Post Your Dual Core Opteron Results

my load temps at 1.6 were 40C... I have a feeling it may be that 2GB of ram is a bit much for any memory controller to handle, even an Opteron. I did try w/ a 166 divider to lower it, but no luck. One of my cores always fails after about 10 minutes or so at 2800 w/ 1.6v.

Sigh.... I dunno why but my setup doesnt like me :(. It keeps failing prime at 10x270 with "low" voltage. So right now its priming at 10x270 w/1.58v in bios. So far it seems ok but who knows how long it'll go. My setup is on water and the load temps get to 60C. Maybe its because i prime in a "harsh" fashion? My water setup is a TDX with single 120mm BIP coupled with a panaflo L1A at 7v and thats how I prime it. Its also warmer in FL than anywhere else.

What chipset voltage are you guys using for 10x270?

Also, are you guys stating the cpu voltages shown in windows or voltage settings in the bios?

*edit* It just failed 10x270 at 1.58v after 35 mins. Load temps went to 61C before it failed. I guess its just too hot. Ill try for 2.7ghz again when i get around to moving the hardware into a V1200 w/Storm kit.

kirbyrj said:
I can get up to 2.65Ghz or so with 1.4V on mine FWIW.
Now, at 1.44V, it seem that mine is up to 2.65GHz as well, fails shortly thereafter.. let's see what Prime says tonight.

Not too impressed with my chip to be honest.

well, after some tweaking and burning in my core 0 finally got my opty @ 2.65 with 1.5v dual prime stable.
running my mem with a divider and its at 220mhz right now.
getting 52c full load temp, my case temp is at 40c, im waiting for another hd cage for my armor so i can have 2 120mm intake fans.
i have one of the crappy cores too, but i guess i can be happy with 2.65ghz
CCBWE 0541RPMW

Budwise said:
my load temps at 1.6 were 40C... I have a feeling it may be that 2GB of ram is a bit much for any memory controller to handle, even an Opteron. I did try w/ a 166 divider to lower it, but no luck. One of my cores always fails after about 10 minutes or so at 2800 w/ 1.6v.
same thing with mine, but i'm only running 2x512... it used to not fail, until i moved down south :( used to be able to prime95 all night long on both cores at [email protected]... makes me consider a peltier again...

im maxed out my 170 today. 0543TPMW under water...

2900%20Final%20Small.jpg

at 2700 (my 24/7 OC) my max is 37-38C. When i had it at 2900 it was around 41-42C.

Budwise said:
at 2700 (my 24/7 OC) my max is 37-38C. When i had it at 2900 it was around 41-42C.

That's not too bad seeing as you had like 1.65V running through it.

Budwise said:

I hope you had some cooling for your PWM! Those thing get HOT under a lot of voltage. Can you post a smart guardian shot?

my PWMIC didnt pass 45C. It doesnt even pass 38C or so when im at 2700. I have a high speed 92mm Thermaltake fan hovering right over it... I would post a SG shot, but i dont use it as i prefer Systool. Im bout to go to bed, maybe tomorrow ill futz with it again.

wow your 0543 is awesome. I'm just fiddling with mines and I haven't been able to get nearly the same results as you. The voltages that you guys are posting, are they the voltage set in bios or the ones displayed in smart guardian?

I have an ultra-d and the discrepancies between smart guardian and the bios setup is over .2 volts. I haven't been able to hit 2.7ghz stable even with 1.6volts going through (this calculated through bios and not through smart guardian or cpu-z).

Okj little update on my opty170 543TPMW. I got the chip running on an RDX200 now. I stopped dual priming at 13.5 hours. [email protected] (in bios) under water. 2.8 ghz under 1.6v is my goal. Ill try for that later tonight.

Got my CCBWE 0530 from monarch on xmass, very happy with the results so far. Want to try for the 3.0ghz mark but I am a little hesitant to go past 1.5v

EDIT: just so you know the screen shot of it running prime was just to show temps, dont have one of it passing prime for larger amounts of time yet.

My Opteron 170 0543TPMW doesn't quite make it to 2.7 - highest I can get is 2.686 at 1.5V BIOS setting (although CPUz and SmartGuardian both report 1.47V). The max temp under 2x Prime load is 43 degrees with a Scythe Ninja and 1/2 max speed Silverstone 120mm fan. I'm keeping it at 2.67 for full-time use. SuperPi 1M is 32s at this speed.

