Post your retro hardware.

ebcw9c.jpg

I would gladly take that system ?!

I would gladly take that system ?!

A buddy of mine worked at the recycling plant off of Falconbridge. He would take home quite an array of computer parts, old laptops, batteries, etc. Not to mention some other crazy stuff. Do you have lots of parts? I need a P3 to fit an old socket PGA 370.

are you seriously.. in Sudbury ! LOL .. Cause I know exactly where falconbridge is ( off lasalle and Kingsway ) :D

Also I don't have many parts anymore as I am going into the laptop repairs, I did manage to collect a dual socket PGA 370 board with 4 sd ram slots. It has a P3 1000mhz processor on it ( other is empty ). Motherboard is MSI 694D Pro 2

are you seriously.. in Sudbury ! LOL .. Cause I know exactly where falconbridge is ( off lasalle and Kingsway ) :D

Also I don't have many parts anymore as I am going into the laptop repairs, I did manage to collect a dual socket PGA 370 board with 4 sd ram slots. It has a P3 1000mhz processor on it ( other is empty ). Motherboard is MSI 694D Pro 2

lol, I was looking at that yesterday on kijiji. :D

I have a couple mobo's already, plus spare power supplies. Both mobo's have CPUs also, but they are 850 Celerons. :(

They can run a little server but I think even a 1000 mhz P3 would perform much better. If you'll take $30 for the CPU, send me a pm.

lol, I was looking at that yesterday on kijiji. :D

I have a couple mobo's already, plus spare power supplies. Both mobo's have CPUs also, but they are 850 Celerons. :(

They can run a little server but I think even a 1000 mhz P3 would perform much better. If you'll take $30 for the CPU, send me a pm.

Pm coming

First PC I bought way back when. Dell XPS D300. Went through a few of upgrades since it was born. A Celeron 450 resides in it now and 2 Voodoo2s. Had to use the adapter card for the CPU. Came with an Iomega Zip drive which I rarely used and the Matrox Millenium. Still runs (Windows 95). I keep it to play old games that can't run on my newer machines.

dellpc1.jpg

dellpc2.jpg

Here's my first "computer". We got it in 1980. It still works, and I have over 3 dozen games!
2ez2236.jpg

My first "real" computer was a 286 which got upgraded to a 486 then to a doorstop and sadly I don't have it anymore. But we also had this, which we used for a while until it was upgraded to a Pentium 166! It also still works.
9hnte0.jpg

6r0j2t.jpg

Now that's an upgrade!
2wmjek8.jpg

These aren't quite as old, but they likewise still work:
34s1cbd.jpg

Sometime later, this was the King of the World. Still works if I want to run Windows 98.
ayrfyf.jpg

Check out the Voodoo 3 3500 with a TV tuner!
a58g8w.jpg

Funny enough, I still enjoy the aesthetics of that old dell. Good times back then, thanks for the pics!

First PC I bought way back when. Dell XPS D300. Went through a few of upgrades since it was born. A Celeron 450 resides in it now and 2 Voodoo2s. Had to use the adapter card for the CPU. Came with an Iomega Zip drive which I rarely used and the Matrox Millenium. Still runs (Windows 95). I keep it to play old games that can't run on my newer machines.

dellpc1.jpg

dellpc2.jpg

I had one of those too. Solid pc for quite a few years, right up until the whole thing died.

I had one of those too. Solid pc for quite a few years, right up until the whole thing died.

Yea. It was very reliable until it wouldn't power on one day. The PS had died. Since Dell didn't use a standard PS connector, I was out of luck trying to replace it with a new off-the-shelf PS. However, I opened the PS and sprayed contact cleaner all over, let it dry, reinstalled it and it works again.

I've got quite a few relics to post in this thread. For starters, here's a "Notebook Size Computer" (300, 486 Series); like the keyboard? haha
Notebook%252520Size%252520Computer%252520%252528300%25252C%252520486%252520Series%252529%252520-%252520Open%252520%2525231.JPG

Notebook%252520Size%252520Computer%252520%252528300%25252C%252520486%252520Series%252529%252520-%252520Open%252520%2525232.JPG

Notebook%252520Size%252520Computer%252520%252528300%25252C%252520486%252520Series%252529%252520-%252520Keyboard.JPG

Notebook%252520Size%252520Computer%252520%252528300%25252C%252520486%252520Series%252529%252520-%252520Closed.JPG

Last edited:
That could be used for a serious modern day build.. Think about all the components you could fit in there :eek:

Airflow is terrible on those old server towers. Normally it's a pair of 60mm fans on the back, one just above the other. They're loud as hell and barely move any air. Because of the low airflow cable management would be much more important than in a modern case, but it'd be near impossible because the thing is so narrow and no consideration was made in its design to routing cables. Can you fit a lot of stuff in it? Sure. You can cook all that stuff with it too.

Airflow is terrible on those old server towers. Normally it's a pair of 60mm fans on the back, one just above the other. They're loud as hell and barely move any air. Because of the low airflow cable management would be much more important than in a modern case, but it'd be near impossible because the thing is so narrow and no consideration was made in its design to routing cables. Can you fit a lot of stuff in it? Sure. You can cook all that stuff with it too.

