Post your HeadPhones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ver1tas said:
I dunno about better sound, depends what you're going for. I like my external sound card with optical to reciever and 2 infinity primus 250 towers better than headphones. I have Sony MDR V600's if i feel the need tho.

How much did you spend on the reciever and speakers? Did you spend the same amount on the headphones?

MrPrez said:
Eww...590s. Even though the guys at Tweeter sold them to me for 100 bucks, they still sucked.

That's too bad. I went through 3 or 4 different sets of different sennheiser models and a couple of Grado's before going with the 590's and I love them.

To each their own I suppose. ;)

Talonz said:
Not to hijack the thread, but when saturnine2 said it was overkill, that really means the PPA is overkill for the Audigy 2. And it's true. A PPA level amp is best matched by at least an Envy24 or E-MU card.

Audigy 2 = Envy24

ScHpAnKy said:
Audigy 2 = Envy24

Are you trying to say the A2 is equal in terms of sound quality to Envy24 cards or that the A2 has the Envy24 on it? Cause the A2 has the CA0102 DSP, NOT the Envy24.

strid3r said:
Are you trying to say the A2 is equal in terms of sound quality to Envy24 cards or that the A2 has the Envy24 on it? Cause the A2 has the CA0102 DSP, NOT the Envy24.

I'm not sure, I honestly can't tell the difference between the A2 and my Envy24, but I was reading something that said that one of the Audigy cards had Envy 24

The Audigy series do not have a Envy24 implementation. Cards like the Chaintech AV710 and the M-Audio Revo's use it. But even then, the sound quality is determined by the sum of its parts, not just the DSP used.

strid3r said:
The Audigy series do not have a Envy24 implementation. Cards like the Chaintech AV710 and the M-Audio Revo's use it. But even then, the sound quality is determined by the sum of its parts, not just the DSP used.

if u send it out digitally... do u still use the onboard dsp?

No. But if all you want is a digital output, then most motherboards come with one, or at least a s/pdif header.

GodsMadClown said:
No. But if all you want is a digital output, then most motherboards come with one, or at least a s/pdif header.

yeah.. mine doesn't have digital outs onboard.. I am using my audigy2. But I have an Entech DAC coming monday to feed my PPA and was wondering if I would hear a difference with a different soundcard if I go digital. Anyone know if you can use the both digital (front and rear connections) @ the same time on the audigy2? I want to feed my DAC the optical connection and have the rear coax digital go to my reciever.

I know HD497 is nothing but here's mine.

29ec.jpg

chizu said:
I know HD497 is nothing but here's mine.

IMG]http://img148.exs.cx/img148/5654/29ec.jpg[/IMG]

If for nothing else, they certainly have a particular charm to them!

Beyerdynamic DT880s, arrived today.

Jaw droppingly brilliant compared to the old 'phones. *cough* Technics *cough* Been going through old CDs that I know very well and finding details that weren't heard before.

Can't wait to buy an amp now. :)

Bleed said:
heres mine:

Its an Audio Techinica ATH-A900
the white one is my Sony MDR EX71 for my portable, im planning to replace it with ER6i or the new Shure E4C when it comes out.

I also have the ex71 and even with the low ended turned down, it still leaves me longing for more. What do you think of the ex71's? I'm considering the
Sharp MD33S phones as they are less costly than Ety's ER6, the Shure e3's, or e2's. I've owned the e2's and just felt they were kinda violating my ear holes a bit too much.

Jodiuh said:
I also have the ex71 and even with the low ended turned down, it still leaves me longing for more. What do you think of the ex71's? I'm considering the
Sharp MD33S phones as they are less costly than Ety's ER6, the Shure e3's, or e2's. I've owned the e2's and just felt they were kinda violating my ear holes a bit too much.

i love my ex71, maybe thats because im a bass head and they are a lot of fun to listen to :p. alot of people dont like it, and i think the MD33S is more balanced than the ex71. you should also consider the Panasonic RP-HJE50.

Bleed said:
... and i think the MD33S is more balanced than the ex71. you should also consider the Panasonic RP-HJE50.

Oh, you own that one? I'll probably cave soon.

[em]HEAT said:
Here's mine. I really like these babys. Excellent sond with my Audigy 2 zs soundcard.

mdr700.jpg

I tried on a pair of those and I just couldnt get them to sit comfortably on my ears.

Here's my setup...

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's
DSC00898.JPG

Entech 203.2 DAC
DSC00907.JPG

MisterX PPA
DSC00906.JPG

Pair of HD555's here, I love em
Just need to get an amp for em, thinking of getting a little PiMeta, or maybe building my own cmoy for the road.

I got some new toys as well :D

Sennhieser HD-650s w/ Headphile black coral cable.

IM000111.jpg

Sennhieser HD-555s

IM000107.jpg

FEEL HP-200se hybrid amp

IM000120.jpg

A macro shot of my new portable amp. (pun intended)
IM000132.jpg

P.S. MisterX is that a Millet-Hybrid?

nice setup psycho :D. that HD-650 shall be next on my list.
no plans on upgrading your supermacro to SM V3?

Bleed said:
nice setup psycho :D. that HD-650 shall be next on my list.
no plans on upgrading your supermacro to SM V3?

