• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Post Your Sandy Bridge Build

Wow thanks for those comparisons meatsauce. I am moving from a 900 to a 600t for by SB build and those were exactly what I needed. Its quite a bit bigger isn't it? Still, im really looking forward to it.

No problem, ha yeah it's pretty big. It should probably be labeled as a small full tower. Before you buy a 600T know that they are coming out with an upgraded version soon(april?) with a window/fan grill on the side panel. I'm going to buy one of those panels separately once they become available. So you might save some money buying it altogether when the new features come out?

http://www.corsair.com/special-edition-white-graphite-series-600t-mid-tower-case.html

Also the new 650D from Corsair looks pretty sweet:
http://www.corsair.com/obsidian-series-650d.html
 
CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K
Mobo - ASUS P8P67 PRO
RAM - ?
HSF - Hyper 212 Plus (amazon)
GPU - Evga GTX 570 or 6970
PSU - Seasonic X650 ($95 on sale at newegg)
HD - WD Black 500gb, 1TB WD Blue, 2TB Samsung
Case - Corsair 600T (see pics on page 2)
Keyboard - G15 (dented box deal)
Mouse - G500
Monitor - 27" Samsung P2770 ($250 during Black friday deal at newegg)
 
Going to start off with a simple mobo & cpu swap.

Dropping in the-
Asus P8P67 PRO & the i7 2600k with highest stable OC I can get under 1.45v.

Possibly a larger case.

After that I'll get another GTX 570 and a couple more monitors as I'm currently using a single 23".

Then. While I got a sweet ass deal on my 4 1TB Blue's and I love them, I would eventually like to trade them out for 5 1.5TB WD Blacks. And add another 2TB Green.

All the while having fun silencing the rig and modding a superquiet cooling system. :D

Gonna be fun :cool:
 
Last edited:
Case: Silverstone RV02B-W
CPU: i5 2500K
GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon 5870 1GB (thanks hotdeals)
MoBo: Asus P8P67 PRO
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (2x)4GB
PSU: Seasonic X-660 Gold
OS HDD: Intel X25-V 40gb SSD
Heatsink: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus
 
No problem, ha yeah it's pretty big. It should probably be labeled as a small full tower. Before you buy a 600T know that they are coming out with an upgraded version soon(april?) with a window/fan grill on the side panel. I'm going to buy one of those panels separately once they become available. So you might save some money buying it altogether when the new features come out?

http://www.corsair.com/special-edition-white-graphite-series-600t-mid-tower-case.html

Also the new 650D from Corsair looks pretty sweet:
http://www.corsair.com/obsidian-series-650d.html

Now you've gone and done it! I'm back to being unsure about my case :D I think I'm gonna add a window in myself, but if you can order a window panel and its anything like the one from the white 600t special edition they just showed off, then I may do that. I definitely cannot hold out until april.

The 650d looks tempting. I'm just not sure. Looks like its gonna be a more efficient use of space, but I can't quite decide if I'm a fan of the clean cut squareness of the obsidians. Its why I am only half a fan of Lian Li's, they are such elegant cases but they just don't do anything for me. But for those who like that, the 650d looks amazing, thanks for the link.

terryboard21 said:
Wish eVGA hurry up & release their P67 board already

I hear that, their SLI p67 looks beautiful, shame SLI is the one feature I really don't need. I'm glad im not pushing the button on my build for 2 to 3 weeks, give a bit more time for the motherboard situation to flesh out. Do you guys think that most major brands will have released their boards by then?
 
Why would the enthusiasts on this board go with i5-2500K over i7-2600K? To me it seems worth paying +$100 to get the best performance from the workhorse component of your system. Or is the feeling thet i7-2600K is overkill for some?
 
Why would the enthusiasts on this board go with i5-2500K over i7-2600K? To me it seems worth paying +$100 to get the best performance from the workhorse component of your system. Or is the feeling thet i7-2600K is overkill for some?

From what I have seen the 2500k is not that far behind 2600k in anything that doesnt take full advantage of hyper-threading, and if you are trying to set yourself a limit of how much you can spend on that system, there are lots of things you might wanna put that extra $100 towards first. I think the best enthusiasts are those who can really highlight bang for buck performance instead of just picking the top of line, and for me the 2500k really hits a sweet spot. Not that I wouldn't kill to throw an extra few grand into my system :D
 
The extra $100 for hyperthreading is worth it. HT enabled programs aside, it gives the whole system a faster feel overall. If you're a heavy multi-tasker, the extra threads give everything a very smooth riding feel as if you could just keep piling stuff on and it won't quit.

Think about how long you're going to have this chip? A year at the very least right? That's 28cents a day. Skip eating out for a week/month, or whatever, and ya break even. :D

For those that don't have an SSD though and want to put that extra Bill towards an SSD over the HT, I definitely agree with that. :)

Either way though, both chips and gold and will make any of us happy campers :cool:
 
Last edited:
CPU: i5-2500K
MB: Gigabyte UD3P
GPU: Asus 6950 (to flash to 6970)
Case: Antec Dark Fleet DF-35
RAM: 2 x 4GB G.Skill Sniper 1333
SSD: Crucial C300 128GB
PSU: Antec 620 Eco


This is coming from an E5200 (2.5Ghz Pentium) that won't overclock more than 100MHz and an HD4830 that gets way too hot for my taste. I expect to notice a difference.
 
