Post your Oblivion pics here!

I was thinking the same thing, why look at the scenery when a damned Ninroot is soo freaking close.

vanilla QTP3 Beta QTP3 RC1

vanilla QTP3 Beta QTP3 RC1

Let me first say this: you did a fantastic job at bringing the game world to life! Thank you!

I'm glad you got rid of the fossils. It was an immersion shatterer when every rock by the water has fossil imprints on them.

I'd like to know one thing though. Are the black patches on the side of the hill seen in the screenshots above suppose to be there? They look kind of funky, as though somebody had torched the trees and replanted some more.

Let me first say this: you did a fantastic job at bringing the game world to life! Thank you!

I'm glad you got rid of the fossils. It was an immersion shatterer when every rock by the water has fossil imprints on them.

I'd like to know one thing though. Are the black patches on the side of the hill seen in the screenshots above suppose to be there? They look kind of funky, as though somebody had torched the trees and replanted some more.

That's Qarl's LOD texture, separate from TP3. The black patches are shadows/cliffs.

How come going from vanilla to the left pics makes it seem worse? Like the background is all fuzzed out and blurry. The close up rock area and what not looks really nice but past that looks horrible

How come going from vanilla to the left pics makes it seem worse? Like the background is all fuzzed out and blurry. The close up rock area and what not looks really nice but past that looks horrible

Because those pics were taken with Qarl's Depth of Field mod.

So how much do the graphical add-ons liek Quarl's texture packs affect performance?

I'm gearing up to play Oblivion for the first time and this really has me curious...

Yeah I was wondering the same thing too...

:D

Well, I have just about all the most stressing grahic texture mods on mine and it's very good still. The fps dips below 30 sometimes, but it's worth it for the extra eye candy.. mostly like in Lewawynn, which is sort of a wide town... but outside things are really good most everywhere, which is the hardest stuff to render usually.. if there are a lot of people around that can cause a tiny bit of chop when combined with all the parallax textures.. but as I said, the improvments are worth it.. IMO.

I like the general concept of making stuff in the distance blurry, but I'm not too keen about this mod. Just a preference. I prefer the "look" of the game without it. That said, I'd like to say that it was a great attempt by Qarl in making something like this. Keep up the hard work. :)

I like the general concept of making stuff in the distance blurry, but I'm not too keen about this mod. Just a preference. I prefer the "look" of the game without it. That said, I'd like to say that it was a great attempt by Qarl in making something like this. Keep up the hard work. :)

i agree, im not nearsighted in real life, so why should my character be. good idea tho.

I agree that the concept is cool as well, but the blur is a little too much, and I think it affects things too close in the distance. Looking at a guard from 3 feet away should not be blurry.

A few pics from last night.

Hangin out with the ancestor.

127fs2892123.jpg

Oh... holyer then thou!!

127fs2892252.jpg

But wait, why is she sneaking out of the water there?

127fs2892371.jpg

Hmmm.... seems the holy knight might have a shady past...

127fs2892942.jpg

Oh yeah. This b!tch is evil.

127fs2893025.jpg

Great pics once again Droopz!

I installed the KoTN mod but it seems one of my mods conflicts with it because I found about 3 knights dead in a goblin cave. Then again, easy loot!

screenshot82ro4.jpg

Rainbows!
screenshot113hb7.jpg

screenshot114or3.jpg

screenshot115sv7.jpg

yes, I should install that one.. some of the grass looks bright in areas..

I should mention, all that @ 1920x1200 on a single 8800GTX with fluid frames! I see the fps dip under 30 every once in a small while.. it's only when there's tons of crap on the screen.. like, TONS.. anyways.. no AA on because @ 1920x1200 it's not too big of a deal.. and in the Oblivion universe I don't think all the edges should be smooth.. ;) maybe after SLI I can use AA tho.. the performance hit was the biggest deterant.

anyways.. yeah, these mods are awesome. I find myself just wondering around looking at stuff again. lol

Same here with a single X1900xtx, the only problem i have is choppy gamepaly when entering a large open area or quickyl tunrinr g around with a lot of trees - the fp sis fine 640x480 1920x1200 - same problem :shrug:

I just looked at those comparison photos between the Vanilla and the Qarl's modified textures and all I gotta say is: HOLY CRAP! The difference is amazing!

I can't believe you Qarl doesn't work for Bethesda. They should be hiring his butt right now if he doesn't.

Finally got around to doing some of the classic quests...

Party up in here!!!

127fs3103232.jpg

Starting to get a bit of a collection going. I think I'll have to find a decent mod with a good display area.

