Post your Surround Setups for your PC's!

Phimp

Gawd
Requirement: Must be used for a computer desk or something similiar. Not your home theater 5.1 audio setup that has an HTPC connected.

It's hard to scrounge up all the 4.1, 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 audio setups from the forum that are actually used for a PC, and not a home theater.

So if you have 5.1 Logitech's for your pc, receiver + speakers, or a dac + tube preamp + amplifier + high end speakers, if it's used for your PC and you sit in a computer chair, I wanna see it :p

Although, I'm sure this post will fall into the landfill of page 20-somethin within a few days since people will think "there's already a post your audio setups thread!"... I'm just looking for something a little more specific ;)

In 10 days (according to UPS tracking) I'll have my new Denon 5.1 receiver and I'll contribute with my pic.

Edit:
Mostly, I'm interested in seeing the diverse options for speaker placement that people use in their own setups.
The center channel especially, can take some inginuity to place properly in a 5.1 setup used with a computer/desk being that you are forced to plop it underneath the montior (potentially raising your monitor 6 inches higher than you would like it to be for ideal viewing, or figuring out how to hover it over the monitor if you don't already have a shelf for your desk above your displays...
I'm just brainstorming how I'll be placing my center if/when I get one. otherwise I'll be sticking with 4.1 using a "phantom" center since my front L/R's already have pretty amazing central imaging.

Last edited:
I have an Onkyo HT-S5100 7.1 sitting at my desk. I basically followed the placement diagram in the instructions.

hts5100.jpg

The sides and the rears are 3-4 feet up the wall. I rent a condo so I won't be running any cables and my desk is messy because it hasn't gotten to critical mass yet; that's when I need to find something and I've gotta just break down and clean it up to find what I'm looking for, heh. If you can mount speakers, do it!

Here's a bad example for your consideration... I've since moved to a stereo setup I am pleased with but I used to have some Logitech z-5500's. I have learned a lot about doing this properly since then, however. Personally I think the center channel would ideally point upward from under the monitor if it's small enough. The other four satellites should be at eye level for an ideal sound... that said, here's how not to do it.

My+Desk+-+February+2009.jpg

Mr_+B_s+Desk+Monitor+Arm.jpg

If you specifically choose 5.1 speakers for your PC with a view to a making your surround sound placement easy, given your specific desk/room/PC setup, it will be easy. This often works better than picking your speakers and then trying to figure out where everything is going to go.

In my case I looked for a decent quality budget (in audiophile terms) traditional (i.e. wood case) 5.1 speaker/subwoofer system. Most lower end (but still decent quality) traditional centre speakers will be fairly strong and sturdy as well as not very tall in most cases and this was no exception. Which makes it ideal for resting a monitor on top. Another option I had was to go for high end satellite speakers like the Tannoy Arena to put in front of your monitor but I felt it was better value for money to go for traditional wood speakers.

Anyway, combine that with an adjustable hight monitor and you can easily sit the monitor on top and it will be around the same level as it was before, maybe just slightly higher for large monitors. My centre is around 6 inches tall as opposed to my Dell monitor stand which raised it around 5 inches up, which is fine as I think you should look at a monitor straight on, not downward anyway.

Not going to post my rig again as there is already a thread for that in the stickies. But here's a link to a pic with my monitor on top of the centre here as an example. That's a Tannoy FC under the monitor. And it's a 27" monitor so someone with a smaller monitor would have the main viewing area even lower. And I specifically chose 70cm (rather than the normal 60cm) stands to ensure the surround speakers were at ear level when sitting on my computer chair.

I already posted in the sticky as well, but what the hell ;)

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0127-1.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0156-1.jpg

Sounds excellent to my ears. Some of the parts in my system are certainly considered vintage (early to mid 70's on the DLK's), but they do their jobs to a "T" :D

Back