Post Your Networkdiagram

Status
Not open for further replies.
get a rack?

I had a few 400SC and they died a death on me (all within a space of about 4 weeks)

I also notice you have neighbors systems on there... are they connected to the network? If so I would advise a Cisco Switch and setup a couple of Vlans

Thanks Jay. I've lost one or two 400SCs due to failing power supplies. A case mod and new powersupply fixes it right up. Everyone I know who got a 400SC had the power supplies fail.

Yes, They connect via wireless. My existing router (DD-WRT) allows me to VLAN some. I may play with it. If it's not going to do what I want, Will a managed netgear switch work? I was looking at one with 24 10/100/1000 ports on it. I am out of ports on my current gigabit switch so I'm already looking.

John

hmm i'm not sure about any other managed switches at all to be honest.. i'm cisco only (cut me open and I would have the word Cisco running through me)

if they where the redundant PSUs then I have lost 4 of them due to a fault in the manufacturing (that dell covered up)

My home network

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/jay_oasis/Network.jpg

things still to come

Slingbox
Day Night Server Room Cam (so all you guys can see a live feed)
Second Internet Connection (BT ADSL Max) for the FTP
New Rack Unit (havent had time to rack the units into the new rack yet)
Some more storage!
New router with VPN (maybe a 3com office connect)

Once its all done i'll post some pics as well.

I never noticed this subforum before :)

fulmer_008_after.jpg

(this is just the fiber backbone to the building I used to manage when I worked at WSU)

what games you going to be playing? The servers seem a little light weight,

I'll be running only one instance of Source Dedicated Server (SRCDS) on the laptop. At my last event (25 seats) I ran 2 instances on my computer- HL2:DM & CS:S and then DOD:S on my laptop and used a borrowed P4 Laptop to run the servers for the tournaments.

Gotta love eBay! And anyone want to play "Guess which movie I was watching when I named each device"?! :D

Click to go huge.

This is my little home network.
i732584_Drawing1.jpg

I wish I had a job so I could buy some good stuff. Well, I still think it's pretty good for just being 16.

This is just a basic layout of my home network

homenetworklayoutjq7.jpg

Made with Microsoft Visio Professional 2007

My network, the power bill is killing me, I almost bought a bladecenter with 5 blades to help but I lost my job and my severence pay is only going to hold me through for another month, and I don't start at my new job for a month--they hold 1st paycheck and it's biweekly pay...so I go a month without $$$$$ :(

Network.png

Vorex,

dude, please learn to how to use visio:rolleyes: While the network looks quite large and nice its pretty much unreadable. If you plan on going/staying in the engineering field than drawings like that are 100% unacceptable. The only person in this entire thread that has nice diagrams is plus, but hes also in the field so go figure.

while we're on topic of me being a prick I should mention that broom42's network has a large gapping hole than a skank from bangbus, if you're still watching please tell me that you noticed already that your backup server is connected to both VLAN's 11 and 1(11 being the VLAN that you don't trust).:eek: Yeah....... enough said.

hahaha, im done being an ass now:) Perhaps ill stop being lazy and whip up one of these diagrams one day

lol, no problem, that diagram sucks I know--I would have used network supervisor because it makes things tidy (and adds the devices automatically) but then i'd have to use some other program to put extra text in where I wanted...I wish I knew were my memory cards were so I can post pictures of my rack..I'm in field but I don't work with technical people so I never have to bother with diagrams, charter schools and private school principals could give a rats ass what your doing as long as it keeps the kiddies away from the pr0n

I'm in field but I don't work with technical people so I never have to bother with diagrams, charter schools and private school principals could give a rats ass what your doing as long as it keeps the kiddies away from the pr0n
Not really a good excuse in my opinion. You want to have a good diagram so that you can easily solve problems without having to figure out what's what and where. Ya know? A proper network diagram can be a pain to make at first, but it will be your best friend later on.

Waste of time, I use 3com stacks day in and day out, they are a snitch to find any problems. I rarely do anything very complex so a diagram is usually not needed.

Vorex..... my eyes!!!!

the best way I find to do Viso diagrams is to have a center line as your main network pipe. On the top of that line are your clients on the bottom are you servers.

anything that connects your clients to the network go above the line anything that connects your server to the network goes below the line.

simple.

CaseyBlackburn,
For only being 16 that is quite a setup. I don't have nearly that much stuff and I am almost 20 :) Do you have pics of this setup?
-Jeff

Figure I'd leave the names in there, otherwise it's too boring. :)

networkmapcj7.png

erm, where do the servers fit into that equation since at the moment they look like they are all behind a 100MBit link - that is one hell of a potential bottleneck considering the rest of your topology

erm, where do the servers fit into that equation since at the moment they look like they are all behind a 100MBit link - that is one hell of a potential bottleneck considering the rest of your topology

Yeah they're running off that 100Mb/s link of the switch. Considering all but one of our school districts have <5Mb/s connection, it's not a problem. The one district that's at 100Mb/s will be forced to use the availaible throughput and not cause a bottleneck for the rest of the county.

robo what are the specs of your server?

are you running phpsysinfo or anything?

running windows server 2003? :eek:

thort of an upgrade any time soon? :cool:

Well here is a rough layout of my home setup.

I can do better, but I wanted to try some new icons and I did it sorta fast :p

The 2 Xboxs with XBMC play media off of the Media Server.
Backup/Media server is a Dual P3 with Server 2000 (I can run 2k3, but the SCSI card is older and the monitor program does not work in 2k3), SCSI and IDE Drives, and Retrospect Backup Software. SCSI are backup drives in Raid 1 (36gb and 9gb Array).

I also tend to add and remove machines a lot, but right now that is the setup :p

ahh yes a cray 2. I have a few of those lying around myself. Perhaps I should get them folding :p

haha i saw one of those in a museum the other day, pretty amazing really.

Thx ring.of.steel

Never heard of someone having one of those Cray pieces before, very interesting :cool:

Did a whole lot of upgrades and replacement this summer. Here's the old network from a year ago for comparison

And here's the new network as of this posting:
DannysNetwork.png

I'm planning to turn my Test server to my print server as soon as I can find the time to. Also, I'm debating or not to upgrade the test server with a better PSU and more hard drives so it can serve as my file server as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back