127fs3103426.jpg

I am having a hard time installing quarl's texture mod. How do you install the zip file after downloading it? Where do you extract it? You need any third party programs to enable it or the oblivion mod launcher when you installed the game to enable it or just launch the game and it automatically works? The depth of field mod was easy to install but I have no idea how to install this mod.

From memory, Qarls mod is just a huge collection of replacement textures, so it would unzip into the 'Data' folder and will override all the stock textures in the various folders in it.

Just extract the file into the Oblivion/data folder and override everything it asks to.

From memory, Qarls mod is just a huge collection of replacement textures, so it would unzip into the 'Data' folder and will override all the stock textures in the various folders in it.

Just extract the file into the Oblivion/data folder and override everything it asks to.

I did that and cannot notice any difference. The far out forest and hills look a bit more bumpy but closer they are just flat.

The textures are more noticeable up close. Try walking around a town and looking at stones walls, buildings, walkways etc. Those are always the first things that I notice with Qarl's textures. They should all be much more detailed and realistic...it shouldn't be too hard to notice.

Maybe you need to do an archive invalidation? You can download the Oblivion Mod Manager and there is a setting that will do all of that automatically for you.

and be sure to check the "female NPC's with hard nipples" check box in the Oblivion config screen. ;) lol

I did that and cannot notice any difference. The far out forest and hills look a bit more bumpy but closer they are just flat.

Read Qarl's readme's. You have to either do an archive invalidation or a BSA edit. Take your pick. I suggest you backup your oblivion install before you make too many major changes like the QTP.

For those using Quarl's textures, what is the performance hit? Is there a 30% or 40% hit on the fps?

I didnt notice any with my 7950gx2. As long as you've got the VGA memory to handle the extra texture sizes you should be right.

For those using Quarl's textures, what is the performance hit? Is there a 30% or 40% hit on the fps?

yea you really need a 512mb card... with a 256mb card you will just run out of vga memory and it wont me like a % performance hit, just more stuttering. Think of it like when you run out of system memory and you start going into your hard drive instead of your ram

yea you really need a 512mb card... with a 256mb card you will just run out of vga memory and it wont me like a % performance hit, just more stuttering. Think of it like when you run out of system memory and you start going into your hard drive instead of your ram

Exactly. I'm sure I could get smoother gameplay without Qarl's but, for me, image quality in this game far outweighs the occassional "choppiness".

To directly answer your question, was the performance drop %30 to %40?; it was close. I can pull ~30fps @ 1680x1050 2xAA 4xAF. WIth QTP, I could barely manage ~20fps with no AA or AF. Dropping the resolution brought the frames up, but it would still chop in areas like Layawin. For me, the Qarl Textures weren't worth it, even with 512MB graphics memory. In summary, this was my QTP2 experience.

(Just noting, I also use Capt'N'Kill's 4096x4096 LOD textures)

1- Dropping one notch in resolution can still get choppy in some areas, where there was no problem before. I also have to disable AA.
2- Areas like Layawin, which were more prone to chop originally, will chop severely now.
3- When playing, some of qarl's textures are distracting and look horribly out of place.
4- If I'm playing the game to actually have fun playing, I never notice the textures anyhow.
5- Following tweak guide's INI tweaks for oblivion, i regained some performance, but not enough.

In general, I value running oblivion at a higher resolution with AA and HDR. As well, I have found that Bethesda's textures, while substantially lower in resolution, actually blend better than Qarl's textures. (While some do look great. I particularly liked the brick walls in Skingrad)

One thing that bugs me, when qarl shows off screen shots of his newly textured world, you are always looking at a very confined area. When playing oblivion yourself, where you get to look at a larger scene. On that scale, you will see that some of the textures don't feel right. When QTP3 comes out, I'll probably give it a spin. If it exhibits the same problems, I will go back to the bethesda stockers.

This 8800 GTS was totally worth it. It blows away my old 7800 GTX that cost 80% more.

To the people who using lod texture mods, which one is the best? I noticed that there are quite a few of them out there. What is the performance hit when using them too.

To the people who using lod texture mods, which one is the best? I noticed that there are quite a few of them out there. What is the performance hit when using them too.

I think that CaptNKill's 4096x4096 set look the best of them all. I have found that the performance hit with this LOD set to be negligible, as in less than 2 fps difference.

QFT... CaptNKill's LOD mods wtf.. but they don't integrate seemlessly with Qarl's better tiling textures.. oh well.. not too big of a deal.. also, has anyone tried Qarl's new compressed LOD textures with a more 3d look? they might look a little more realistic but apparently use twice as much video memory as the 4096 LOD textures.. I have not tried them but they look nice.

edit: these- http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=2246

Back