• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

*POST* your i7 setup specks

Renner Technology

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 16, 2008
Messages
118


Thought it would be helpful for people to list
what their choice was for their i7 setup's.



If you would please, list your choice
and settings for the fallowing items:


-----------------
CPU:
MB:
RAM:


-----------------
Your OC settings,
cooling,
temps

-----------------
Why you chose the setup you did
(why you liked your mb and etc)
 
i7 920
Gigabyte UD5 (Changed from MSI Platinum)
3gb DDR 3 1600mhz Corsair XMS3

Cooling: Stock, need TRUE 1366 mount kit

Total: ~800

Chose for cost reasons. Also x58 shouldnt be as reliant on mobo for oc, and x58SO intel boards can get i920 to 3.8 so i figured the platinum would do the job. I'm hoping for at least 3.6.

EDIT: Ok, all set up. First motherboard was fucked with bent pins in socket. So running Gigabyte ud5, i7 920, xms3 @ 3.2ghz, bclck @ 165mhz. I have a TRUE sitting in wait, and will push this config up to ~ 180bclk on stock before I quit. I may not even put the TRUE on yet, its so freaking fast as is. I'm coming from a 2.5ghz a64 single core, and its like this is on slicks. Almost too speedy. Running xp media center 2005, installing vista x64 home premium soon.

Gotta run to school now, no time to mess with overclocking more. Running a gtx 260 192 core as well, stable @ 700/1510/1300 so far. That gives me roughly 147GB/sec. Holy fuckin shit.
All in all this cost me nothing. That's called smart trading. My little ebay business covered this all in full. Not bad for a 22 year old student.

Gonna try Warhead first.

Too bad I haven't got sound installed yet. Can't wait. I have a xi-fi and a CSW 5.1 system (Model 6 bookshelves BassCube10, Center, Yamaha floorstanding rears, onkyo 5.1 dts/dd receiver).
 
not to be an ass or etc, but please... post everything that you can. I really would like to build this
into a really good reference for people to get some great info and figure out whats best 4 them.
 
i7 920 (OMFGBBQFTW!1!!)
12GB G.SKILL DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) (I need 8GB for software Dev, and want to use Tri-Channel, so 12GB... lol... 1.65V DDR3 1600 is still too pricey for my blood)
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Replacing GA-EP45-DQ6 w/ Q6600)

I will have the above in my hot little hands within a week or so.
Hardware that will migrate.

XFX 280GTX @ 720/1305
iStarUSA TC1200PD1 1200W PSU
Antec 900
Drives etc.

I will post clocks, pics, specs etc. when it is built.
 
just purchased today, should get it friday or monday

CPU: i7 920
MB: Asus P6T
RAM: Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1333C9 6GB DDR3
GPU: visiontek 4870x2

this is QUITE an upgrade from the rig in my signiture :D
 
Currently in my box:

-----------------
CPU: i7 920
MB: Asus P6T Deluxe
RAM: G.Skill 6GB DDR3 1600
GPU: Dual GTX280's in SLI

-----------------
Your OC settings, 3.4ghz (170x20 w/1.25 volts)
cooling: Stock tonight, tomorrow will be my TRUE 120 w/1366 adapter
temps: Idle 39c all cores and gaming 49c, prime 95 90C (HOT HOT HOT!!!)
 
What's your OC? stock? temps?

noobie can't read = FTL

Umm lol, I've been on these boards for ~ 10 years.

OC hasnt happened yet, havent set this up yet. I'll edit this when its ready.
 
Great thread to start up! I plan on ordering my parts once my cc rolls over for the month on Dec 2nd. Will def post once I order.
 
i7 920
Asus P6T deluxe
2x2GB PC1333/9/1.5v
BFG GTX280OCE
VRaptor 150
WD7500AAKS
enermax modu82+ 625W
CM 590
Dell 2408WFP + noname 22"
G15 v1/G5/

OC goal is 3.33Ghz on stock cooling and volts, 4.0Ghz on water.

