Post your Speaker setup PICS!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
New sub arrived today from eBay. Mission M2Sas, 8" poly/alu driver, 100W amplifier. Should play nicely with my Mission 732 standmounts. I can't test it out until I buy some more speaker wire (luckily there's a hifi shop just across the road from where I work so I can pop out at lunch tomorrow). Once I've checked that it's in full working order, I'm unfortunately boxing it up again until September when I move into the new flat. My room in the current flat is far too small to set up my speakers properly (my standmounts are currently on the floor) & the walls are far too thin to use a subwoofer.

imgp1246ku3.jpg

my new setup...PSB B25's with BIC H-100 subwoofer

pc002copyay8.jpg

SexAAAAA

Finally moved my sub onto the floor and underneath my desk. Have taken great pains to prevent bass leakage from hitting the shared wall with the next apartment. The bass sounds way better coming out from under the desk than it did coming from the side, and with the new isolation I can turn it up a bit.

I think I have pretty much perfect speaker placement for games now. For watching movies I just move the screen and front speakers forward, move the couch up to where my chair is, and move the speakers behind the couch. Takes about one minute to change the workstation between PC use and movie watching.

left.jpg

front.jpg

right.jpg

very very nice

Here's the system in the new place... look for drastic changes coming up shortly.

IMG_1311.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

And the piece de resistance...
IMG_1610.jpg

I love the last pic...

Stay tuned for a brand new HT coming in tonight..

New sub arrived today from eBay. Mission M2Sas, 8" poly/alu driver, 100W amplifier. Should play nicely with my Mission 732 standmounts. I can't test it out until I buy some more speaker wire (luckily there's a hifi shop just across the road from where I work so I can pop out at lunch tomorrow). Once I've checked that it's in full working order, I'm unfortunately boxing it up again until September when I move into the new flat. My room in the current flat is far too small to set up my speakers properly (my standmounts are currently on the floor) & the walls are far too thin to use a subwoofer.

imgp1246ku3.jpg

Quoting my own pic for an update - sub doesn't work :<
Probably have to send it back, at my own expense, for a refund, not including original delivery, which means I'll be down >£25 for the venture. Why does this always happen to me?

Pinipig523, I like room setup.. esp the natural light shining in from behind the lcd. Those are pretty big windows. :cool:

FINALLY got my system working in it's entirety. As some of you may remember I've had a lot of trouble with the sub amp in one of my towers, which appears (after blowing twice and three trips to repair shops) to be finally resolved. At one point I was worried about ever getting it fixed right, but it's been going strong for two weeks (it lasted about 2 hours the first time they "fixed" it) so it seems all good.

I bought these speakers without ever hearing them. I owned the subwoofer that matches them and I'd heard the matching bookshelves, but I never heard the towers. I thought the bookshelves sounded great, and I thought my system was lacking a little in the bass department (the sealed 12" sounds great, nice and tight, but for HT it just can't hang with some of the ported, larger, and/or multiple driver offerings from places like Hsu, SVS, and Av123. So the towers sounded perfect, should add more than enough bass headroom to keep up with/exceed some of the best subwoofers out there, plus should have even better sound than bookshelves, being of similar construction except being 3 way instead of 2 way.

And I have to say that's exactly what I got. There's nothing quite like really being able to set your front speakers as "large" and being able to forego the subwoofer while running two channel and not lose anything on the low end. I think theres something to be said for the seamless, engineered integration of a 4 way, totally full range speaker. For quite a while I ran the speakers (since one sub amp was gone) as "small" and the two subs as separate subwoofers, and it just was never quite the same.

High end is crisp, clean and revealing. I need to do some more listening, and maybe some A/B testing versus my old B&Ws, as I sometimes feel like I miss that "British sound" a little bit, but that could be just fond memories talking or it could be due to room differences (the B&Ws have never been set up in my current living room and my Infinitys were never set up in my old living room).