Last edited:
case, PSU, and HSF received today :)

CasePSUHSF.jpg
 
I got my budget today, $1,368.35.

Im really trying not to make a build until the newegg combo deals come out. But man it is hard to resist . :)

Sunday will be a fun day though.
 
Hey Porter, will you throw up some more shots of your new case? From the one pic you posted, it looks nice and clean and with all the new parts I ordered, I was thinking about throwing in a new case when I order my chip on Sunday. The cable management in my CM690 just doesn't cut it and it's really going to be cramped for space with all my new gear!
 
CPU: i5-2500K
MB: Gigabyte UD3P
GPU: Asus 6950 (to flash to 6970)
Case: Antec Dark Fleet DF-35
RAM: 2 x 4GB G.Skill Sniper 1333
SSD: Crucial C300 128GB
PSU: Antec 620 Eco


This is coming from an E5200 (2.5Ghz Pentium) that won't overclock more than 100MHz and an HD4830 that gets way too hot for my taste. I expect to notice a difference.

Jus a lil' :D
 
Hey Porter, will you throw up some more shots of your new case? From the one pic you posted, it looks nice and clean and with all the new parts I ordered, I was thinking about throwing in a new case when I order my chip on Sunday. The cable management in my CM690 just doesn't cut it and it's really going to be cramped for space with all my new gear!

yeah i'll post some more pics tonight when i'm home from work. in the mean time newegg has some nice photos and a video of it. also this thread on overclock.net has lots of pics of member's cable management, etc. it's a nice case with excellent cable management, but the name is cheesy IMO and i'd prefer it didn't say 'sniper' on the outside of the case. but you have to sacrifice somewhere if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg.
 
I got my budget today, $1,368.35.

Im really trying not to make a build until the newegg combo deals come out. But man it is hard to resist . :)

Sunday will be a fun day though.

That is right around what my build is going to cost, not including reuse items. I have $1177 as the low end and $1357 as the high end.
 
CPU: i7 2600K
MB: MSI P67-GD65
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1333
GPU: 6870 or 6950 (not decided yet)
Case: Lian Li PC-9F
SSD: Intel X25-M 120GB
PSU: Corsair HX520 (Old, but I've never pushed it hard so it should be okay)
 
Bah. I'm fighting the urge to upgrade. Trying to save for mods to my other baby (car).
 
CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K (Waiting to get in stock)
Mobo - ASUS P8P67 PRO (Waiting to get in stock)
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB)[/SIZE] DDR3 1600 (Received)
HSF - Corsair H70 (About to buy)
GPU - 2x XFX 6950 2GB (About to buy)
PSU - Corsair TX950 (About to buy)
HD - Crucial C300 128GB (About to buy)
Monitor - 3x Dell U2311H (Just bought)
Case - Corsair 800D (Received)
DVD - Sony Optiarc (About to buy)
Soundcard - X-fi Titanium HD (About to buy)
Keyboard - Logitech G15 (reusing)
Mouse - Razer Deathadder (reusing)
Mousepad - Ratzpad XT (reusing)
 
only thing missing is the cpu! excuse the bad quality phone pics, my gf left our camera in her classroom. i'll update my first post with total price and pics.

IMG_2047.jpg


IMG_2043.jpg
 
Question to the panel regarding RAM choice...

I notice some of you are specifying 1333MHz RAM while others are opting for 1600MHz.

I also read someone saying that for Sandy Bridge there's no difference between the two, is this true?

Would THIS be suitable for a Sandy Bridge build, on an Asus P8P67 Pro?

I looked at the Asus QVL list for this board and noticed that particular Patriot stuff is not shown (but it is EOL on the Patriot site, so maybe that is why?).

The reason I looked at that stuff is that it's very low latency compared to other stuff (although I am informed that apparently the timings make bugger all difference in real world performance).
 
Tomorrow I think...not sure...been camping outside MC for 3 days now so lost track...:D

lol, yeah its tomorrow, I just cant wait to start buying. Its like im 8 and its X-mas eve all over again.

Im just hoping newegg comes out with some good combo deals, cause im about $100 over budget right now.
 
CPU: i5-2500k
MOBO: No idea yet
Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus $30
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) $90
HD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s $70
SSD: Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III $245
Case: COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced $80
Kb: RAZER Black USB Wired BlackWidow $130
Mouse: Mx518 (re-use)
PSU: Antec 650w (re-use)
GPU: GTX 290 (re-use)
Monitor: Asus 23" (re-use)

Total: $645 + CPU & Mobo cost

Upgrading from C2D 8400. This will all be ordered from newegg since I have some gift card monies. I went with DDR3 1333 RAM after reading a lot of comments around [H] how 1600 might not make a big difference.

What about the SATA II HD for storage? Does it make sense to go with a SATA III HD instead?
 
