Post your Linux Programs

Running Nvidia hardware with the propitiatory drivers you can overclock from within the Nvidia X Server Settings Panel by changing a line in the config file, you can also manually set fan speeds.

Talking about awesome software under Linux, to anyone out there that uses Google play Music, this Google Play Music Player application is a must, damn it's good!

Google Play Music Desktop Player

s5kNK4c.png

If you want to do vector graphics (like Illustrator) use Inkscape

Document processor Lyx

Create videos for youtube, etc. OneShot Video Editor

Create slide shows PhotoFilmStrip

Usenet newsreader XPN

Spectrum analyzer Spek

Audio capture QArecord

Python shell IDLE

Password manager KeePass2

Typing tutor Klavaro

Video downloader NomNom

Running Nvidia hardware with the propitiatory drivers you can overclock from within the Nvidia X Server Settings Panel by changing a line in the config file, you can also manually set fan speeds.

Talking about awesome software under Linux, to anyone out there that uses Google play Music, this Google Play Music Player application is a must, damn it's good!

Google Play Music Desktop Player

s5kNK4c.png
But Google is evil. You get free stuff in trade of your soul. Google is the devil if there ever was one.

Dirvish - automated incremental rsync backup - not for faint-hearted from initial configuration standpoint, but set-and-forget

But Google is evil. You get free stuff in trade of your soul. Google is the devil if there ever was one.

My whole business is hosted with Google's services and things actually run really well.

Honestly, I feel Apple is worse. At least Google has AOSP versions of their operating systems.

My Linux programs? Well, the only Linux programs I've written are basic terminal applications like calculators and stuff. Nothing that anyone would actually want to use. On Linux, I mostly use other people's programs. ;)

Window managers:

Jwm - Joe's Window Manager. Easy to configure with a simple config file.
Mwm - Motif Window Manager. Lightweight, easy to configure, fun because it looks like Windows 3.11 sans Program Manager.
IceWM - A little more fully featured and included on more distributions than the others, can be configured to look a lot like Windows 95.
Fvwm95 - Looks like Windows 95.
KDE5 - Because KDE5 > Gnome3. Looks sort of like a cross between Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Browsers:

Google Chrome - I really hope you know what this is.
Konqueror - One of the best Linux browsers in years past. Because after the Navigator and the Explorer, comes the...
Lynx - When you don't have access to a GUI, but you still want to use the Internet.
Mozilla Firefox - Also hope you know what this is.

Text Editors:

Vim - An old standby, very efficient for terminal sessions.
Nano - Easier than Vim in certain situations with slightly broken console/terminal implementations, used it before I mastered Vim.
Nedit - A good GUI text editor aside from GVIM.

Games:

LBreakout - A breakout clone.
AisleRiot - Solitaire
Steam - Tons of Linux games that have been ported from Windows.

Audio:
mpg123 - When you want to listen to your MP3s at the terminal while fixing X11.
playmidi - It plays MIDI files from the terminal. Shocking, right?
Audacious - About 20 times better than Rhythmbox, which has the most hideous interface I've ever seen. Seriously, I uninstall Rhythmbox everytime I do a new Linux install because some moron decided it would be a good default. Ugh. It's worse than Groove in Windows 10. I always seem to have to change the default application no matter what OS I use.

Cool thread. I run debian stable with i3 window manager, but install it from the minimal iso. This means alot of install packages, so I keep a running list of what I install. I keep meaning to organize it with app title/package name, fyi. Any questions just ask

• Xorg
  • i3 window manager
  • Sudo/ Gksu
  • alsa-base alsa-utils
  • rxvt-unicode
  • Htop
  • localpurge
  • ntpdate
  • cron-apt
  • Feh
  • git
  • geany/vim
  • pcmanfm
  • GPicView/evince (pdf)
  • clipit
  • vlc
  • scrot
  • libreoffice-writer/calc
  • virtualbox
  • deluge/ transmission
  • irssi
  • Icedove/ iceweasel
  • Gimp
  • Midnight Commander
  • Bleachbit
  • Gdebi
  • Teamviewer
  • network-manager-gnome (nm-applet)
  • gnome-nettool
  • gnome-disk-utility
  • lxapperence
  • geeknote
  • fileroller
  • xfburn

My whole business is hosted with Google's services and things actually run really well.