If you can get a pair of these in perfect working order I think they're an amazing bang for the buck. At $750 or so each, the subwoofer alone is pretty much worth that much. There's no doubt they were overpriced at their 7,000 dollar MSRP, but the clearance price of 3500 or so at the end of their run was pretty reasonable IMO and at 1500 on the used market they're an absolute steal. Steel yourself for some repair issues though, if you happen to unlucky by myself. The repair ended up costing about 180 dollars IIRC (the company that I bought them from reimbursed me for the cost), so it wasn't that much money, it was just a very large headache and hassle and I spent over 6 months without a fully functioning system.

Overall I'm very happy with them. Depending on how the B&W comparison comes out I might consider, once I'm back in the lower 48, replacing them with something in the 803/804/805 range. We'll see.

0101600x1200.jpg

0111600x1200.jpg

2008-04-080901600x1200.jpg

i feel... kinda odd posting my speakers here. They didnt cost me big money. But, heck, they work

008-1.jpg

New setup for the office.

Source - X-Fi (spdif out)
Amp - HK AVR-320
Fronts - Monitor Audio B2
Sub - Infinity Interlude 120s

desk.jpg

speaker.jpg

sub.jpg

Amp - HK AVR-320

Nice setup. Could you please post a picture of side shelf? I'd like to see how the HK AVR looks like with nice speakers by its side.

Also, what stands are you using? I can't seem to find many speaker stands.

Amp - HK AVR-320

sub.jpg
That corner could cause some serious damage to a stubbed toe.

Nice, clean setup!!!

Nice setup. Could you please post a picture of side shelf? I'd like to see how the HK AVR looks like with nice speakers by its side.

Also, what stands are you using? I can't seem to find many speaker stands.

I'll take pictures of the Harman this evening for you. My stands are Sanus bf-31b, nothing too elaborate because they are hidden behind the desk. I like the way they make the speakers look like they are floating. They are actually on sale at amazon right now for like 30 dollars with free super saver shipping.

Just came home with a mint condition Pioneer SX-850 from '76 or '77. If you look here http://www.silverpioneer.netfirms.com/800_series_receivers.htm, you'll see that it's grade A Beef from a golden age in home audio. They literally do not/cannot build receivers like this any more unless you spend MEGA bucks (in the thousands). The thing powers up and is ready to go. I just need some equally killer (preferably from the same era) speakers for this instant karma setup. Anyone have any suggestions? BTW, this is only stereo (not surround), I'm looking for either floor-standers or bookshelf speakers. I'll listen to music and also use it for games and movies on my PC. Output to receiver is an M-Audio Revolution 7.1. I just need 64-bit drivers for it and it will be absolutely killer :D Will post pics in the morning.

~edit~
Here she is
IMG_1397.jpg

Here's my (almost complete) setup now, with new computer build, Pioneer SX-850, Polk bookshelfs, AKG K240 Sextett and Grado SR80 'phones, and Alesis Micron VA synth
IMG_1406.jpg

ahh, a synth. Ive wanted to get one for a while now.

I posted this in the workstation thread... and then moved the receiver behind my monitor. I just wanted to make sure that the speakers are in the correct positions... are they? for the best sound

008-2.jpg

2651118519_bcd1d29fa8.jpg

2651944500_cd64cc298b.jpg

My two setups. The TV speakers are Paradigm Ref Studio 40's, Jolida JD-100 Tube output stage CD player. Normally it's hooked up to a Bryston pre and Acurus A200 amp. The Bryston is older than I am and is basically line plus gain, I absolutely love it.

I've added a Behringer truth 2x 8" 360w sub to the iMac setup. I gotta say, for a $600ish set of computer speakers w/ amplification that 2.1 setup is pretty dang good. There's certainly better out there, but the bang for the buck with those things is better than I expected.

