Post your Windows 8 rigs here!

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
Backing up my Asus EP121 right now and waiting to download. I'll be up late playing with it and will post my setup experience and initial thoughts and some pics. I imagine I won't be alone so have it!

I, too, will be testing out Windows 8 on the EP121. Should make for an interesting experience. :) As of this post, 54% downloaded and 58 min. left to go.

The installer is TOUCH ENABLED! Started the installer for the x64 with dev tools on my EP121 about 20 minutes ago, still expanding files, now at 80%, a bit slow but with the tools it's no doubt a big install.

I've been looking for a reason / excuse to back up and split my (pointless) RAID. Downloading, slow as hell here (around 90KB/s, when my connection is good for 1MB+) so I won't get to play with it till some time tomorrow. May just wipe the laptop -- much easier, only a couple gigs of real data instead of finding a place for the TB of crap on this thing -- and try it on that. We'll see.

Capped from chromebook using snipping tool.

EDIT: I swear it doesn't look that blurry.

However, it's the clipping/snipping whatever it's called tool. CR-48 has no printscreen key, and my main KB is a bit hard to d/c. So used snipping tool (found that via app search by hovering over the start button).

Posting this from Windows 8 on the EP121 Slate. First impressions: W8 is extremely responsive on the EP121, much more so than Windows 7! The MetroUI is certainly different, but seems to work quite well with touch devices like the EP121. It literally feels like I'm using a completely different device with Windows 8. More impressions later!

I am debating on installing this on my Dell Mini 9 and getting rid of OSX.

Posting this from Windows 8 on the EP121 Slate. First impressions: W8 is extremely responsive on the EP121, much more so than Windows 7! The MetroUI is certainly different, but seems to work quite well with touch devices like the EP121. It literally feels like I'm using a completely different device with Windows 8. More impressions later!

I agree completely, Windows 8 is quite a bit zippier I'd say on the EP121.

So far the only thing that's not working for me are the buttons, accelerometer and Bluetooth out of the box, I've not tried the Windows 7 drivers yet. Out of those the only one I really care about is the Bluetooth. At this point I'll be it looks like Windows 8 is on my EP121 to stay.

My CR-48's bluetooth was instantly detected and installed, so I don't think whatever the EP121 uses will give trouble over that :)

Ugh, if I had the energy I'd yank my SSD and install win8 on the old HDD for my HP TX2 tablet.

Looks awesome though! I'm impressed.

Well it needs less ram than win7 rigs so I don't see an upgrade in that regarde. I have a win7 PC in my sig that will get win8. As well as an imac i'm selling to build another win8 rig.

1st gen ipad going to be sold for a win8 tablet.

Currently installing on my TM2T, would have done it last night but took forever to download. I can't wait to try this out and some of the new dev tools they demoed yesterday. Lucky bastards in attendence that got the preloaded systems.

I installed the 32-bit version on my Toshiba NB305 netbook (1.66 Ghz Atom, 2 GB of RAM). It runs totally fine, but since the screen resolution is only 600 pixels vertical, I can't launch any of the metro/native Windows 8 apps. I'm going to hook my netbook up to my 24 inch monitor tonight to play around with it more. I will say this... I heard them mention the resolution issue, but then completely forgot about it. It would be nice if you got a message when you tried to launch an application, that needed that resolution, to inform you of the problem and why your program isn't working! Oh well.

100_0568.JPG

Windows 8 is going to do well, the flexibility here is just of the charts. People are making FAR too much of the new Start Menu, it simply doesn't get in the way or not work well with a mouse or keyboard. I've been using this setup as my primary system for the last day and it's becoming clear that there are folks are Microsoft that are smarter than most of us. I simply haven't had any issues with the Start Screen with KBM only usage and it obviously is good for a touch screen device.

The Start Screen comes up, you did what you need to do, it goes away. It just isn't less functional than the menu and doesn't get in the way, it's fast, it simply takes up the screen but then it does away. It's JUST like the Start Menu in terms of launching applications and just as fast.

imo, it's the start menu with room to breathe and develop a personality.

Some people don't want any frills with their experience.. but most of them will grudgingly get used to it. :D

edit - and for once "Start" is not a misnomer.. it really is the start of your windows experience..

Running it on a Dell Latitude E6420 with Core i5, 4GB RAM, and 128GB SSD.

Really want to try this out on something with a touch screen. :(

Hmm... I must be getting old. I don't want to spend the time switching any of my 5 computers over.

I just want them to work properly (which they do) and have the games installed.

Acer Aspire ONE, Atom 1.6Ghz dual core, 3GB and 160GB HDD. This is my initial test (test maching, not directly connected to my networks), if I like it I will put it on my HP DM1z Fusion platform, AMD e350,11.6", 8GB RAM (for running virtual machines, for Server Admin stuff) and 250GB HDD. Alas I am disappointed that there is no ARM support and that ARM is only going to be for bundled with hardware sales (like tablets), I would of loved to have tested it on my Asus Transformer 32GB. I might even set up a dual boot on my desktop if I like it enough.

EDIT Had to use ncpa.cpl to get to the control panel, lol.

Last edited:
Back