Post your Speaker setup PICS!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice, Pinipig :cool:

That software looks a bit complicated though.
I'd probably gunk it all up, as I never use any EQ. (OK I used to in the car, but thats a different story) :p

Very nice, Pinipig :cool:

That software looks a bit complicated though.
I'd probably gunk it all up, as I never use any EQ. (OK I used to in the car, but thats a different story) :p

SMS software is very easy to use. The remote control has arrow keys and you just highlight the frequencies that require tweaking and you press up or down to adjust gain levels. The sub does a preliminary TWENTY FIVE test tone sweep from 15hz to 100hz to get a feel for the room and goes about sweeping every 5 seconds while you're adjusting the parametrics in real time! You can't screw it up! :

LOL!

I'm definitely getting one.... I think something like the DD-10's bigger brother, the 15 would be a good improvement for my system.

Well, with movies you really only need the "boom".

Besides, most of my music is at~192-256Kbps and it is rap and rock, it is either 2 12" Daytons, or one 12" BIC-H100.

I'm not suggesting for you, Monty, your comment just brought back memories of me wanting that elusive 5-10hz before...

No worries, the Velodyne DD series has a button for movies... the entire 20-50hz is lifted 3db to give that boom. The kicker is that it still maintains as good a flat frequency (more like a very slight downward slope) as possible given the room.

People use dual DD-15 or the DD-18 to really hit the 15hz sweetspot and provide for a thunderous movie affair.

Also, that's what the DD1812 is for....
1812_Audio-Reference.jpg

Nothing all that special in comparrison to this thread, but I love them already.

Polk RTi4's paired with a Harmon Kardon AVR 146, connected with 16ga wire I had lying around. Running analog from my laptop currently, will likely be running most of my audio from my desktop once it is in working order again (dead mobo, blech). I haven't burnt anything in, or really set it up correctly... but I can already appreciate the difference from my Logitech x230's (temporary setup that was in use for far too long).

I apologize for the crappy pics, my sister was guarding her new camera like a mother, so I had to make do with the old piece of shit. More later maybe :D

Not too shabby for under $400, I'd say!

if your gonna stack stuff on top of your receiver, you might want to get one of these antec cooler things. I dont know how hot those HK ones but it cant be good to block the vents.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1243199

if your gonna stack stuff on top of your receiver, you might want to get one of these antec cooler things. I dont know how hot those HK ones but it cant be good to block the vents.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1243199

It was a temporary fix for the night. The monitor isn't even hooked up (desktop is half RMA'd) and I needed somewhere to put it other than on the floor where the dog would get to it. I will look into the cooler, though. Once I get back to my dorm it will be on its own shelf, but I didn't feel like taking it home for the break.

The reciever does give off a decent amount of heat, though. Much more than my dad's old Kenwood.

My new sonic rig. HUGE upgrade from my previous 70's receiver crap. :D

PC/XB360 >> Rotel RC-1070 >> Rotel RB-1050 >> Paradigm Phantom Bookshelves

img0746uu0.jpg

Sorry for the horrible photo.

Pinipig: Wow thats nuts, one of the best 10" subwoofers in the audio world paired up with klipsch synergy! If i was your brother i would be buying some Monitor Audio GS10s...

Nothing all that special in comparrison to this thread, but I love them already.

Polk RTi4's paired with a Harmon Kardon AVR 146, connected with 16ga wire I had lying around. Running analog from my laptop currently, will likely be running most of my audio from my desktop once it is in working order again (dead mobo, blech). I haven't burnt anything in, or really set it up correctly... but I can already appreciate the difference from my Logitech x230's (temporary setup that was in use for far too long).

I apologize for the crappy pics, my sister was guarding her new camera like a mother, so I had to make do with the old piece of shit. More later maybe :D

Not too shabby for under $400, I'd say!

If you had a egro keyboard...a g5 and a vintage amp i woulda said "have we been seperated from birth?"

