Post your mining rigs!

Thought I share my rig that I converted from DC to crypto mining last month while the going is still good. I didn't really invested anything much for this setup other than moving existing DC hardware and purchased one gimped VII card very cheap last year. I knew in advance that this gimped VII card had some issues and refuses to run above base clock reliably. Thanks to Priller and motqalden for the crypto inspiration.

Currently doing about 153Mh/s with 395W from the wall. I didn't want to push the other good card too hard (I know it can do close to 100Mh/s each) since I only have 650W PSU to run two Radeon VII. Running quite cool at 825mV GPU voltage and temp around 67°C. I've an overkill xeon E5-2697v3.

View attachment 337438

View attachment 337440
tell me where you live so I can steal that beautiful blue chieftec dragon. :nailbiting:

A little over a year ago I started my first "dedicated" mining rig with one 3080 FTW3 and a couple 3060 Tis, then it held four 3080 FTW3 then things got out of control. A whole 30A outlet upgrade and half the garage is now a dedicated mining room :ROFLMAO:

First_Rig.jpg

The shoe rack was just sitting there unused since I've moved onto frames and metal shelves to hold everything now and oblox was throwing around veruscoin posts and I looked into it, loved what I saw and the shoe rack turned into a 230MH/s @ 330watt at the wall of ARM-goodness abomination lol. Absolutely smokes the Ryzens for MH/watt.

20220127_191214_HDR.jpg

20220127_191427_HDR.jpg

20220127_191636_HDR.jpg

20220127_191529_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
A little over a year ago I started my first "dedicated" mining rig with one 3080 FTW3 and a couple 3060 Tis, then it held four 3080 FTW3 then things got out of control. A whole 30A outlet upgrade and half the garage is now a dedicated mining room :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 437609

The shoe rack was just sitting there unused since I've moved onto frames and metal shelves to hold everything now and oblox was throwing around veruscoin posts and I looked into it, loved what I saw and the shoe rack turned into a 230MH/s @ 330watt at the wall of ARM-goodness abomination lol. Absolutely smokes the Ryzens for MH/watt.

View attachment 437614
View attachment 437615
View attachment 437616
View attachment 437617
Makes me want to plug in another phi rig or ten. But at 250w each (40mh/s) its alittle bit more prohibitive to scale them.

I feel that. Last year my panel was maxed, dryer outlet running a 30A PDU, and the rigs were air-drying my clothes. Not this summer.. Downsized and moved everything left into filtered server cases. Moving cross country soon, and didn't want anything to do with moving a couple dozen fragile open-frame rigs. This setup, I roll into a trailer and it's done. The footprint is incredible as well. Tucked away in the corner of the shop.

View attachment 437629View attachment 437630
So clean and beautiful, someday but I am stuck on open air frames for now haha.

These posts bring back memories. I remember my first rig was 6 LP Nvidia cards, an ASRock board and a cheap PVC pipe open air case. That was fun times.

View attachment 437609

View attachment 437614
View attachment 437615
View attachment 437616
View attachment 437617
What's that crazy MEGA USB power supply? Never seen anything like that before.

View attachment 437609

View attachment 437614
View attachment 437615
View attachment 437616
View attachment 437617
That’s wild. I didn’t even know phone mining was thing.

What kind of profit are you seeing on that?

That’s wild. I didn’t even know phone mining was thing.

What kind of profit are you seeing on that?

It's just under $50 a month after my electricity rates (California electric rates..) otherwise it would be $80+ if you have cheap electric. ROI is about 4 years but that's with the coin sitting at 52 cents.

Calculator: https://minerstat.com/coin/VRSC

I feel that. Last year my panel was maxed, dryer outlet running a 30A PDU, and the rigs were air-drying my clothes. Not this summer.. Downsized and moved everything left into filtered server cases. Moving cross country soon, and didn't want anything to do with moving a couple dozen fragile open-frame rigs. This setup, I roll into a trailer and it's done. The footprint is incredible as well. Tucked away in the corner of the shop.

