Post Your Mac Setup!

Just moved into a new apartment. Here's my setup so far.

4n8qZ.jpg

m6958.jpg

Pulled apart my Jerker today and set this up:
thyt8h.jpg

7DkmMh.jpg

sFb57h.jpg

It's mainly an Android development setup. Im curious if swapping to an SSD will really make that big of a difference...

Pulled apart my Jerker today and set this up:
It's mainly an Android development setup. Im curious if swapping to an SSD will really make that big of a difference...

I put a 128 Gb OCZ SSD in my 2011 Mac Mini, and it made a BIG difference. Apps load fast fast fast.

You won't regret it...

Here is a photo of my devices on the desk at home. Sorry for the crappy quality, it is difficult to shoot in a dark room with a cell phone camera combined with that there are monitors in the photo. :( The smaller picture is a link to the original file.

Windi, nice setup. Curious about your backlit keyboard....who makes a Mac compatible backlit keyboard? Thanks for sharing

Windi, nice setup. Curious about your backlit keyboard....who makes a Mac compatible backlit keyboard? Thanks for sharing

Well, most USB keyboards work with Macs even if they're not designed for it. OS X asks what type of keyboard it is when plugging in and decides the key mapping to use, which is usually only the Windows and Alt key reversed. Media keys work as they are and optical eject button is missing and appears in the top menu bar for mouse. This is no different, it is actually a mechanical gaming keyboard.

It is Q-PAD MK-85 which I like for the speedy precise typing feeling and click sounds because of Cherry MX keys. It also has two USB 2.0 ports like apple keyboards do. I have an older model Apple keyboard (white keys, transparent case) but it was bad for my typing angle, the keys wouldn't go down sometimes. The new flat one was nice when I had one borrowed for few days. The backlit keys are nicer then usual because each key cap has its own LED under it, so each key is as bright as the other. I don't need the light but it looks nice sometimes and the brightness has 4 levels.

The keyboard came with four plain orange caps and a tool to change them to replace any key. Could be used to get rid of those Windows logos on two keys. ;)

I have a MP under the desk hooked up the HP LP3065.

Bought a mStand for the MBP but the cheap Lenovo stand I got works surprisingly well. Probably could have saved the $30.

Sold a PC, bought a monitor. Might be replacing my Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro with one of those new 15" MacBook Pro Retinas soonish. Until then, I'm powering 2560x1440 off a measly Intel HD Graphics 3000.

IMG_1678.jpg

Setup for the past 1+ year
974e1dc6.jpg

Bought 2 24" monitors and waiting for Mac mini to comeback from repair.
dcb1d440.jpg

Current setup I'm using to post this
d0bd8d26.jpg

Works surpisingly well!

Sold a PC, bought a monitor. Might be replacing my Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro with one of those new 15" MacBook Pro Retinas soonish. Until then, I'm powering 2560x1440 off a measly Intel HD Graphics 3000.

Do you find it powerful enough for desktop usage? I have a 2011 MacBook Pro that I want to use at that resolution as well, but was worried it will just not keep up.

Was hoping to see some new setups with the Macbook Pro Retina... deeply disappointed in this thread :D

Do you find it powerful enough for desktop usage? I have a 2011 MacBook Pro that I want to use at that resolution as well, but was worried it will just not keep up.

For standard applications (i.e. not 3D gaming) I can't imagine it not being fine.

I run 2x 1680x1050 on an HD3000 (2011 Mac Mini server on dual monitors) and it runs just fine. Sometimes I have hooked it up to my TV so it is then doing 1x 1920x1080 and 1x 1680x1050. Again no probs.

Honestly, it worked just fine. I could play 1080p .m4v without any trouble.

Was hoping to see some new setups with the Macbook Pro Retina... deeply disappointed in this thread :D
We aim to please.
IMG_1693.jpg

For standard applications (i.e. not 3D gaming) I can't imagine it not being fine.

I run 2x 1680x1050 on an HD3000 (2011 Mac Mini server on dual monitors) and it runs just fine. Sometimes I have hooked it up to my TV so it is then doing 1x 1920x1080 and 1x 1680x1050. Again no probs.

Thanks and Rep, can't wait to get the 1440p monitor next week and see how OSX looks on it. Appreciate the response.

I've got a similar setup, an Early 2011 13" MBP with Intel 3000 which runs a 30" 2560x1600 monitor. It works really quite well, everything is smooth including scrolling and videos. Even my older Late 2008 MacBook (Core 2 Duo/Nvidia 9400M) ran at this resolution okay, although its fan came on often and scrolling was not as smooth.

Ahh, nice rMBP, I'm jealous. I don't think I can upgrade this soon, although the rMBP is one hell of a sexy machine. I will no doubt be getting it eventually (maybe I'll be able to hold off until the next gen version).

Ahh, nice rMBP, I'm jealous. I don't think I can upgrade this soon, although the rMBP is one hell of a sexy machine. I will no doubt be getting it eventually (maybe I'll be able to hold off until the next gen version).

I got the rMBP because I never had a mac before. Anand has mentioned on his review that if you have a 2010/2011 mbp, there's no rush getting one.

As someone with a mid 2010 MBP I would contest that comment. I have an i7 dual core with 8gigs of ram (maxed it aftermarket). If i were to kit out the new rMBP right now it would be a substantially more powerful machine than the 2010.

I got the rMBP because I never had a mac before. Anand has mentioned on his review that if you have a 2010/2011 mbp, there's no rush getting one.

I intentionally avoid display model MacBook Pros as I don't want to be confronted with the fact that my '08 is now laughably outgunned.

Some of these iMac setups are making me consider parting my desktop for the updated 27" whenever it comes out. It would make for a clean looking desk instead of having the TJ07 on it as well.

Back