For the ML / Plinius guy, Pinipig. I used to sell ML, Plinius, Monitor, Magnepan, Krell, and some other rather high end gear. The ML + Plinius is a very very sweet setup. I always liked the Plinius gear over the Krell, it was much smoother to my ear. We had a 7.1 setup w/ the Ascents, the Descent, Theater, and Script-i surrounds, all with Krell showcase gear, and it sounded really good, but it could get a little crispy when pushed hard (for my taste) I have generally preferred the Maggies to the ML's, but that's just preference again. The best I ever heard was a MG 20.1 with a pair of Threshold 400w monoblock amps, and an AR tube pre, with a Linn turntable, and I have no idea what the arm / cartridge was, but GEEZ it sounded good. I really miss working there sometimes. You should get a Descent if you dig the 2.1 thing, but I'm sure the Summits have plenty of low end for most music. Or go like a buddy of mine and go 2x Grotto's. He's got Aeon-i's and a Grotto by each one and good lord it slams. The DVD-A disc of Insane Clown Posse - Shangri La, the Wraith, the track Ain't Yo Bidness, will absolutely rupture your spleen. If you haven't heard it, I strongly suggest it. The regular CD slams too, but the directional mixing on the DVD-A is nuts. Parental advisory, bad lyrics to say the least. Even if you're not a fan of the hardcore stuff like that (I'm not normally) you'll be able to appreciate the mixing that went into it. My other favorite recording is the Solid Gold Master series edition of SRV - The Sky is Crying. You may have heard it, if not it's available second hand and they run like $85-120 for one in good shape now that it's out of print.

For a trip down amnesia lane, I've got pics of a couple of the past iterations of my system.

2651251849_1fa88ce49e.jpg

Uh, no pre. Using variable out of the Denon as a pre of sorts, this didn't last long before I got the Bryston. Fraternity house, who knows what I was thinking...

2652078094_5c82a249ac.jpg

Same Paradigm Studio 40's, Studio CC, PDR12, and Paradigm Phantom rears (circa 1996, my first pair of honest to goodness Hi-Fi speakers, ah memories) Yamaha Rec, Denon CD Changer. Dorm room.

Just came home with a mint condition Pioneer SX-850 from '76 or '77. If you look here you'll see that it's grade A Beef from a golden age in home audio. They literally do not/cannot build receivers like this any more unless you spend MEGA bucks (in the thousands). The thing powers up and is ready to go.

Wow, really? My parents have had one of these exact units sitting in the basement collecting dust for 8 years. Gonna go take it off their hands, along with maybe some of the huge floor speakers they've got too :)

are you using a x-fi spdif passthrough? wouldnt onboard audio spdif out suffice in this case? :eek:

It could. However, before I updated to the current setup I was running analog and needed the ability to map separate channels to whichever output I felt necessary and the X-Fi was the best solution available at the time (initial release). It also has a slightly higher SNR at 109db vs the 100db of my motherboard. If I had any problems with the 64 bit drivers from creative I would have ditched it in a heartbeat, but why not use something I already have?

Plinko has is the micron as a synth? I want one and im deciding between the micro korg or the micron and im leaning more towards the micron.

Nick_Leo, definitely get the Micron. It is based on the same sound engine as the Alesis Ion, except it's in a smaller form factor with only 3 octaves and 3 assignable knobs (you can assign to any parameter). It also has onboard effects, sequencer, multitibral setups, and drum patterns. Really a great sounding and far more versatile synth than the Microkorg. That one comes across as a toy to me with its tiiny keys. You will NOT regret the Micron purchase! Really get some crazy sounds with it!!

Nick_Leo, definitely get the Micron. It is based on the same sound engine as the Alesis Ion, except it's in a smaller form factor with only 3 octaves and 3 assignable knobs (you can assign to any parameter). It also has onboard effects, sequencer, multitibral setups, and drum patterns. Really a great sounding and far more versatile synth than the Microkorg. That one comes across as a toy to me with its tiiny keys. You will NOT regret the Micron purchase! Really get some crazy sounds with it!!
Is it easy to use? Ive never used a synth b4 so like how long would it take me to figure out how to use it?

mphsbikr, what are you using to hold your white mac? is it a part of the desk? or was it something you put on top of your desk? i'm looking for something just like that, thanks!