Nice setup...l

And Pini....you made your brother wear those gloves didnt you? im jealous of those gloves..touching so much high end audio gear....and when your done with that analyzer? can i borrow it? :p

Pinipig: Wow thats nuts, one of the best 10" subwoofers in the audio world paired up with klipsch synergy! If i was your brother i would be buying some Monitor Audio GS10s...

Indeed, I'd move up to some really REALLY nice main speakers. Perhaps moving up to Martin Logan's at that level.

And Pini....you made your brother wear those gloves didnt you? im jealous of those gloves..touching so much high end audio gear....and when your done with that analyzer? can i borrow it? :p
Oliver... you crazy man.... the analyzer is within the sub! I'd have to ship you the subwoofer! LOL! And those gloves are special... I wash them too..

Indeed, I'd move up to some really REALLY nice main speakers. Perhaps moving up to Martin Logan's at that level.

Thanks fellas! It's not even my sub but I feel happy for it! LOL!

I am just so proud of this frequency response curve we managed to get with a single sub placement (from about 20hz to 100hz, don't mind the FR after 100hz... that's not the sub)...

Sooo cool! Look at how flat it is... lol....

DSC02066.jpg

Right now, he's in the other room of our parents' house and he's playing the FEAR expansion pack... I swear my chest is getting pounded and the floor's shaking...

I need me one of what he's got, brohams!

My new sonic rig. HUGE upgrade from my previous 70's receiver crap. :D

PC/XB360 >> Rotel RC-1070 >> Rotel RB-1050 >> Paradigm Phantom Bookshelves

Kelim,

I've had the RC-1070 and the RB-1070 prior to my more recent gear. Don't you just love the remote that comes with the RC-1070?? I thought that little guy was cool as all heck. Now, even my most costly reference preamp does not have a remote control to switch sources or outputs!

Kelim,

I've had the RC-1070 and the RB-1070 prior to my more recent gear. Don't you just love the remote that comes with the RC-1070?? I thought that little guy was cool as all heck. Now, even my most costly reference preamp does not have a remote control to switch sources or outputs!
The remote is certainly fantastic, but I'm completely blown away by the sound. I'm so happy.

DOUBLE POSTAY

Pic of the whole shebang, including my new Ikea desk :cool::cool:

img0745uy3.jpg

PS: If anybody could give me some pointers on using my Canon PowerShot SD630, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture002ux2.jpg

I just took that the other day. I can't really use my Surround sound yet but once I move into my new places in a few months I can set it up.

I switched that setup though. I have 3 up top, 1 on my computer, 2 to the right, and one to the left of my monitor.

It's certainly a good step up from my 2.1 14wat Cyber Acoustic.

Added a new lcd from boxing day. I think I'm going to break out some woodworking skills and build a nice extended shelf for the lcd + speakers and have a better spot for the laptop to sit. I don't really like having the speakers on the stands as they are a bit low

IMGP1827.jpg

PS: If anybody could give me some pointers on using my Canon PowerShot SD630, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Only thing you need to know about that camera:

point and shoot

I own it (nice big screen) and it's just a point and shoot camera. nothing special in terms of custom settings except for some basics. pretty easy to get a shot of anything. don't use flash on close up objects I guess.

I have a friend with that camera, great little point and shoot, but his pics come out pretty sharp. I wonder if you need to mess with some settings to try and sharpen the image, maybe some more ambient light.

http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture002ux2.jpg

I just took that the other day. I can't really use my Surround sound yet but once I move into my new places in a few months I can set it up.

I switched that setup though. I have 3 up top, 1 on my computer, 2 to the right, and one to the left of my monitor.

It's certainly a good step up from my 2.1 14wat Cyber Acoustic.

Nice monitor, I grabbed two! Your ears must get pretty confused with what's coming from where, though.

