Pull 120mm 90CFM 19db fans
EVGA Classified X58 3-Way SLI + PhysX motherboard
Mushkin 3x4GB Blackline 1600 DDR3 12GB RAM
PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
XFX GTX285 648M 1G DDR3 x3 in 3-Way SLI
XFX GTX285 648M 1G DDR3 x1 Dedicated PhysX
......HeatKiller GPU X2 Water Blocks x3
......MCP655 Pump with Bitspower mini Reservoir
......Stealth 360 Radiator with 3/120mm Push & 3/120mm 90CFM 19db Pull fans
300GB WD VelociRaptors in RAID 0 (OS)
1TB WD Caviar Black (Storage)
1TB Hitachi 7,200 RPM (Storage)
640 WD Caviar Green (Storage)
74GB WD VelociRaptor
Pioneer BD + R/W DVD/CD-ROM
Asus R/W + Lightscribe DVD/CD-ROM
Scythe Kaze MasterFan controller x 2
7n1 Card Reader w/3.25 Floppy

"FRANKS" PHOTO SHOOT:
http://img441.imageshack.us/g/frank3222010069t.jpg/

SOME IMAGES HERE:
frank3222010001.jpg

frank3222010047.jpg

frank008.jpg

frank061.jpg

frank049.jpg

frank043.jpg

frank027.jpg

frank014.jpg

frank3222010063.jpg

Last edited:
It was a hard fought build but in the end, I am pretty darn proud of it.

Forgot to add the VANTAGE image and the temps after running it:
33k.png

I think images like this is art. I could blow something like this up as a framed pic and call it Art - I see a beauty in similar pics- some people here have done some amazing systems and taken some amazing shots of those systems.........

frank3222010035.jpg

Last edited:
Its been a year or two since I last posted - been pretty busy, but finally did my upgrade.............

I'm................ fighting............. my.............. envy............... gene.
Holy cow! Now that's a monster rig! You win! That's it, there is nothing else to do but to concede defeat. (walking away with head down)

Looks great.
If I put that much time and money into a build Id go the extra mile and sleeve the psu. Just sayin.

@ The1stCAV
Damn you and your skills
nice work though and your address was what again;) (might need to borrow it)

Looks great.
If I put that much time and money into a build Id go the extra mile and sleeve the psu. Just sayin.

Maybe lacks the time like me, if I were to sleeve my pc properly, I'd have to take everything to work which I have considered lol.

Very nice rig Cav, but no EK mobo block wtf!

Thanks all - I am very very very proud of this build as you may as well imagine. It has been dubbed "Frank" and he kicks some serious tail as well as looks great. If you all are familiar with Crysis Benchmarks - check this out:

Beginning Run #1 on Map-island, Demo-benchmark_gpu
DX10 1280x1024, AA=16xQ, Vsync=Disabled, 64 bit test, FullScreen
Demo Loops=3, Time Of Day= 9
Global Game Quality: Custom
Custom Quality Values:
VolumetricEffects=VeryHigh
Texture=VeryHigh
ObjectDetail=VeryHigh
Sound=VeryHigh
Shadows=VeryHigh
Water=VeryHigh
Physics=VeryHigh
Particles=VeryHigh
Shading=VeryHigh
PostProcessing=VeryHigh
GameEffects=VeryHigh

Run #1- DX10 1280x1024 AA=16xQ, 64 bit test, Quality: Custom ~~ Overall Average FPS: 57.395
Run #2- DX10 1920x1080 AA=16xQ, 64 bit test, Quality: Custom ~~ Overall Average FPS: 41.79

The fact that he did this on 16xQ AA (with everything else on Very High) still amazes me - playing the game is like a new game again and it is 2 years old almost.

So Frank is pretty to look at and also has the muscle to back it up :D

Maybe lacks the time like me, if I were to sleeve my pc properly, I'd have to take everything to work which I have considered lol.

Very nice rig Cav, but no EK mobo block wtf!

Considering this is my work PC I need for my business (Work PC by day/Ass Kicking OC'ing Gaming PC by night) - Yes I ran out of time and had to get this baby online ASAP, though weekends may still lead to tweaks here and there. The problem from working from home is you never leave work.