Question to the panel regarding RAM choice...

I notice some of you are specifying 1333MHz RAM while others are opting for 1600MHz.

I also read someone saying that for Sandy Bridge there's no difference between the two, is this true?

Would THIS be suitable for a Sandy Bridge build, on an Asus P8P67 Pro?

I looked at the Asus QVL list for this board and noticed that particular Patriot stuff is not shown (but it is EOL on the Patriot site, so maybe that is why?).

The reason I looked at that stuff is that it's very low latency compared to other stuff (although I am informed that apparently the timings make bugger all difference in real world performance).

since all of your cpu overclocking is done via the multiplier, it 'devalues' the importance of fast ram (in that regard). however fast ram is still just that....fast ram. i went with 1600mhz because it was basically the same price as 1333mhz. if i had to guess, i'd say that you'll be fine with either speed. though i think you'll find yourself in the same situation i did - little price difference between the two.

as far as ordering ram that is not listed on the QVL, chances are you'll be just fine. i didn't feel like risking it because there are many ram options available and i had no trouble finding ASUS-approved ram. congrats on the new build :)
 
Okay here is my build again with latest revisions and purchases so far:

Still debating on motherboard, until I see what prices are. I dropped the RAID 0 SSD's to single 256GB, bumped memory up to 16GB, changed case to 650D from 800D.
With savings in SSD, and case choices, I went ahead and added new cooler, and soundcard so parts can be migrated with older motherboard.

New parts:
CPU: Intel 2600k ($280 at M/C if I'm lucky)
Motherboad: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 or Asus P8P67 Pro or MSI P67A-GD65
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D (have to wait till March/April for this)
Primary drive - SSD: Crucial RealSSD 256GB C300 SATA III ($490)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 (4x4GB) [9-9-9-24] ($228)
Audio: X-Fi Titanium Fatality Professional PCIe ($150)
Cooler: Corsair H70 ($100)
DVD/BR: LG Blu-Ray UH10LS20 ($80)

Reused parts from current system:
Static Storage: 2x320Gig Seagate drives
Video: XFX 6970
Speakers: Klipsch Promedia 5.1
Headphones: Logitech G35
Monitors: Eyefinity w/Dell U2410/U2410/2405
Keyboard: Logitech G19 & G13
Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution
 
Last edited:
since all of your cpu overclocking is done via the multiplier, it 'devalues' the importance of fast ram (in that regard). however fast ram is still just that....fast ram. i went with 1600mhz because it was basically the same price as 1333mhz. if i had to guess, i'd say that you'll be fine with either speed. though i think you'll find yourself in the same situation i did - little price difference between the two.

as far as ordering ram that is not listed on the QVL, chances are you'll be just fine. i didn't feel like risking it because there are many ram options available and i had no trouble finding ASUS-approved ram. congrats on the new build :)

Thanks for the heads up. Sadly my new build has failed to get off the ground. I was umm'ing and ahh'ing about it for ages. I tried to pull the trigger this morning (reserve and collect order with OCUK) but failed at the payment verification stage (not a card declined, it was the verified by visa bullshit that didn't work even though it accepted my password). I took it as a sign and gave up!

Starting to think a new build would be a waste of money (other than indulging my hobby I guess)....not sure though and there's always "tomorrow".

However, the information on the RAM is useful. I was looking at the Patriot stuff because it's low latency...but having said that, OCUK did not have many 1600MHz dual channel kits that are on the QVL!!

Makes it kind of hard when you're trying to spec up a new comp!! :confused:
 
Thanks! Yeah, can't believe it myself, but hard to say no to that price, and won't get a chance to do this again until next year..

yes i know, i was being humorous because you're essentially buying a shit-ton of RAM. very nice build by the way :)
 
I'm just waiting on the 2600K and mobo which is undecided still.
Other then that I have everything waiting!

Heatsink: COrsair A50
GPU: GTX 580
SSD: Crucial c300 256GB
HDD: WD Cavier black 2TB
RAM: 8GB Gskill ripjaws
PSU: COrsair AX750
Case: CM storm scout

Hell I'm even renewing my KB, mouse and speakers!
KB: Saitek Eclipse II
Mouse: Razer Lachesis
Speakers: Klipsche Promedia 2.1
 
CPU - Intel Core i5-2600K
Mobo - Gigabyte P67A-UD7
RAM - G.Skill ECO 2x4GB 1.35V 1600MHZ 8-8-8-24
HSF - Venomous X / Noiseblocker M12-P
GPU - XFX 6950 2GB
PSU - Corsair AX850
HDDs - 160GB X-25M G2 Intel SSD / 2TB WD Green drive
Case - FT02B-W
Soundcard - Onboard for now
Keyboard - Filco Majestouch Linear Force NKRO
Mouse - Dell Tactx
Display - 2209WA (Likely to be my next upgrade)

HSF, keyboard, mouse and display are all reused.

I had actually started a seperate thread on the Intel subforum as my build is complete, but Porter kindly pointed me here. You can see additional photos in the link below:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1036675406&posted=1#post1036675406

SB1.jpg

SB3.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top