Future upgrades will be water cooling, a second GTX280, and a 1TB+ secondary drive so the 750 can get back to the fileserver.

EDIT: Now with a thread! http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1371968
 
Antec 1200 Case
Corsair TX-750W PSU
LG DVD Burner
640 GB Western Digital HDD
Core i7 920 CPU
ASUS P6T Deluxe MOBO
3X2GB G.Skill 1600 RAM
HD 4870 512 MB
 
can I overclock with my RAM?, I was a bit bummed on the ram prices and couldnt afford the real good stuff and I havent seena guide yet, my OC skillz with x58 are weak
 
CPU: i7 965

MB: Asus Rampage II Extreme

RAM: Undecided but 6GB in TRIchannel is the only way for me, choosing between Corsair Corsair TWIN3X 1600MHz CL8, perhaps 1866 if they are out in time for ordering, Mushkin 1600MHz 7-8-7-20 or my current one if they do 8-8-8-24 1600Mhz@1.65V in the test i gonna do(they did fail that :( ).

GPU: EVGA GTX280SC@774/1569/2650 SLI

MISC: Vraptor 300GB, Coolermaster RealpowerM1000, Coolermaster Cosmos S,TC PA120.3 in the roof for CPU/NB pushed by a trusted D5 Vario/MCP655 and Feser 480 externaly for GPU pushed by a Swiftech MCP355, EK Supreeme with LGA1366 bracket or if Dtek get their as out of the wagon in time i might reuse my Fuzion V2 but this is the basic setup along with some other 500GB-1TB HDD:s i gonna use but the MB is due for delivery in early december so the RAM and wb for NB still has time to come out.
Might ad a second Feser 480 for the CPU/NB loop later.

Why i made the choise i did: Because i can buy it and it is time to move on, MB partly due to stepup LGA 775-LGA1366 is not allowed.
 
Not sure if I made a good choice, but I only ordered the I7 920 with an Asus Rampage Extreme II. I will just use my 2GB memory (dual-channel) kit until I can afford a better tri-channel kit. Tracking info says they will be here on Thursday.
 
-----------------
CPU: Core i7 920
MB: Asus P6T Deluxe
RAM: Wintec AmpX DDR3-1600 6gb

-----------------
Your OC settings: 3.9ghz (19x209)
Cooling: TRUE, Push-Pull Sanyo Denki
Temps: Full load 69c (It only runs full load)
-----------------
Why you chose the setup you did? Well, MB was the first released, and i've always had luck with Asus stuff. So it was a no brainer. CPU, price... $600 for a 940 is dumb. RAM, $67 for 6gb of ddr3-1600 is full of win.
 
Last edited:
CPU: i7 920
MB: Asus P6T Deluxe
RAM: Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1600C8D 6GB DDR3
GPU: HIS 4870x2
HDD: WD Velociraptor 300GB
PSU: Corsair HX1000
LG Blu-ray writer
LG W3000H-BN 30'' LCD

Everything at stock for now with stock cooler, waiting for Thermalright 1366RT before starting OCing. Impossible to find in Canada for now. :(

Why? I do alot of video editing/encoding with gigantic AVCHD files, so the more power/faster the better. :)
 
CPU: 920
MB: P6T
RAM: Patriot 3x2GB DDR3-1600
HDD: WD 640AALS
PSU: Silverstone 750(?)W modular.
Case: Mozart TX
Cooling: TBD (probably a GTZ if the bracket is out next week) and 2x120 rad
GPU: 6800GS (budget blown for month with the above, hopefully the nv refresh will be out in time for xmas)
 
new CPU - 0
new MB - 0
money still in pocket, priceless!!
rest, c spex

I was in my car, driving along this Monday past, on my way to buying an i920, p6t dlx and some more dd3 like already have...then I thought ' AUS$650' odd for a AUS$400 processor(mobo is minimum AUS$535)...nah:eek::eek::eek:..I would love to go i7, but the premium here in Aussie plus early adopters fee;);), i have paid too many times.....so I turned my car around and went home - no i7, new mobo or ram however still with ~AUS$1500 in my pocket, to be spent after you guys help get the bioses etc etc right...GL all new i7 owners, happy number crunching!!!!
 
