Post your "Ghetto Mod" pics

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
Forget the router. I see Total Annihilation there!

YES!!! A few buddies and I regularly lan up and play it. You know the community is still developing for it right?

http://www.tauniverse.com/

We play with the latest community patch, 3.9 something, and the escalation expansion someone developed.

Lots of fun. 3rd tier tech adds a lot to the game.

that is a serious ghetto fix for that router wish i had though of that when i tossed my old one out do to it cooking itself.

Router was overheating. Soldered up a fan plug, hooked up a fan. Doesn't overheat anymore.

Hey man nothing ghetto about that. A cool router is a reliable router...I've had to heatsink and fan mine due to really bad overheating issues, wifi dropping and Ethernet ports giving out from heat.

cN8j3.jpg

My 1st post...

Day 1:
33djq1l.jpg

Day 18:
35kspb7.jpg

MOBO: MSI Z77MA-G45
CPU: i5 3570K
DDR3: Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 Vengeance Desktop Memory Kit - 16GB (2x 8GB)
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 240G
HDD: Toshiba(100G)*** & WD(160G)***
External: xTreamer Sidewinder with Seagate HDD(500G)
Acc: WD IcePack(x3)
PSU: 600W***
Case: HP***

***, from a junked PC(found along the road)

Last edited:
What do you use that PC for?

Throw in a video card and a PSU that can handle it... can have some gaming fun with it!

Figured I'd show off what my ghetto folding rig looks like (last machine in my sig)

IWrgz.jpg

I added several 4x6 notecards just recently and I gotta admit, routing air through this case and into fans does help a bit (2-7 degrees C!).

Most of the air enters through the bottom (no 80mm fan being used) and some air blows over a random hard drive I got laying on the bottom (metal case kind of acting like a heatsink too). This air is sucked through a 120mm Nidec fan I ripped from an old compaq dual p3 xeon server.

This blows through the first heatsink which has another fan do a pull and a push for the next hsf. Not so fast though.. as that middle fan is special... check this! Yep... 4x 60mm fans ghetto hot-glued and soldered together. This blows through the next heatsink where a final 120mm fan (this was ripped from a dead mushkin PSU) pulls air and the air shroud redirects air to the PSU to pull out the back of the case.

Those 3 CPU fans and the 1 rear 80mm fan are all connected together and attached to a ghetto 7v molex mod ( http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/137 )... keeps the air moving at a decent pace for how quiet it is!

I also have a 92mm shoved into the 80mm purple plastic snappy-thing. The fan used to work, but I think I wired up the plug wrong and it isn't right now. Not really caring so it's just sitting unplugged right now.

64-65oC temps on one CPU, 68-72 temps on other CPU. (100% load folding... it's in the 30's idle)

The other ghetto thing I got going on is the way I got the HSF attached to the mobo. These heat sinks come with a huge PAIN IN THE ASS bolts you gotta use this terrible little wrench they give you, and it's impossible to use because of the NB heatsink/memory/etc in the way. So I ran over to home depot, paid 87 cents for some 6-32 1" screws and I screwed those babies right through the mobo from the back into the bracket holding the heatsink down. Bam. done. Made it super easy, TIM job between the HSF and CPU probably isn't the best because it was a bitch to hold an upside down mobo, push it down onto the heatsinks while screwing it down... but it works.

The CPUs I got in there are actually only bought for $32, I bought lesser chips but the seller mailed me the wrong ones (socket 775 chips). I bitched and was upgraded to something even better. Yay free upgrade! (well.. at the cost of $8 shipping). Still a good deal for at the time.

(case was free from a friend. hard drive was free from another friend.. he said the drive was possibly dead. has installed ubuntu and windows just fine.. never had problems running FAH on it)

Last edited:
My heart didn't allow to let go of this blow dryer after the handle snap. Also the powerful blow button didn't work so I solder it together, wrapped it in some rubber glove cut outs to stop electricity shocks and voila. It's been gold since then and I use it for heating up panels for painting.

qZZ6r.jpg

YES!!! A few buddies and I regularly lan up and play it. You know the community is still developing for it right?

http://www.tauniverse.com/

We play with the latest community patch, 3.9 something, and the escalation expansion someone developed.

Lots of fun. 3rd tier tech adds a lot to the game.

Oh yeah. TA Escalation is insanely awesome. Especially naval combat.

My 1st post...

Day 18:
35kspb7.jpg

MOBO: MSI Z77MA-G45
CPU: i5 3570K
DDR3: Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 Vengeance Desktop Memory Kit - 16GB (2x 8GB)
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 240G
HDD: Toshiba(100G)*** & WD(160G)***
External: xTreamer Sidewinder with Seagate HDD(500G)
Acc: WD IcePack(x3)
PSU: 600W***
Case: HP***

***, from a junked PC(found along the road)

why i there a harddrive open at the bottom of your case???