View attachment 437629View attachment 437630

Nice, this is pretty much what I'm hoping to do. I still need to collect a few more cases and then figure out how to move a server rack by myself across the yard and into the basement. Those grey matter cases are pretty easy to handle though. Those black cases are rosewill ones, right? I had a few of those shipped across the country with everything installed as-is and it all survived fine (minus a random molex cable that came out of the socket, shorted, and melted on startup). Not sure how well the grey matter cases would do. The GPUs screw in fine but it seems like due to the soft material the cases are made out of you could strip the holes pretty easily.

For now I've temporarily done a ghetto version of this diagram with a DIY curtain system. The hot air is contained in the center and exhausted outside through a window. The cool air is pumped in (from outside currently) and gets sucked through the GPUs. Setups like this should reduce your cooling bill since you're not sucking out cold air mixed with hot air, and that should hopefully offset the extra power used by the fans. I want to move everything into a shed at some point, but for an indoor setup this works pretty well (about 60 GPUs at 10kW in my basement room, 1200CFM intake and exhaust fans are just barely enough right now with outside temps of around 40-60F to keep things 80F or below in the room).

Attachments

• 7czh1Dq.jpeg
    7czh1Dq.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 0
Theyre rosewill rsv-L4500's, yes. Im not a fan of them, they're 2-3" shorter than the grey matters which is a ton of room inside an already cramped case. I modded one as a test with 3d printed fan brackets for a 6 gpu case (the orignal fans mount to the hard drive cages you remove). It was a lot of work only to realize my bigger gpu's don't even fit the case. They're fine for smaller, 6 or 7 gpu setups, but highly reccomend a case like the grey matters. Yeah the grey matters are made from chinesium, but the design is really well done. Ive had to drill and tap them when they strip out, or just run a self-tapper through the original hole.
Ah, I thought they were a different model then. I bought some Monoprice 4U cases that look similar to your L4500's and agree, I wish I had spent an extra $100-200 per case for something purpose-built. Rosewill or monoprice do make a better GPU specific cases but they were $400-500 last I checked. Still, if you can get those they're almost as good as the graymatter cases in terms of design (https://us.amazon.com/Rosewill-Rackmount-Solution-Building-Ethereum/dp/B074W6T178). I got two delivered used and this is basically the exact setup I have in one of them. I have one with 1070s like in the pic and another with a mixture of blower models and both work well. Unfortunately the fans are weak so I don't think they'd work well for higher powered GPUs without upgrades. They're built better than the graymatter cases but the risers aren't bolted down and adding a second PSU isn't plug-n-play.

I ended up just turning my crappy monoprice cases into CPU mining rigs with dual epyc systems. I'll probably add 2-3 GPUs apiece later on. You can mod them to work more like a GPU case but it's a pain and wasn't worth the time to me.

Attachments

• gpu case.jpg
    gpu case.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 0
The rosewill's are all the same case exterior, they just change up the internal brackets. Ive worked with the mining specific ones before and they're still ~2-3" shorter than the grey matters, you can see in that pic the dinky little 1060's are only a couple inches away from hitting the PSU. It leaves almost zero room for cable management and heavily restricts airflow. And yeah the stock 120mm fans are hilariously weak, I have 1.6A delta's running via PWM around 50-70%.

It's even worse now btw, rosewill changed their fan brackets and you can't just drill some holes and move the mid-plate bracket to the front anymore like that video (why I had to design and print my own brackets).

View attachment 437810

Fwiw though, they're really great heavy duty cases for their intended design, and I swear they weigh 10 pounds more than the grey matters. I kept a couple for mining, but the other ones are being repurposed for their intended use, as file servers.

Huh, I just saw an ebay listing for those brackets and was wondering what the big deal was. I see what you're saying now about the length. With blower cards it can work but the cabling is a nightmare and it's not like you'll be able to run two cheap PSUs or a ATX + server PSU combo like with the graymatter case. To top things off, this initially came with everything on sata risers so adding pcie cables to the risers made things even worse.

Attachments

• 7 gpu rig.png
    7 gpu rig.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 7 gpu disassembled partially.png
    7 gpu disassembled partially.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
Back