-----------------
CPU:i920
MB:Gigabute UD5
RAM: Kingston valueram cl9

-----------------
Your OC settings, 4.1ghz 1.41bios, 1.392load.
cooling,watercooling ekwater extreme
temps 40-43c idle 60c load

-----------------
Why you chose the setup you did
best option with my budget.
Cheap ram is good enough and the UD5 board had good reviews.
 
here is my setup: i will be pressing the buy button after the new year :) im coming from a P4 3.2ghz system so this will be like night and day for me, cant bloody wait
corei7zs8.jpg
 
hay guys... please dont forget to try and include all the info you can about your systems.
not just the rough basics. I really wanted to start this thread with the intensions of making
it a really really good resource for people to

- Look up most popular systems
- Why people chose what they chose
- What their speeds are/etc
- Cooling
- Side Comments
​
 
hay guys... please dont forget to try and include all the info you can about your systems.
not just the rough basics. I really wanted to start this thread with the intensions of making
it a really really good resource for people to

- Look up most popular systems
- Why people chose what they chose
- What their speeds are/etc
- Cooling
- Side Comments
​


well im going for that TM ultra cooler because its the best air cooler out their atm.

i am more then likely going to go for this board instead. cheaper and does an equal job like the original board shown on my basket pic http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?...+PCI-E+2.0,+DDR3+1066/1600/2000,+SATA+II,+ATX
 
Just ordered the following. In case someone else in the UK is trying to build an i7 on a budget, I've included the e-taliers and prices (including VAT tax). Hope it helps.

Shops used include www.scan.co.uk and www.pixmania.co.uk and www.memoryc.com, http://www.eclipsecomputers.com etc. With the exception of eclipse, I've used them before and found them to be reliable e-tailers - hopefully eclipse will also also reliable.

Can't give any overclocking figures as it's probably going to be a while before I get all the kit and have the time to put it all together.

  • CPU: Intel Core i7-920 - 2.66 GHz (£241.00 - www.pixmania.co.uk - Why pay more when you can overclock the 920?)
  • MB: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 (£205.00 - www.pixmania.co.uk - Had really great experiences with Gigabyte motherboards. Hopefully this is of the same quality. And the colours look good.)
  • RAM: 6GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333MHz) CL9-9-9-24 (£178.11 - www.memoryc.com - didn't want to pay too much for memory, and this was the cheapest I could find for 6GB trip channel)
  • Case: Silverstone FT01 Black (£141 - www.eclipsecomputers.com. Only 3 fans and excellent cooling. Should keep the noise level low. Great looking case as well.)
  • GPU: 896Mb nVidia GeForce GTX 260 (£187 - www.eclipsecomputers.com - Got this instead of the 280 GTX because it's supposedly much more quiet - as per www.silentpcreview.com. And picked it over the 4870 1 Gig due to power consumption, heat and noise.)
Cooling:
  • Thermalright HR-01 PLUS 120mm heat (£26.99 - www.scan.co.uk - supposedly the best heatsink for noise according to www.silentpcreview.com. We'll see.)
  • Thermalright HR-01 775 120mm Fan-Duc (£3.00 www.scan.co.uk - should help reduce fan RPM's and get a more quiet PC. Some people go full passive cooling with this setup)
  • Thermalright LGA1366 Bolt-Thru-Kit (£5.29 - www.scan.co.uk)

Edit: Forget the stuff from EclipseComputers... I ordered from there over a week before everything else. And have received else. They don't tell you it's not in stock and you have to wait two weeks!! The case is still not in stock after all this time and the graphics card has been discontinued. Cancelled my order there and not going to use them again. Got a 260 GTX 216 core from Scan instead - and for £193.01. Not sure about the case...
 
here is my setup: i will be pressing the buy button after the new year :) im coming from a P4 3.2ghz system so this will be like night and day for me, cant bloody wait {pic deleted}

That looks like a good setup - but I think you'll be able to save a bit if you shop around a bit. Even if you buy next year. Check out some of the e-tailers I've used for a similar setup.
 
