Post your network with discussion!

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
Well I personally think any thread needs discussion. So lets try to keep this one at top and post our networks and discuss them here.

I will start it off.

So this is a pretty basic setup. A client of ours wanted some redundancy incase server1 fails. So server1 is a Dual Xeon with about 400GB of data handling DHCP, DNS, AD, File, and a program run off desktop sql engine. I just added server2 which is a entry level Dell T105 with a single Opteron 1.8 and 2GB of RAM and Raid1 160GB hard drives. Server2 will be handling secondary DNS, secondary AD, and then file replication with DFS-R.

Not shown is the networking equipment which isn't anything worth picturing (no patch panel), just a 24port dell switch and a buffalo router.

The rack is a startek and it has a 2 port kvm and a nice APC unit.

AMD_Rules pm'd me asking for what the rack was. This thread should have discussion too as its a good resource for people looking to purchase or see similar setups.

The rack is made by a company StarTech

http://www.startech.com/Product/ItemList.aspx?MLID=323&WCLID=511&WCID=253&c=US

I dont think they have the same version but it was around 800-1000 when we got it. Used 2 of them so far pretty good.

edit1 - this is the exact model http://www.startech.com/Product/ItemDetail.aspx?productid=2636CABINET&c=US

reason for this kind of rack was the client wanted dust free as the office is in a big sand lot hehe =)

yea what a lot of forum moderators don't get is when you have a huge forum, full of geeks, you are goign to have a discussion no matter what you do. I'll be posting my network setup here soon.

I guess I'll post it here as well. A quick diagram of my home network.

networktg0.jpg

yeah dood i wanted to ask this before, but whats the point of vlan3?

arent vlan1 and vlan3 connected?

yeah dood i wanted to ask this before, but whats the point of vlan3?

arent vlan1 and vlan3 connected?

versello is correct. VLAN3 is for iSCSI traffic only. The SAN is connected via 4 GigE links. My main workstation has 4 GigE links back as well and the other 2 boxes have a single GigE link each.

May aswell post me new network, give me a few seconds.

I just noitced I forgot to put my Netgear SC101 NAS in there, anyways its hooked into the switch as well.

Cisco 1240AG Access Point
Cisco 1841 ISR - Just got it today not hooked up yet
Cisco 3524 Switch
Dell Poweredge 350

IMG_0239.jpg

Here is my repost here.

This is what it looks like as of today, it's a bit blurry. This is my makeshift "rack" made out of two end tables.

Nice stuff (both posts)
I have never seen an older Dell server like that with the silver faceplate.
Ntba, is that a Avaya cajun switch?

most dells have that faceplate or can get one off ebay. all my 2u 2450s have em =)

Nice setups guys!

man that dell is old huh? wats the specs? what you use it for?
It has a P3 750 I think lol. I use it for FTP, web, and a few other things. I have server 03 running and its working out nicely.

For the older dells you can get the newer silver replacement plates.

That is a Nortel Baystack 450-24T

And while were on the topic of old poweredge servers, my 2450 was too big, too noisy and too cumbersome to be put in my homemade "rack". In fact it's to big and noisy to do anything useful with, anyone want to buy it lol :D

That is a Nortel Baystack 450-24T

And while were on the topic of old poweredge servers, my 2450 was too big, too noisy and too cumbersome to be put in my homemade "rack". In fact it's to big and noisy to do anything useful with, anyone want to buy it lol :D
I bought after market fans for my poweredge 350 and its very quiet.

Oh really? Where at? If you could point me to where, there might just be life left in this old box!

These Delta fans in here are screamers, anything that will cool the sucker down while being quiet would be great.

outbreakm, how do you like the Cisco 1240AG Access Point? Someone was selling one locally for really cheap and I was gonna buy it, but I ended up passing.

outbreakm, how do you like the Cisco 1240AG Access Point? Someone was selling one locally for really cheap and I was gonna buy it, but I ended up passing.
I love it.Never had any issue with it at all.

They are probably cisco's best AP at the moment.

Here is my repost here.

This is what it looks like as of today, it's a bit blurry. This is my makeshift "rack" made out of two end tables.

i got one of those white boxes in the middle with the floppy drive. question what is it?

Anyone got any big home network? Lots of network gear and or servers(virtual as well)? haven't seen much of this around here in a very long time.

How's this? Just got the rack yesterday it's a 42U APC NetShelter. Not done yet, which is why the cables are all a mess and only a few things are on.

Top to bottom is:
24-Port CAT5e patch panel
HP ProCurve 1800-24G
HP ProCurve 2900-24G
HP ProCurve 5406zl (48 10/100/1000 PoE ports and 24 SFP ports)
IPCop Firewall (I'm looking for something new, the top is off so I could pull out the loud fans and put on the big 120)
Custom 12TB iSCSI SAN (Repositorium 1.0 in the Work Log section)
Vritual Server (Dual 3.0GHz Quad-Core with 16GB of memory)

Need to move my Proxim AP-4000 and APC UPS into the rack still.

I thought I would re-post this here with new pics

rackfk3.jpg

switch1na2.jpg

cisco2ys1.jpg

adslfi4.jpg

mplsrouterjy9.jpg

dscf3724od3.jpg

fiberhd2.jpg

1600scey3.jpg

dellszo9.jpg

hpclosecf0.jpg

kvmfq6.jpg

sipxe1.jpg

Compaq 9000 Series 42U rack

Compaq KVM
42 Port Patch Panel
Cisco 2924 XL switch (soon to be replaced with 48 port Cisco)
Fibre Patch Panel
Compaq Fibre Hub
Cisco 1800 Series routers (MPLS)
Fibre to CAT5 media converter (connected to 2Mb/2Mb MPLS backbone)
NAS
Dell PowerEdge 1600SC, Mail Server / SNMP Server (Windows 2003 server)
Dell PowerEdge 1600SC, App server (Windows 2003 server)
Compaq DL360, Squid Proxy, Dansguardian, SARG (Ubuntu Server)
Dell PE1950, Terminal Server (Windows 2008 Server)
Dell PE2950, DC, DHCP, DNS (Windows 2003 Server)
APC Smart UPS 2200

i got one of those white boxes in the middle with the floppy drive. question what is it?

Sun SPARCstation IPX :)

33Mhz Proc
32MB RAM
400MB SCSI HD
Floppy drive
Running OpenBSD/sparc4m

well, im double posting :p Feel free to ask/laugh at/threaten..
From this........
DSC_0189.jpg

To this..
DSC_0179.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_02001.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

LED action
DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0192.jpg

not too bad, with my server,edge switch,edge router, monitor and terminal server turned on.
ESX1.jpg

All my VMs haven't been inventoried yet :D
Yes, I know the rack looks pink.. its red ;) I snagged it from my roomate and plan on painting it sometime .

xphil3, I would just like you to know that I registered to tell you that words cannot describe my envy of that setup.

What're you studying for? I spied those all to familiar Cisco books in the first pic.

CCIE it is.

If you guys really want a setup like this, I would say stay away from real routers. Honestly, they're a hassle to work with when you're studying. Go get yourself a good box(or if you already have one) load up dynamips and create some networks. I can supply you guys with some pretty decent .net files as well. Then go grab yourself 4 multilayer switch(I know, easier said than done :p) and 3 - 4 port NIC cards... You have your CCIE overlay topology built.

Perhpas we should start a thread on dynamips topologies, or network type challenges. That might be pretty cool.

slowbiz - No idea how much it weighs but it is fairly heavy, no need to worry about support when your on the ground level :D.

Back