Honestly, I feel Apple is worse. At least Google has AOSP versions of their operating systems.
It's a Faustian bargain. Paid services are cool, the free stuff is not when it's based on spying and profiling for profit.

I've found an awesome little piece of software that plays ambient noise in the background on your PC while you're working, scenarios like Forest, Restaurant, Fire, etc are all available.

I use it all the time when working from home as I find music can be a little too distracting. It's called Anoise, download link below:

Ambient Noise for Ubuntu | Home

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned a program for pdf creation/editing. I've started using Master PDF Editor.
While I do not need to do very much PDF creation/editing, whenever I do I use Inkscape. It can mess the fonts up a bit and can not handle exporting multiple pages (to my knowledge). However, it can import/export PDFs and has been an easy way for me to add nicely printed text to documents. It is also a good tool for making something more printer friendly (e.g. deleting irrelevant material to save on paper).

Plus, as the Wikipedia article says "Inkscape is packaged for all major Linux distributions (including Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE)." It was certainly easy to install for me on Arch Linux.

Anyone with a MIDI keyboard, MIDI adapter (most likely USB), and a desire to improve their ability to play the Piano, should look into PianoBooster. It is an excellent way to play along with a MIDI file, as it will give you live feedback on your accuracy. If you can find MIDI files of your favourite songs, then you can play as any instrument within.

This program makes me more personally invested in learning to play the piano; as I can find MIDI files of the songs I care about more easily than actual sheet music. Also, all of the other instruments you normally hear with the song will be playing with you. As if a band were helping you learn.

If you are just beginning, then I recommend selecting whichever track represents the lyrics. Humans are only capable of producing one note at a time, thus this track will usually be the most simple. If this is still too difficult, then the speed can be set as low as 20%.

Note: PianoBooster requires a MIDI output device to actually produce sounds. To do this in software, I recommend Qsynth (a Fluidsynth GUI).

Last edited:
For anyone that likes running bleeding edge kernels under Ubuntu, I found a great little utility called UKUU (Ubuntu Kernel Update Utility) that makes updating the kernel quick and easy via the GUI. It even updates GRUB at the same time and warns you in relation to what kernels may be unstable.

Read about it here with links in article:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/ukuu-easy-way-to-install-mainline-kernel-ubuntu

So, here's one I use quite a bit. If, like me, you nejoy watching Twitch broadcasts, but wish that you didn't need to keep a browser window open taking up unnecessary screen space, then boy do I have the app for you! Let me introduce Gnome Twitch. It does exactly what you think it would do, and it does it well. Currently, the version in the Ubuntu and Mint repositories is a bit behind, but there is a flatpak version that is up to date. If you are on Arch, then you can just get the latest from the AUR.

GNOME Twitch

rG89T2K.png

YHn5Pl4.png

So, here's one I use quite a bit. If, like me, you nejoy watching Twitch broadcasts, but wish that you didn't need to keep a browser window open taking up unnecessary screen space, then boy do I have the app for you! Let me introduce Gnome Twitch. It does exactly what you think it would do, and it does it well. Currently, the version in the Ubuntu and Mint repositories is a bit behind, but there is a flatpak version that is up to date. If you are on Arch, then you can just get the latest from the AUR.

GNOME Twitch

rG89T2K.png

YHn5Pl4.png

Your Gnome's lookin' good there Lunar! Interesting bit of software, must take a look.

I have found a couple programs recently that filled needs I have had for a while.

Stacer: https://itsfoss.com/optimize-ubuntu-stacer/
It is a program that shows CPU usage, RAM usage, disk space and can act like CCleaner cleaning up junk files. I like it because it gives an overall CPU usage rather than showing each core usage. I like to have it next to System Monitor which does the per core usage to compare.

RadeonTop: https://github.com/clbr/radeontop

RadeonTop replaces MSI Afterburner for me as a program that can monitor GPU usage and VRAM usage. It can be found in the Ubuntu and Linux Mint software managers or can be downloaded from Github. It only works with AMD GPUs but that's what I use.

Last edited:
So, a little bit of an update on the Gnome Twitch app. An update to gstreamer introduced a regression that breaks streaming in the app using the gstreamer players. Thankfully, there is an mpv based player, but depending on your package manager it may or may not be installed by default. I had to manually install it on Manjaro. Also, I don't know how much this will impact non-rolling releases, but as I'm not running a point release based distro currently I can't really check.