This is the reference system I have here right now. Most of the components are housed in a wall unit and so they are a little dusty. The dCS front end takes ordinary red book CDs and upsamples them to DSD (SACD). The result is that they sound almost, but not quite as good as SACDs.

Squeezebox and Transparent Audio Reference Digital Cable.

squeeze.jpg

dCS Delius DAC and Purcell Upsampler

frontend.jpg

Mark Levinson Amplifier

amp.jpg

B&W Nautilus 802 Speaker and ASC Tubetrap
speakers.jpg

Transparent Audio Reference Speaker Cable feeding B&W Nautilus 802

speakercable.jpg

Transparent Audio Powerbank Power Conditioner and Bedini Ultra CD Clarifier

powerbank.jpg

I'm still waiting on my speakers and sub to get here but I will have pics up next weekend when it is all setup hopefully.

I went with KEF for my speakers, iQ5 (front), iQ2c (center), iQ1 (surrounds). Sub I had a hard time choosing but I went with Cadence CSX-12. They will be hooked up to my Onkyo TX-SR705.

This is the reference system I have here right now. Most of the components are housed in a wall unit and so they are a little dusty. The dCS front end takes ordinary red book CDs and upsamples them to DSD (SACD). The result is that they sound almost, but not quite as good as SACDs.

Squeezebox and Transparent Audio Reference Digital Cable.

dCS Delius DAC and Purcell Upsampler

Mark Levinson Amplifier

B&W Nautilus 802 Speaker and ASC Tubetrap

Transparent Audio Reference Speaker Cable feeding B&W Nautilus 802

Transparent Audio Powerbank Power Conditioner and Bedini Ultra CD Clarifier

wow...thats some nice upsampling gear you got there...nice rounded out setup, got all you bases covered...nice
and is your mark levison a integrated?

Blackstone....

Is that your rig or your Dad's? I remember talking to you via PM and you invited me to listen to your Dad's BW802 rig...

Blackstone....

Is that your rig or your Dad's? I remember talking to you via PM and you invited me to listen to your Dad's BW802 rig...

The only thing that impresses me about the setup, well besides the speakers and amp, is the ridiculous amount spent on worthless crap, i.e, the WAY overpriced speaker cable, and the cd-ultimator, or w/e. Also, I have mixed feelings on power conditioners as well.

The thing that really gets my panties in the bunch though is always the expensive digital cables though.

You tell him, monty!

I'm just kidding. I'm really new to all this stuff, so please elaborate on your opinions. Do you feel that the power conditioner detracts from SQ? Why are the cables overpriced? etc.

I still have to come by to listen to the setup, Bstone.... perhaps when it gets a little warmer here in our fair state of Illinois. Stupid winter time.. the sun sets earlier and it's tough to get going when my eye-balls freeze up.

You tell him, monty!

I'm just kidding. I'm really new to all this stuff, so please elaborate on your opinions. Do you feel that the power conditioner detracts from SQ? Why are the cables overpriced? etc.

I'm not going to say one way or another regarding cables.... but those particular cables that Blackstone posted are worth a few $Ks.

Yeah, my Dad's. I'll do some pictures of mine when I unpack. My cables aren't quite as thick but they are nice.

I have neither the time or inclination to get into a cable debate on this forum.

I will say that we blind tested the cables and there was absolutely no doubt in our minds that they offered a dramatic improvement. The MOST dramatic improvement was with that purple digital cable. Switching to that cable from a skinny Goldmund cable consistently improved the sound on every recording.

Originally, we had it connected to a Goldmund CD transport and used a spare Goldmund digital cable for the Squeezebox. After selling the transport the fancy cable was freed up so we started using it with the Squeezebox. It dramatically improved the sound of the Squeezebox. We A/B tested with two different cables and there was no doubt the Transparent was more musical and natural sounding and made the Squeezebox perform more like our transport.

I honestly don't know if the CD clarifier works or not. Probably not. It was not expensive. $50? Also, the cables, like all the other components, were traded in and upgraded over like 15 years. I would never just go out and buy cables like that outright, new. You are talking about the culmination of decades of marginal upgrades.