I actually built the desk myself after realizing that I couldn't buy anything for less than about $1800 that had the layout I wanted. I started looking at a Biomorph, but it was getting $$$ really fast. Ultimately I wanted something that decoupled the monitor / computer from the keyboard surface, so that I could play the keyboard kinda hard w/o shaking the monitor and computer around. I used a solid core door for the main surface, and built the center part out of cabinet grade ply and painted it. The legs came from a website, and they unscrew from the bolt plates for easy moving. They also have leveling bases. The center upright has 3 shelves in it that hold external drives and power strip / UPS. The only cords that come out of it that aren't contained are 2 flat extension cords for power. It's a 19" rack mount width so that if I want to add rack rails to the sides I can rack equipment eventually, although I doubt I will. All said it cost me like $350 to build and took about a month working on it a little during the weekends. It was a lot of fun.

2653899023_768a8842d5.jpg

2654726254_8e29def82b.jpg

2654726042_f6cf6a2c1f.jpg

Ah, I see. I was looking for something to raise my monitor above my desk in order to accomdate a Swan M10 "subwoofer"/front center speaker. Beautiful desk by the way!

I actually built the desk myself after realizing that I couldn't buy anything for less than about $1800 that had the layout I wanted. I started looking at a Biomorph, but it was getting $$$ really fast. Ultimately I wanted something that decoupled the monitor / computer from the keyboard surface, so that I could play the keyboard kinda hard w/o shaking the monitor and computer around. I used a solid core door for the main surface, and built the center part out of cabinet grade ply and painted it. The legs came from a website, and they unscrew from the bolt plates for easy moving. They also have leveling bases. The center upright has 3 shelves in it that hold external drives and power strip / UPS. The only cords that come out of it that aren't contained are 2 flat extension cords for power. It's a 19" rack mount width so that if I want to add rack rails to the sides I can rack equipment eventually, although I doubt I will. All said it cost me like $350 to build and took about a month working on it a little during the weekends. It was a lot of fun.

Very good job, but you didn't give us a photo of it from in front with the monitor and keyboard in place.

Beauty and the beast.

Polk Audio SDA SRS-2 and av123 Rocket 550 MKII

Yes the Polks are insanely big and sound HUGE

Moving soon so no sense in making it look nice lol.

DSC01435.jpg

DSC01434.jpg

http://www.polksda.com/sdasrs2.shtml

haha I used to have a pair of the monitor 5's from polk (same high and mid-bass drivers) and they sounded fantastic I've seen the SRS-2's before and they only look so big because of the huge passive rads on them :p

Very good job, but you didn't give us a photo of it from in front with the monitor and keyboard in place.

My first post above has a picture with the front of the desk.

However, here's v.2 with the newly built hutch. I've got some sag issues with the shelves, so I'll re-do those, but you get the general idea.

2662565607_a074b059bd.jpg

I finally got my stereo receiver and speakers out of my car and back into my house and decided to use them for my computer. Yes I was actually using them in the car since I didnt feel like spending the money on a real system in the car so I just bought a decent power inverter and threw it in there, cost me a total of about $80 since I already had the audio equipment. =P

Anyway, I was using a 3 year old set of Creative Megaworks 250D 2.1 computer speakers, about 70 watts x2 and a 150 watt 8 inch sub. They sounded alright but I started craving more, especially out of the sub. I just dont think its design was thought out that great, like they tried to cram as much power into as small a cabinet as possible with an amp for the sub and speakers.

So now my setup is a HK 3485 stereo receiver that pushes 120 watts per channel into a pair of Sony SS-B1000 bookshelf speakers that have 5 1/4 inch woofers and a tweeter. I re-used the "stock" sub from my Onkyo HT system since I replaced it with a 12" JBL. The Onkyo sub is a 150 watt 8 inch that has a better sound and feel to it than the Creative did. This whole system is so much better in every detail then the old Creative system was.

So enough talking, here are the pics:

The old system:
100_6677.jpg

New receiver and sub:
100_6676.jpg

Bookshelf closeup:
100_6678.jpg

Whole setup:
100_6672.jpg

haha I used to have a pair of the monitor 5's from polk (same high and mid-bass drivers) and they sounded fantastic I've seen the SRS-2's before and they only look so big because of the huge passive rads on them :p

Yeah, they also have more bass than all but the very largest and most expensive modern subwoofers. Going down to 12hz is a feat!

I paid $350 for them and they can absolutely take the house down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back