Could anyone recommend cloning software that can be run from a disc or be run from a LInux OS that has a GUI and is able to go from a larger drive to a smaller HDD ? I mainly clone HDD's to SSDs and use EaseUS TodoBackup but am looking for a replacement. Sometimes I find that if I shrink the partition of the HDD to be smaller than the SSD Clonezilla willa ctually clone it but it's hit and miss.

Could anyone recommend cloning software that can be run from a disc or be run from a LInux OS that has a GUI and is able to go from a larger drive to a smaller HDD ? I mainly clone HDD's to SSDs and use EaseUS TodoBackup but am looking for a replacement. Sometimes I find that if I shrink the partition of the HDD to be smaller than the SSD Clonezilla willa ctually clone it but it's hit and miss.

I wish I could help, I'm still using EaseUS myself....

I don't know whether it's been mentioned previously, but if you're looking at reinstalling your OS and don't want to download and reinstall all of your applications all over again than Aptik may be the package for you. Allowing you to backup and restore all of your favourite PPA's, software applications as well as themes and icons. Very handy for when LTS runs out and an upgrade is on the cards.

https://www.tecmint.com/aptik-a-tool-to-backuprestore-your-favourite-ppas-and-apps-in-ubuntu/

4In4Slzl.png

I don't know whether it's been mentioned previously, but if you're looking at reinstalling your OS and don't want to download and reinstall all of your applications all over again than Aptik may be the package for you. Allowing you to backup and restore all of your favourite PPA's, software applications as well as themes and icons. Very handy for when LTS runs out and an upgrade is on the cards.

https://www.tecmint.com/aptik-a-tool-to-backuprestore-your-favourite-ppas-and-apps-in-ubuntu/
What an awesome application! I would've killed for this when I was still running Ubuntu based distros.

Please recommend some image/picture viewers that are fast, especially when browsing photos in a windows share. They need to open raw files too, like .pef and .orf. Preferred win image viewers are Irfanview and FSViewer.
Distro used is MX-Linux.

edit: Found one: Geeqie

Last edited:
I just learned about inotifywait.
I wanted to get a list of what file(s) a program stored configuration in (or otherwise modified) when it saved changes. I was able to watch in real time by navigating to above the suspected path and using the -r and -m flags.

Does anyone use Synapse? This handy utility is bundled with Ubuntu MATE but is available for any *buntu based OS from the following PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~synapse-core/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

This is such a handy little utility, kind of similar to spotlight search under OSX. You can search for everything from Actions through to audio, applications, pictures, files, right through to internet searches and you can bind it's operation to one key and have it open wherever the mouse pointer is located.

Totally recommended:

igBNTWZh.png

Arc Menu is a relatively new extension that I stumbled upon for Gnome 3. It isn't as customizable as Gno-menu, but it's simpler with less fluff, which means I personally like it more. If you want an application menu without a whole lot of extra fluff, I highly recommend this one.
9kcM2Nm.png

It's a simple menu, but not too simple - I like it.
Exactly, I've found that all of the menus before this one came around were either too bloated with crap, or too simple. This one is just about perfect. Also, I'm definitely going to be taking a look at CPU-X.

As a retro computing enthusiast trackers really appeal to me, there's nothing better than a good chip tune!

Not too sure how many people would be interested, but Milkytracker is downright awesome, 24 channels of goodness as opposed to the 4 channels under Protracker on my Commodore Amiga. Having said that, the Amiga's 4 channels are all hardware.

http://milkytracker.titandemo.org/downloads/

Last edited:
One thing I had been missing about Linux Mint vs Solus was the built in ability to have my backgrounds auto change every few minutes. So finally I went looking for a program to do that and after a few minutes found Variety:
http://peterlevi.com/variety/
So far it's done what I want. Even has the ability to auto download backgrounds from various websites and services but I won't be using that.

One thing I had been missing about Linux Mint vs Solus was the built in ability to have my backgrounds auto change every few minutes. So finally I went looking for a program to do that and after a few minutes found Variety:
So far it's done what I want. Even has the ability to auto download backgrounds from various websites and services but I won't be using that.
Variety is great. I like the quotes function, too. I use it with Ubuntu Mate.

Installed Variety and it seems that it cycles through my wallpaper folder and then just stops dead. When the system reboots it's displaying the default background and says there are no more images. I can find no way to alter this behavior.

Back