Post your HeadPhones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
mustang_steve said:
How do you like those westones? I never heard of them before so I stayed away, but the price for what looks like a shure clone was intriguing

I only got them a few days ago but so far I like them quite a bit. Compared to the e5s, you get the same bass thump, I still find the high end a bit recessed but it's better than the e5s. Then again I'm used to the grados at home :)

One thing I'm worried about is the thin cable doesn't feel too durable, the cabling on the shure can take a beating. You also only get a 90day warranty from Westone :(

I'd say both the e5 and the um2 are quite similar beasts, you'd have to try them out and see which one you like better especially since the price gap between them is closing.

amax what the nasty lookin liquid in the water bottle next to the axe? alsothat amp, is it retail or did you make it... it looks ince :p

jerb said:
amax what the nasty lookin liquid in the water bottle next to the axe? alsothat amp, is it retail or did you make it... it looks ince :p

LOL it's tamarind juice, I mix it w/noodles for this cold noodle dish, it's Chinese. The amp no it's not retail. I actually built it, wait I wish I built it. It's actually a MINT made by the forum's very own MisterX.

amax2 said:
LOL it's tamarind juice, I mix it w/noodles for this cold noodle dish, it's Chinese. The amp no it's not retail. I actually built it, wait I wish I built it. It's actually a MINT made by the forum's very own MisterX.

I am also looking at getting a MINT amp from MisterX. What did that amp do for your Sennheiser headphones? I just want a rough idea of how the sound improves? Also what model are the headphones on the left?

Basically my decision to buy this amp was based on my previous form of amplication an old vintage Kenwood receiver. I guess it was decent in comparison to having no amp.

Prior to listening to music without an amp or reciever, I noticed that the cymbals would just become overly harsh and really you couldn't tell that they were cymbals. So I started my quest for amplification.

Next I started using an old reciever, the problem with it was that it was too dammn fatiguing. Bass was overly powerful and treble at times was too bright. Because of this my listening time was not very long. Also there was some background noise comming from the headphone jack.

Then came the MINT, after getting it some things were obvious to me then others. For one the bass and treble was a lot more enjoyable, basically not overpowering. As result of this I was beginning to notice more details from my music and I also had a better understanding for what 'soundstage' was.

Add to the collection here:

Grado SR60s with modded Sennheiser pads.
5_36C10C1C3F.jpg

5_C5EB2F2924.jpg

Mint amp
5_549ED77E73.JPG

Pimeta amp
5_F6D3CE1C54.jpg

Thanks. Next time I steal a friends digi-cam, I'll take some pics of my Beyerdynamic DT531. :)

I want a headphone amp but i have too little time to make my own and too little money to buy one. D'oh.

My phones:

Grado SR-80
Audio Tehcnica A500
Shure E2C
Sennheider XM500

Amp:
Pimeta w/ switchbox

strid3r said:
Thanks. Next time I steal a friends digi-cam, I'll take some pics of my Beyerdynamic DT531. :)

Do you by any chance live in Quincy? Also did you DIY that amp?

jamezzz122 said:
Do you by any chance live in Quincy? Also did you DIY that amp?

Both amps were made by Mister X. I sold the Mint and Grados a while ago. I got the Pimeta back in the summer and still have it. And yeah, I'm from Quincy.

strid3r said:
Both amps were made by Mister X. I sold the Mint and Grados a while ago. I got the Pimeta back in the summer and still have it. And yeah, I'm from Quincy.

Ahh cool...How did you like the mint amp?

I know you from my cousin. We were playing Gunbound before and you noticed my name from [H]. My cousin is Diana. I think you guys went to HS together.

headphonerigsmall7sk.jpg

godsmadclownpimetainteriorfron.jpg

Sony ST-JX500 Tuner/Chaintech AV-710 -> dual switching input MisterX PiMeta -> Ultrasone HFI 650 headphones.

It lets me listen to NPR or Foobar2K at work.

Got my Miserx PPA in today :D Pics:

audio.jpg

240610P1010029813.jpg

Next upgrade is a Moon Audio Silver Dragon Senn cable...or maybe a new desk...

PPA (steps and diamond buffer in a parmetals case with dual switched inputs and bassboost)
MisterX 1/4 mono-RCA cables (sexy cable sleeving!)
Sennheiser HD600s
Grado SR80s (looking to upgrade to SR225)
15gb Dell DJ
EMU 0404, 192khz through ASIO

Nope, got it at Linens and Things. I was hoping they would have one of those toilet paper holders with space for 2 pairs, oh well.

MisterX: I bought the amp used. The previous owner said he paid around 75 dollars for it. I'm not sure who built it

hd570.gif

Sennheiser HD570
Have used them for the passed 18 months, enjoyed them up until 10 minutes ago when MisterX said they werent a good value for $70 :p

Jozone said:
Sennheiser HD570
Have used them for the passed 18 months, enjoyed them up until 10 minutes ago when MisterX said they werent a good value for $70 :p
They really arent.. I used to own a pair. They sure are comfy though... :p

ikari303 said:
Sennheiser HD-25s hooked up to an Audigy 2 ZS.
How do you like those? Do they block outside noise at all? I've been considering a pair for my portable...

Great headphones. Very isolating, at least once you've got something playing. I use them with my iPod all the time and despite the wierd looks from the gigantic cans on my ears, they're great.

ikari303 said:
Great headphones. Very isolating, at least once you've got something playing. I use them with my iPod all the time and despite the wierd looks from the gigantic cans on my ears, they're great.

The cord microphonics dont bother you?

That is the only thing I don't like about my BA HD25 SPs

Well, I sure don't notice it... there's some slight resonance from the cord if you move it, tug on it, or tap on a portion, but it's hardly noticeable if you've got a signal going through them and since I tend to just leave the cord lying when I use them (I only really use them at my desk now, I use my ER-6s with my iPod) I don't really have a problem with it. Now, since I basically answered your question from the Google definition of "microphonics", I'm not sure if it's the answer you're looking for. My Dad's the audio pro, not me.

my main cans, AKG K1000 :)

E5DD8984_filtered.jpg

E5DD8986_filtered.jpg

made my own cable, silver plated copper twisted pair with a silver plated copper shield, one pair per driver (they are still balanced)

E5DD9006_filtered.jpg

uber cmoy using BB OPA548T high power OP-AMPs to drive the power hungry K1k's

E5DD9014_filtered.jpg

E5DD9020_filtered.jpg

that one resistor is the entire feedback loop :)

E5DD8847.jpg

my source, Behringer UltraCurve DEQ2496 is my EQ/DAC, on my main PC its coming optical out from an E-MU 0404... also in the pic is my Peter Millet hybrid low-voltage tube amp, my BeyerDynamic DT990's, and i also have a PIMETA that i use with an M-Audio sonica with modded ouput caps on my laptop and my 990's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back