Post Your Mac Setup!

Just got my new Macbook Air (1.8 GHz/SSD) about 3 hours ago... using it to type this!

Loving it!

Other then that, I have the USB ethernet adapter.

Nothing else too exciting.

Just got my new Macbook Air (1.8 GHz/SSD) about 3 hours ago... using it to type this!

Loving it!

This post means nothing without pics!!

Loving it!

Okay...you obviously had enough money to buy the laptop, think you can scrounge up some change for a camera and post some pictures? ;)

Those are the Swan m10 speakers. I have them as well (along with the multi thousand dollar headphone rig in my signature).

I know good sound and you know what, for the price, these cannot be beat.

I already have an ultra-high end headphone rig for when I want to listen critically. When I want to use speakers, I chose the swan m10.

They are $99 and blow away anything by klipsch/logitech/creative/jbl in that price segment. In fact, I prefer these to the $500 paradigm mini monitors.

Technically, it is a subwoofer. There IS an internal crossover, around 100hz. It sounds like a 12db/octave crossover to my ears.

All that those specs mean is that the sub's driver is capable of playing that high; not that it actuall does (it doesn't). This is easily tested by unplugging the speakers and playing test tones at specific frequencies, which I have done.

HOWEVER, the placement that ghostchild has is CORRECT. While the sub doesn't play past 100hz much, anything above 70-80hz is directional, which means the system sounds best when the subwoofer is placed directly in front of the user. The system isn't meant to play loud; it's meant to play accurately. The subwoofer isn't a subwoofer in the traditional sense of a big box that gets thrown in the corner and blows the roof off. Think of it as just reinforcing the lower octaves. If you don't have the subwoofer on the desk, it sounds like crap.

Looks like its impractical for that kind of setup regardless of how its justified.

Loving it!

The apple store told me they were not yet shipping the model with SSD and they had the only ones for display.
The girl at the Best Buy apple booth confirmed this and told me not even they can get their hands on one for a demo unit.

The apple store told me they were not yet shipping the model with SSD and they had the only ones for display.
The girl at the Best Buy apple booth confirmed this and told me not even they can get their hands on one for a demo unit.

different stores = different stock levels. If you've got a free minute, call one of the San Francisco Bay Area stores and see if they're available for purchase ;)

IMG_0165.JPG

Just got the mouse. Not sure how I feel about it.

I don't know how I would feel about a homosexual mouse either.

I hated my mighty mouse, offed it to my sister for 30$.

Just use the trackpad now, my laptop is meant for portability, so I prefer to carry as little with it as possible. MacBook, iPhone, car keys, good to go.

I hated my mighty mouse, offed it to my sister for 30$.

Just use the trackpad now, my laptop is meant for portability, so I prefer to carry as little with it as possible. MacBook, iPhone, car keys, good to go.

I hated it so much I returned it and got a microsoft mouse.

I hated my MS mouse on the mac, but I just got a Logitech nano, it's perfect, and staples has them for about $25 less than anyone else right now.

I did get it at an Apple Store. Got at the Chandler, Arizona - Chandler Fashion Square mall store.

I called them on Sunday morning (I have been calling both my local stores every couple days for the last 2 weeks) and one of the store guys said he would go check. They had one with the 1.8/SSD and I put in on hold with my Amex card. Got there a couple hours later and picked it up.

Yes it is/was expensive, but I use my laptops a lot. This is officially the most I have ever spent at one time on a single PC or laptop and I am still trying to decide if my purchase was justified... but it is just way cool.

Very speedy feeling, the apps just pop open. No noise at all except when the fan spins up during heavy load (which is rare - only a couple times since I got it during program installs). Even then, the fan really isn't too annoying especially when compared to my old Dell D410 and 430 ultra portables.

The illuminated keyboard is way cool (reminds me of my Logitech G15 on my desktop) and really helps like now when I am typing in a very dimly lit room.

For battery time, I am getting over four hours doing general stuff - writing in Word2008 and surfing the web.

The gestures on the touchpad are pretty cool. I truly love zooming in on web pages.

I will try to post pics tomorrow. I do not have access to a digital camera at the moment other then the one built into the laptop and that wont work... Hmmm... maybe in the mirror.

Again still loving it!

Edit: OK, I added a pic - sort of. How can I add it so that it is large in the post and not a link to a hosting site? I am a noob at putting pics in forum posts :)

I hated my bluetooth mouse so much I took the microsoft one back as well. Anyone got any recommendations?

Awesome setup! How do you like that keyboard? I've been on the edge of getting one.

Its nice but a little small if you have normal sized hands :p

If you're used to typing a laptop, then its fine, but its not quite up to the wired version in my opinion.

Its gorgeous to look at though.

Clean and pristine:
2253734776_8cdf5850e0.jpg

How the dual screen magic works:
2256592877_337690f674.jpg

Gettin' used:
2257393392_4ceeb2374d.jpg

Could you run me through how you have the connections setup? I have two fpw's at home that I am bringing down this weekend and would like to do the same thing with my macbook pro.

Thanks.

Still controversial but oh well... Cleaned up the wiring and testing new camera flash... waiting for that new shiny desk..

2261847192_e12f86fb2c.jpg

2261050621_84883358ac.jpg

Still controversial but oh well... Cleaned up the wiring and testing new camera flash... waiting for that new shiny desk..
*snip*

I know we've asked a bunch about that setup blah blah complained blah blah...

but is it possible to put the LCD on top of that center box and put the LCD at it's lowest height setting? Or would that shake the screen or hurt the sound from the center box? Actual question, because that's what I'd do, and I'm sure you've thought of it, but is one of those things a reason you can't do that?

The height is fixed on that monitor thats the reason why I can't put it on top, And if I did that I would have to arch my neck up to view the monitor. I got permission to wall mount it so I'll have more room and I'm getting a new desk very soon.

The height is fixed on that monitor thats the reason why I can't put it on top, And if I did that I would have to arch my neck up to view the monitor. I got permission to wall mount it so I'll have more room and I'm getting a new desk very soon.

Oh, didn't know the LCD was fixed height, lame. Yay wall mount though!

Is your neck bad or something? or you can't raise a chair? Iunno, I wish my LCD were taller.

Well already got the wall mount for cheap like 10$ so yea, the wall's going to get pwned this weekend....

IMG_0385.jpg

Simple setup. I use my MacBook connected to my monitor most of the time, and I have my entire iTunes library on an external NAS device, so I can listen to music/watch movies anywhere I can access my wireless network.

I'm hoping to pick up a pair of these to complement it, since using my IEMs don't seem practical.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Simple setup. I use my MacBook connected to my monitor most of the time, and I have my entire iTunes library on an external NAS device, so I can listen to music/watch movies anywhere I can access my wireless network.

I'm hoping to pick up a pair of these to complement it, since using my IEMs don't seem practical.
Nice the Insignias, any sub? Get these or the 500's instead if you are serious about being an audiophile ;)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice the Insignias, any sub? Get these or the 500's instead if you are serious about being an audiophile ;)
I used to have a pair of ATH-A900s, but I sold them off. I was looking at the ATH-ESW9s, but they're a *bit* too expensive for my budget. The ES7s are cheap and much more portable that the A900 or A700.

I'm not using a sub because I've never felt the need to. I'd definitely consider getting one in the future though.

Back