I bought it used from someone who upgraded to a v3. I like the sound enough as it is that I don't even feel the need to upgade.

P.S. MisterX is that a Millet-Hybrid?

Yup... it is one of the Head-fi prototype boards.
It is a pretty nice budget amp but it gets shredded by my M3. :)

Mister X said:
Yup... it is one of the Head-fi prototype boards.
It is a pretty nice budget amp but it gets shredded by my M3. :)
Hmmm, I've been hearing alot of talk about the m3 project yet but have seen very few finished yet, mind throwing up some pics X? Also which tubes do you like best in your millet, I like my sylvania 12ae6a's myself...

Well, I got really drunk a few nights ago and had some paypal funds to play with. I, a known Senn fannboy, ordered another pair of MS-1s. I sold my first pair because I hated them for their extremely annoying highs. The day after I ordered the second pair, I didnt remember a thing from the past night. I noticed the order confirmation later that afternoon, and thought OMFG, WTF?!?!?!!! :p Well, I got the new pair in, and they are FREAKING AMAZING. Right now, I am totally sober, and am enjoying them more than my HD650s. I am confused as to why my first pair sucked though, was there some manufacturing change or something? I'm gonna give it some time, and if I still like the MS1s more, the HD650s will be sold for a pair of MS-Pros. I never really believed in the Sennheiser "veil", but they do seem very boring and withdrawed next to the MS-1s. The HD650s bass gets lower, and their frequency range is more flat, but the MS-1s are faster, and more enjoyable to these ears ATM. :D Grados soundstage still sucks though :p

That is an epiphany if I ever seen one. :D

Does that mean it's time to try some differant opamps in you PPA now? :p

Actually, I'm really enjoying the AD8610s with the Alessandros! Unbelievably! Its like either the insane brightness got up and left, or my tennitus has been cured :p I wouldnt want them to be any darker than they are now. I dont want to leave the Sennheiser camp though, I tried the MS-1s with gaming and was very unimpressed with sound positioning. Maybe I'll get some HD580s if the HD650s get sold.

Oh, BTW, I still want the opamps swapped in the EMU, but it has to wait till after the NC Head-Fi meet May 14th. We're having another meet the next month when headroom rolls into town, and I want to let everyone hear the difference an opamp swap can make ;)

Edwood said:
Not Made by me. (well, some stuff is modded)

My AKG K1000 and Grace 901 Amp
K1000_Connector_Mod_01s.jpg

My Sony MDR-R10
Edwood_R10_02.jpg

My Modded RME Digi96/8 PAD Sound card
RME_mod_SilverWire_MK3_06.jpg

I've got a few more projects I'm finishing.

I also have a Grace m902 on it's way.

-Ed

Damn........ you have some very nice gear Ed.
But you need a better amp..... Dynahi maybe? :p

saturnine2 said:
Actually, I'm really enjoying the AD8610s with the Alessandros! Unbelievably!

That is not so hard to believe.... it's not so much that the 8610s are birght it's more like they are aggresive on the top end. :)

saturnine2 said:
Oh, BTW, I still want the opamps swapped in the EMU, but it has to wait till after the NC Head-Fi meet May 14th. We're having another meet the next month when headroom rolls into town, and I want to let everyone hear the difference an opamp swap can make ;)

I will send the Millet along for the ride if you want to pay the return shipping.
(it was built to be a demo amp)

Mister X said:
I will send the Millet along for the ride if you want to pay the return shipping.
(it was built to be a demo amp)
Sounds sweet! I've been wanting to hear a hybrid. I can also send you my MS-1s to try if you like.

Mister X said:
I got a new toy. :)
Well I actually built it but that is the same thing.
Some of you may recognize it from a certain head-fi thread. :D

ya i saw that, i have an original millet PCB... i cant believe they went through all the trouble of redesigning the pcb and still use BUF634's i thought they would put a discrete stage for sure, oh well... perhaps puting the drive stage of the M3 on the gain stage of the millet? hrmm... idea! :D

This is what I use now, the amp will be upgraded (several times) sometime over the summer. Current setup is HD580 with a Pimeta.
cans.jpg

insidepimeta.jpg

Sorry about the pic, I have no pics of my E2c's so I took this out of some Headfi meet pictures, and cropped it. I now use the small ultra soft flex sleeves instead of the foamies I had at that time.
e2c.jpg
e2cin.jpg

PsychoZX said:
I got some new toys as well :D
FEEL HP-200se hybrid amp

IM000120.jpg

Where do you find equipment like this? A google for FEEL and /or HP-200SE and so on turned up very little usable data...

I ask because i'd like to look into a tube amplifier of some sort, preferably one that is much cheaper than that one... as i'm sure yours is not in my current range.

The_Engineer said:
Where do you find equipment like this? A google for FEEL and /or HP-200SE and so on turned up very little usable data...

I ask because i'd like to look into a tube amplifier of some sort, preferably one that is much cheaper than that one... as i'm sure yours is not in my current range.
look for a hp-1000a or a millet hybrid, those are a pair of nice opening tube amps, as is a wooaudio1 if you can find one.

Just some HD497's for me... :rolleyes:

My friend has the Senn 280's... those things rock. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back