That looks like a good setup - but I think you'll be able to save a bit if you shop around a bit. Even if you buy next year. Check out some of the e-tailers I've used for a similar setup.

like what? im from the uk so i cant use the likes of newegg etc plus i get free delivery with scan :p

edit: thats a goo setup u have above but u diddnt include a PSU or a hdd like i did :S i will revise my basket and see how much cheaper i can get it too.

i really want the coolermaster 840 case instead but their £185 :(
 
Posted in another thread but
-----------------
CPU: Intel I7 920
MB: MSI X58 Platinum
RAM: 3x2gb Kingston 1333 DDR3

-----------------
Your OC settings, (not tested yet, ill edit at later date)
cooling,
temps

-----------------
Why you chose the setup you did

Cause I got a hell of a deal on Ebay for the I7, Mobo was cheap on newegg and so was ram

Total upgrade cost: $650

Upgrading from Intel netburst architecture: Priceless
 
Just had the mobo & cpu arrive, building now...will post the rest once its up and running later tonight. I'll OC a little tonight and go all out once I receive the TRUE
-----------------
CPU: Core i7 920
MB: Asus P6T Deluxe
RAM: G.Skill 6GB DDR3 1600
PSU: Antec Signature 650W
-----------------
Your OC settings: n/a
Cooling: TRUE + 2x 120mm fans just ordered, be here in a week
-----------------
Why you chose the setup you did?
920, cheapest i7 + will OC great
P6T, first board that was available to me & it had great reviews all around the web including [H]
G.Skill 6GB DDR3 1600, cheapest 6gig set I could find at $300 Cdn, & I've used their memory before with no problems.
Antec Sig. 650 great PS and I got it on sale for $170
VIDEO: HD4850 found local for cheap
Case: Antec 300, not sure about this now but we'll see how well it works for this rig
 
CPU: i7 920
MB: Gigabyte UD5 (because it has a few more features than either the deluxe or the model below it)
RAM: G.Skill 1600 2 packs of the 3x2 GB for 12GB total (make the most of the tri band memory after all)
GPU: 2x EVGA nVidia GTX 280 SCC
HDD: 500GB Hitachi as storage for games, 1TB Samsung spinpoint as storage for everything else 2x Hitachi 250GB from old system for storage and main OS drive.
PSU: Corsair 750 Watt (according to the calculator I have almost 80 Watts breathing room).
Samsung 22x DVD RW+-
Possibly old NEC 8x DVD RW +-

CASE: Thermaltake Xaser 4 Aluminium (Aluminum for the U.S)

Total cost $2706.87 including the soundcard and thermal paste.

Kind of waiting for Xigmatek to bring out either a new bracket for the s1283 range or a new cooler for LGA1366 compatibility. Not planning on any overclocks for the moment.

System spec is high because it will have to last another five years like the current one in the sig, and I went with nVidia EVGA cards because, well...besides one of the leading cards on the market, who the hell has a warranty like that!?

And I had a bad run of cards with ATi since I switched, so I'm kinda leaning away from them.

This is the most likely build to get bought within the next month or so, and it's only happening due to getting a bonus for finding someone to fill a position at work.
 
Okay, not much to tell, but I got my I7 920 and Rampage II Extreme on Thursday and wow, it is a pleasure to OC this beast! Basically, I've done nothing much yet but just do the CPU Level Up to the I965 and vroom...it goes all the to 3.2Ghz without a twitc! Still have to test for stability, but man, never have OCing been this easy until now! Those who are somewhat newbie to OCing should just get the Rampage II Extreme as well. Not sure if the P6T Deluxe has the same option (CPU Level Up).
 