EK Mobo block? Do tell...........I may need to add it when I add the 4th GPU water block. I have one already water blocked in the closet waiting for the SLI jumpers to use with the rest of my GPU blocks. So tell me more about this EK Mobo block :eek: I may have to add that then as well............

Damn that's some good power, hopefully add another 5870 to mine shortly, then replay Crysis :).

Here is how mine stands currently, waiting on another XSPC top for my pump cause one was bad, and I have a mixture of BP silver and black compression fittings to go on everything when I get the time.

That's the EK Classified mobo block on mine, have two loops, each with a 3x120 rad. One for cpu/mobo, other for gfx cards.

img0641zk.jpg

Sweet - and good choice in case huh - I have always loved my Antec P180B and P190 cases, but this Corsair is a beast with plenty of room. Nice set up you have there and yes I checked the XK block you mentioned - will be considerin that once the cost of this build becomes a thing of the past with my better half - she isn't please dwith this ones cost as is. I do agree though - your sheathed cables look much nicer, I may have to do that to mine. Man you got a nice clean looking install - I almost think I have too much going on, then I think - NOT :D

Thx. Yea the Corsair case is excellent. I just bought nzxt sleeved extensions for all my stuff, pretty cheap and look way better than stock wires. Plus they are reusable and took maybe 20 minutes to hook up. Would like to do red/black mdpc-x sleeving on everything but free time can be hard to come by.

It was a hard fought build but in the end, I am pretty darn proud of it.

Forgot to add the VANTAGE image and the temps after running it:
33k.png

I think images like this is art. I could blow something like this up as a framed pic and call it Art - I see a beauty in similar pics- some people here have done some amazing systems and taken some amazing shots of those systems.........

frank3222010035.jpg

Thanks for photographic advice mate. Your pictures are definitely art and so is your PC.
I love the way you refer to it as a him and call him Frank :D

Thanks man, actually I plan on one more "U" being placed on the video cards once I get the correct end cap for the GPU water blocks. I have one already water blocked and waiting for me to change that end cap out so I can come out the bottom as opposed to the top like the other 3 are. This design did not allow me to water block the 4th GPU because there is no room between the 3rd and 4th, however if I get a 4-Way head for the block, it will allow me to insert connectors underneath then do the loops as I have. In the mean time I had an extra GTX 285 with the fan shroud still on it, so I am using this until I can get teh correct cap for the other that has the w/b on it. I already have another of the "U" connector sets made waiting for the part to arrive. Then "Frank" will be about 90% complete. I will be putting a W/B on the NB/SB of the mobo as well (as discussed above), otherwise he is good to go for a bit until the cost fo this build subsides.

"Frank" was a name that happened to grow on the build. A guy I know called it Frankenstien, and then we began talking about "Frank" and how the build was going, the name just stuck after that, so now it has been named.

I always wondered how people got such great clear and dark pictures, so I startedc playing with my camera to figure it out then noticed that if I used no flash, set ISO as low as possible, put it on a tri-pod with a timer, things started coming out clear and sharp (with other tweaks, but those are the basics). Now I have fun taking pics as you can tell from the ImageShack images I have linked.

Here is an "Artsy one" I really like:
frank3222010026.jpg

Thanks man, actually I plan on one more "U" being placed on the video cards once I get the correct end cap for the GPU water blocks. I have one already water blocked and waiting for me to change that end cap out so I can come out the bottom as opposed to the top like the other 3 are. This design did not allow me to water block the 4th GPU because there is no room between the 3rd and 4th, however if I get a 4-Way head for the block, it will allow me to insert connectors underneath then do the loops as I have. In the mean time I had an extra GTX 285 with the fan shroud still on it, so I am using this until I can get teh correct cap for the other that has the w/b on it. I already have another of the "U" connector sets made waiting for the part to arrive. Then "Frank" will be about 90% complete. I will be putting a W/B on the NB/SB of the mobo as well (as discussed above), otherwise he is good to go for a bit until the cost fo this build subsides.

"Frank" was a name that happened to grow on the build. A guy I know called it Frankenstien, and then we began talking about "Frank" and how the build was going, the name just stuck after that, so now it has been named.