I don't doubt that there are a lot of overpriced, unnecessary cables and accessories on the market but the Transparent Audio stuff is great, in my experience. We also did those cables and tweaks well before we bought the upsampler. A lot of the tweaking was an attempt to compensate for the not so great sound of redbook CDs. We did the cables and tweaks almost a decade before the upsampler was available. If we had the upsampler at the outset we might have settled for lesser grade cable because the upsampler wound up fixing a lot of what we didn't like.

If you get a chance, swap cables with your dad without him knowing. That's the real test (if he complains).

Yeah!!
If it is that different then he will notice. It will be funny to see him walking around and stuff and then be pissed when he sees his cables have been switched!

Really though, I doubt he would notice with the Squeezebox.
I am guessing you are hooking it up via coax... right? Try hooking it up via toslink if you can and see what happens.

Yeah!!
If it is that different then he will notice. It will be funny to see him walking around and stuff and then be pissed when he sees his cables have been switched!

Really though, I doubt he would notice with the Squeezebox.
I am guessing you are hooking it up via coax... right? Try hooking it up via toslink if you can and see what happens.

I was told that theoretically coaxial is WAY better than toslink fiber optic because of how the signal gets processed:

Toslink: CD/DVD in digital form -> converted to light -> (goes thru toslink cable) -> converted back into digital form - > onto your actual processor and from there it's whatever you have

Coaxial: CD/DVD in digital form - > goes thru cable -> into processor

The coaxial eliminates the signal converting which theoretically is supposed to be better in general. Back a long time ago I had always thought that fiber optic was the very best but because of a very cool guy at a SpeakerLab store in Seattle (yep SpeakerLab) that I now know this stuff.

I only use fiber optic if it is entirely necessary as the only method of getting surround sound otherwise I use coaxial and it happens to be a lot cheaper to do coax too.

I was told that theoretically coaxial is WAY better than toslink fiber optic because of how the signal gets processed:

Toslink: CD/DVD in digital form -> converted to light -> (goes thru toslink cable) -> converted back into digital form - > onto your actual processor and from there it's whatever you have

Coaxial: CD/DVD in digital form - > goes thru cable -> into processor

The coaxial eliminates the signal converting which theoretically is supposed to be better in general. Back a long time ago I had always thought that fiber optic was the very best but because of a very cool guy at a SpeakerLab store in Seattle (yep SpeakerLab) that I now know this stuff.

I only use fiber optic if it is entirely necessary as the only method of getting surround sound otherwise I use coaxial and it happens to be a lot cheaper to do coax too.

I was told the same thing, but I can't verify it because I don't have a Toslink cable.

I have never A/Bd them, and the only thing I could do it with is my DVD player, which isn't too good of a transport, and frankly I could care less as in my situation it is only carrying a DD bitstream. With an optical it still stays digital as the light signal turning on and off is just 0 and 1s, and then when converted to another digital format it will still stay 0s and 1s. The argument there is null and they should sound the same.
Only difference is that coaxial is prone to ground loops and is a more rugged cable and is capable of longer runs. Where Toslink is a little bit more "delicate" cable.

They were on sale at 225€. I think that's 330$. Damn cheap for a good pair of floorstanding speakers.

Before anyone says that I could have bought some other speakers for that kinda money, remember that I live in Finland, so the prices are different..

They were on sale at 225€. I think that's 330$. Damn cheap for a good pair of floorstanding speakers.

Before anyone says that I could have bought some other speakers for that kinda money, remember that I live in Finland, so the prices are different..

And I live in England where we get ripped off left, right and centre :/

225 euro is only about £160 which is cheap. Can I have a link to the company you bought them from, would be interested to know if they ship to the UK as I can't find them here.

I'm also looking at some Jamo e875, can't seem to find a huge amount of info on them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back