Oh, he was just cleaning it out with a q-tip...you don't open up your drives and clean them out?

So, I recently picked up this 754 mobo from Dashpuppy off the freebies thread...looking at pictures I thought I had a heatsink that would work so to save shipping I did not have him include the HSF...guess what, AM2 sink does not go on 754

pb070125q.jpg
tJQaSQI.jpg

not gonna go, quick call to my favorite salvage shop...waited on the phone while he dug a bit, none in stock. Not to be deterred...heatsink, meet Mr. portaband

pb070126.jpg
dHNIQwk.jpg

it fits fine now,

PSU I had for the system did not have enough 4 pin molex, but had extra SATA connectors, hmmm, what do we have here

pb100127.jpg
AhJOvcx.jpg

looks like the PCB out of a bad laptop drive
Tgpe7Bk.jpg

bingo

Last edited:
Could not find a desk i liked so i took the door off the closet and added a Newegg and amazon box on top of a couple of night stands.
I have a bed sheet on the door with two large clear glass desk plates on the sheet.

deskmod.jpg

@P4B Hero! But make sure the boxes are really solid as they might give in on the weight. Apart from that kudos for having a better quality desk than IKEA can ever offer

m9JKg.jpg

After 12 years my headphones p-leather finally wore out and I wasn't going to let a simple fact like that stop me from using them for another 10 years.
Br84r.jpg

So after careful thought what to use as new material, I noticed one of my socks has a hole init and I decided this is it!
74OzY.jpg

Behold!

After 12 years my headphones p-leather finally wore out and I wasn't going to let a simple fact like that stop me from using them for another 10 years.
So after careful thought what to use as new material, I noticed one of my socks has a hole init and I decided this is it!
Behold!

Lol, this is awesome, no old foot odor on the socks I assume...

Behold!

-10 Food stamps for nice granite counter tops.

No I actually put the effort to wash them before I wrapped them around my head. I don't mind if 1 food stamp is sacrificed for this blasphemy

Behold!

Dude that's fucking awesome! I need to do something similar with my Beyerdynamic DT770s. I put a whole different headband on them from another set of headphones but I'd like the original back because it was lighter and puts less pressure on my head. I'll definitely have to look around for an old pair of socks :p.

The fan on the GT440 at work decided to start wobbling and making unbearable noises in an otherwise silent case (SSD, quiet fans). Solution: Take a new 80mm fan, repin the power connector, and wire tie the fan to the card.

2012-12-12%2011.06.07.jpg

upgraded my ghetto desk with some cheap tolex i rejected from my next build.
100_0397_zps3d6f005f.jpg

100_0398_zps462d348a.jpg

and my new ghetto dust grill.
100_0399_zpsb429646d.jpg

@P4B Hero! But make sure the boxes are really solid as they might give in on the weight. Apart from that kudos for having a better quality desk than IKEA can ever offer

Them are some tuff boxes. You could make a mega homeless house with them!

Hey, folks, got another real classy repair done... during the summer, I had a real cheap O2Cool "necklace fan" -- like this -- mine has the radioactive-seasick-green base and lower fan guard, bright blue upper fan guard, and a don't-shoot-me-orange blade rotor. It was retired prematurely when part of the pill-bottle-style mechanism for getting the guard off, fell off.

Piece.
Of.
Turdball.
Junk.

It has now been fixed, using spare crapola, superglue, and fiberglass tape :eek:

Having removed the blade and offending guard parts, I put down three layers of my favorite material to work with, superglued together and to the battery/motor housing of the O2Cool fan. Then I gutted a 70mm fan down to the housing, and superglued that to the cardboard and part of the housing (motor surround that sticks up where it effing shouldn't). A yard or so of fiberglass tape (OK, more like 8-12", but still...) makes sure that the new surround won't budge. A 70mm fan grill is on with stove bolts (no need for nuts) and washers underneath to provide a little space between grill and blade.

2 rechargeable AAs proved its functionality... they have been removed because we only have so many damn batteries in this house... never can find 'em when you need 'em...

I'd say it almost looks better, lol. Those things are fugly when they're new... also the name "O2COOL" (oh, too cool!) makes me want to puke. That stuff is the worst cheap shit I've used. Probably ever.

Here, have a pic.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
great. its replacement grill cloth for a marshall. but its not like a marshall. this has i tight weave and only took a few hours to notice it working in this old dusty house.
you can order it by the yard and cut it to any size. and you could work at making a fram or something to give it a more finished look.

Back