I always wondered how people got such great clear and dark pictures, so I startedc playing with my camera to figure it out then noticed that if I used no flash, set ISO as low as possible, put it on a tri-pod with a timer, things started coming out clear and sharp (with other tweaks, but those are the basics). Now I have fun taking pics as you can tell from the ImageShack images I have linked.

Here is an "Artsy one" I really like:
frank3222010026.jpg

Thanks for the photography tips. My camera does not have as many manual settings as yours as it is only a compact digital camera but I will have a play around with the settings at the weekend and see what kind of images I can produce with it.
BTW - I did realised you have FOUR GF285s in your beast. No wonder you named him after Frankenstein :D You should have called it " The Monster" and you are Dr Frankenstein.
You definitely need two or three monitors to go with the Frank. Frank is not being pushed with just one monitor.
As much as I love the look of a good watercooled machine, I don't have the time or patience to build one myself. But I will serious think about watercooling my next machine which won't be for a couple of years yet.
But I am very happy with my build, it certain cost me enough (don't tell the wife), though I might swap out of the standard corsair fans for a nice red led enermax fan. I think the red led will work with with the 3 light led fans I have at the top of the case.
With this case, sky is the limit :D

Please tell me you know that those speakers are not meant to be placed next to each other..

We're not gonna go through this again, are we? Some people don't have the room to set up 5.1 speakers "correctly". And if they do, you have to think about where ones desk is located relative to the room. In the corner? Center? Then you might ask, "Ok, fine...why did they buy a 5.1 setup then if they can't utilize it properly?". The answer is simple...5.1 setups can be had for cheap. Why settle for a 2.1 system at the same price? You can always utilize its full potential once you get the space requirements down and all that good stuff. ;)

Please tell me you know that those speakers are not meant to be placed next to each other..

I just moved back here about a month ago. I have to get longer speaker wires so I can mount them on the wall behind me. So for the time being (while I save up for a few things) I going to live with my rear and front speakers next to each other

Thought I'd post mine. You guys have some amazing setups. I really want a bigger desk, BUT..... that would lead to bigger displays... and speakers... the list goes on.

img2693uj.jpg

img2695k.jpg

img2638h.jpg

img2673jpg2.jpg

img2660m.jpg

img2644jpg2.jpg

img2687z.jpg

img2635k.jpg

@ Greeink
Nice speakers, what are they? Is that an iPhone/pod stand in the corner? Great job B&W pics look great! Don't give much thought to MavisX's suggestion - he is just a product of advertising. I personally like a case of Negra Modello during my build times :D
negrau.jpg

@ Morpheus9394

4gtx2852.jpg

Last edited:
hard lemonade? really? thats a girls drink man, go out and buy yourself some Budweiser and then re post this pic. That's a mans beer.

Who says I'm not a female? And I would not consider Budweiser to be a drink of significant taste.

On a more serious note, who cares who is drinking what.

CAV - Those are just the Swan M10's on stands, usually don't see them on them... Also that is an iPod stand, one that I wish I didn't pay for as it is a pain to take off my SPECK case (Does not fit with case on).

Here we go again. The last time I checked this is the "Post your workstation 2010 forum" and not the "Manliness, Alcoholic Beverage, Photo, Wall Color, Speaker Placement, etc gestapo forum".

Just admire the rig and move on.

@ Greeink
Nice speakers, what are they? Is that an iPhone/pod stand in the corner? Great job B&W pics look great! Don't give much thought to MavisX's suggestion - he is just a product of advertising. I personally like a case of Negra Modello during my build times :D

@ Morpheus9394

The1stCAV: just a heads up, but if you still have anti-static bags there I'd recommend you find an alternative to them as anti-static bags are slightly conductive and can cause damage.

hard lemonade? really? thats a girls drink man, go out and buy yourself some Budweiser and then re post this pic. That's a mans beer.

You know the clydesdales that Budweiser has?
Ever wonder what happens to their urine?
That's what your drinking.

The1stCAV: just a heads up, but if you still have anti-static bags there I'd recommend you find an alternative to them as anti-static bags are slightly conductive and can cause damage.

THX - forgot the conductivity issue - oops - replaced with anti-static foam

@Computergeek485
+1 Agreed with the statement......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back