Just ordered the following. In case someone else in the UK is trying to build an i7 on a budget, I've included the e-taliers and prices (including VAT tax). Hope it helps.

new revised shopping basket. same price in total but now includes a 260gtx but only have a 750GB hdd instead of the 1TB



 
-----------------
CPU:
Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz LGA 1366 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 -Retail - $299.99 @ Newegg
MB:
EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $339.99 @ Newegg
RAM:
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D - Retail - $309.99 @ Newegg
VID:
EVGA 01G-P3-1284-AR GeForce GTX 280 SSC Edition 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail - $434.99 -$30 MIR @ Newegg
HD:
2 X Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM - $169.98 @ Newegg
DVD
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q - OEM - $23 @ Newegg
MONITOR:
Acer G24 Orange 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 50000:1 (ACM) - Retail - $389.99 @ Newegg

-------------

Already Own

PS:
Corsair HX 1000 - $189.99 @ Newegg
CASE:
Cooler Master RC690 - $37.82 @ Microcenter
FANS
6 x 140 X 25 Yates - PetrasTech - $47.52 probably wont use them all in this build
-----------------
OC:
Hoping for a stable 3.6 will post when I do it.
COOLING:
Thermalright "Limited Edition" TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink (Socket LGA 775 / LGA 1366* / AM2 / Xeon*) - $74.95 @ FrozenCPU
TEMPS:
Will post once its up and running.

-----------------
Why you chose the setup you did
The reason why I chose the EVGA stuff is that I have always been an ATI/AMD guy. All my builds for friends and clients because of cost. But this time I am building a comp for myself and I want to jump the fence and give the new generation EVGA/Nvidia products a go. The last time I was Intel/Nvidia was my Emachine with Celeron 666/MX440

I am doing mods to the case. Cutting it up with a dremel I just bought, spraying painting it black etc.

I chose the monitor cause I want 24". My boss has the P243W and the thing is gorgeous I figured since I am building this for gaming I might as well spend the extra 50 bucks for "Gaming Monitor" I am sure though that there is no difference between the G24 and P243W. But I LIKE ORANGE. :D

All together this build will cost me around $2500 with shipping. It will be running Vista Ult. 64 and all the goodies. As you can tell I am in need of an upgrade. (Look @ sig lulz)
 
Finally got everything put together last night - powered up, and everything in BOIS was correct on the first go - imagine that!! No problems thus far.
EDIT: Date/Time in BIOS was off by +12hrs.

Will begin installing Windoze + everything else when I get home. WoW 1.1 FTL...

Why I chose what I did:
My old system is about 5+ yrs old - Athlon XP 2800 (Barton), 2GB DDR, AGP 8x, IDE...so anything would have been a huge upgrade. That poor thing is on it's last leg as well. Had the cash, decided to go ahead and do it up. Glad I waited for Core i7.

I chose the case based solely on Lian Li's rep. That, and well, just look at how much room is in that thing - you could put a body in that there - LOL. Plus, it's one of the most well built cases I've ever run across. I'm not big on liquid cooling, and this thing has enough fans to keep everything nice and cool.

As far as video, the only game I really play is WoW. If I ever need more video power, I'll just get another and SLI them.

Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHz
Asus P6T Deluxe Mobo
6GB Tri-Channel PC 1333 DDR3 RAM - Corsair XMS 3
evga GTX 260 Core 216
WD VRaptor 300GB (Main) WTB 1 more for RAID 0 :D
Segate 7200.11 500GB (Files)
Corsair HX1000 PS - 1000W
Lian Li PC A71A Case
All cables sleeved.
Air cooled.


335586473_1149941223_0.jpg


Sorry for bad pic - camera phone FTL. The woman says digicam is "still in a box somewhere".
 
Back
Top