I didn't know adding case fans was impossible.

Sides and top, sure, but the back won't allow 120mms, and in most cases not even 90mms. Cases have come a long way.

No I had the same case, Much to my dismay the word "had" is used, It uses a 120 on the back bottom section and a 92mm above the psu and has 3 92 mm fans in the front with a filter.

I scraped it a while back i wasn't [H] at the time and i thought i would never use it. :(

Sides and top, sure, but the back won't allow 120mms, and in most cases not even 90mms. Cases have come a long way.

Okay so throw some 80mm fans in there. What I'm saying. There are many things you can do in order to keep temps down, even in a case such as that.

No I had the same case, Much to my dismay the word "had" is used, It uses a 120 on the back bottom section and a 92mm above the psu and has 3 92 mm fans in the front with a filter.

I scraped it a while back i wasn't [H] at the time and i thought i would never use it. :(

You fail... I would have taken a case like that right off your hands!

Okay so throw some 80mm fans in there. What I'm saying. There are many things you can do in order to keep temps down, even in a case such as that.

You fail... I would have taken a case like that right off your hands!

I know i fail i would have kept it if i had known i would have got into computers.

Got some old hardware hidden around the place.

Olivetti PCS 11:

DSC00872-005.jpg

Should be a 16MHz 80386 with 4MB RAM and a 40MB drive. Can't be bothered checking. :p It doesn't work, never has. Fished it out of a dumpster like 10 years ago, because I liked the case. Always imagined I'd put a mini/nano-ITX in it. Some day soon...

And now, the twins - two IBM PC Server 330:

DSC00873-006.jpg

Massive old servers. One sadly doesn't have the cover, and so I use it for "parts" (also I can't part with it.)

The working one has 2 x 133MHz Pentium Pro procs. IIRC it has something like 640MB RAM.

Disks (6 x 4.51GB SCSI with hotswap):

DSC00875-008.jpg

CPU's and RAM is on a daughterboard in the bottom of the case. Passive cooling baby! (Don't mind the dust, they've been in storage for years):

DSC00879-012.jpg

Side view of the entire case:

DSC00878-011.jpg

The white bit is a plastic cover to cover up the ugly. Other one without it:

DSC00876-009.jpg

Spot the SCSI controller there? The working server uses onboard, but the other one has this massive beast:

DSC00882-015.jpg

Actually used the working one with Server 2000 some years ago. Noisy like you wouldn't believe but runs solid. Boot it up every year just to check. Two reasons I can't part with this. One, I just can't make myself throw it out. Two, it looks awesome, so maybe one day I could mod it and fit modern hardware. Heh.

Well, that's a couple of my more special items. Got the usual assortment of old graphics cards etc. too. Hm, maybe I'll post the old P3 Compaq I have somewhere around here...

^ Iove those PC Server cases, unfortunately impossible to find those systems these days.

Got some old hardware hidden around the place.

CPU's and RAM is on a daughterboard in the bottom of the case. Passive cooling baby! (Don't mind the dust, they've been in storage for years):

DSC00879-012.jpg

Are those brown slots 32-bit EISA slots, or are they MCA slots? I know that usually, EISA slots were the same color as ISA, and MCA slots were usually brown, but I can't remember exactly what the connectors looked like.

It's been so long since I've seen anything like the old ISA/VLB combo slots

Are those brown slots 32-bit EISA slots, or are they MCA slots? I know that usually, EISA slots were the same color as ISA, and MCA slots were usually brown, but I can't remember exactly what the connectors looked like.

It's been so long since I've seen anything like the old ISA/VLB combo slots

Those are EISA slots. Other servers in the PC Server series had MCA slots. But, the 300 series was entry level and only the 500 and 700 series received models with MCA.

They are nice cases, and hopefully some day I'll put a modern system in one of them. They are actually fairly wide, unlike a lot of older server towers, coming in at 19cm in width. So it shouldn't be all that hard to fit decent cooling and stuff.

come on please post more pictures people.

it is interesting how we came from 8mb of ram to 8gb. will we ever go from 8gb to 8tb!? that's scary.

come on please post more pictures people.

it is interesting how we came from 8mb of ram to 8gb. will we ever go from 8gb to 8tb!? that's scary.

Who knows. Someday 8tb of RAM might be min requirement for some games! Crysis 2050 maybe?

some of the hardware boards on these old computers look a lot more complex than today's computer hardware imo.

I'm rebuilding an old 386. I'll post pix when it's done, but right now I'm just trying to get an AT PSU to last more than a week. I guess my problem was getting a new one off of Newegg from Athena Power... :( well, their support is freaking bulletproof at least.

IBM - ThinkPad (510Cs)

Since we're posting old ThinkPads, here's my oldest ... I think.

Had one of those or similar, got started with FreeBSD on it (2.2.6). Always wonder where it ended up. Had an external floppy and everything. Installed FreeBSD with two floppy disks (Literally two, we had to keep copying). I think it had a 60MB hard drive or something--it was a small install. :D

Pentium 4 days [check]
AGP slot [check]
Ohhh so pretty still [check]

P1020577.jpg

Back