I haven't clocked the Mushkin lvl 1 up much yet, but its at 222MHz (using divider) and 2-3-3-5 right now stable. The sticks won't make it to the next divider step (240MHz) at these speeds, so a fair bit of tweaking awaits.

Despite the lower max OC of my Opteron compared to other steppings I'm still pretty pleased with it - paid some $345 OEM from Monarch a couple of weeks ago. With a 7800GT at 478/1.09 I'm up to 7860 3DMarks and can easily play FEAR at 1600*1200 with AA/AF. Sounds great to me for a reasonably priced proc/video card.

Elias said:
My Opteron 170 0543TPMW doesn't quite make it to 2.7 - highest I can get is 2.686 at 1.5V BIOS setting (although CPUz and SmartGuardian both report 1.47V). The max temp under 2x Prime load is 43 degrees with a Scythe Ninja and 1/2 max speed Silverstone 120mm fan. I'm keeping it at 2.67 for full-time use. SuperPi 1M is 32s at this speed.

I haven't clocked the Mushkin lvl 1 up much yet, but its at 222MHz (using divider) and 2-3-3-5 right now stable. The sticks won't make it to the next divider step (240MHz) at these speeds, so a fair bit of tweaking awaits.

Despite the lower max OC of my Opteron compared to other steppings I'm still pretty pleased with it - paid some $345 OEM from Monarch a couple of weeks ago. With a 7800GT at 478/1.09 I'm up to 7860 3DMarks and can easily play FEAR at 1600*1200 with AA/AF. Sounds great to me for a reasonably priced proc/video card.

Yeah I've got the exact same stepping and I hit a wall at 2.65 even under water cooling. Got to 2.65 at 1.5 but it took 1.55 just to get up to 2.67 so right now I've dropped to my 24/7 of 2.63 which is as high as my ram will go on this divider right now.

^^^ I'm still happy with this dud of a dual-core Opteron ;)

Actually I'm loving it. And I'm glad to see that you're hitting the same wall with this stepping - I was tempted to give it a bit more voltage to see if it would give a few more megahertz.

I tried for 2.8ghz on my 543TPMW. Core 0 fails in about 10 mins. I tried up to 1.608v and no go. Looks like 2.7ghz at 1.5v will be my daily speed. I wonder if unlidding it would help a lot?

HybridHB said:
I tried for 2.8ghz on my 543TPMW. Core 0 fails in about 10 mins. I tried up to 1.608v and no go. Looks like 2.7ghz at 1.5v will be my daily speed. I wonder if unlidding it would help a lot?

It drops the temps by about 6 - 10C but doesn't really help OCing ability.

Has anyone else gotten a 0546 XPMW (170)? Haven't seen many around here or xtremesystems forums... Anyway, I'm running at 2.7 at 1.475v (bios) and 1.44v (reported). Dual-primed overnight, very stable. Load temps are 38-39C (Big Typhoon). I tried 2.8, and one core would fail after a few minutes of priming, but I only had the voltage up to 1.5 (bios). I'm not sure I want to put it any higher than that for everyday use. How much higher could I put the voltage and not affect longevity?

i got the same stepping .. right now im at 2500 default volts .. seems core 0 sucks .. it always fails after 2 min of prime

under cpu-z it says my opty 170 is toledo core ? i thought the 170s were Denmark ?

Inverse Doom,
Id have to say stick around the 1.55 mark, unless you are runnin' a crazy cooling setup

Expecting mine on Tuesday. It has the same steppings. I will post my results here once I get it and begin to see what it can do. Anyhow, good luck, and hoping will at least hit 2.7 stable.

Alright, got the opty 170 up to 2.75 ghz at 1.55v. Prime stable for 10 hours before i stopped it.

LRD said:
Expecting mine on Tuesday. It has the same steppings. I will post my results here once I get it and begin to see what it can do. Anyhow, good luck, and hoping will at least hit 2.7 stable.

How do you know the details of your processor if you don't have it yet?

I'm expecting an Opteron 170 0541 sometime this week, anybody have any overclocking results with those? I haven't seen too many on here, I understand they aren't the best though :(

What could I expect with that stepping?

DR. X I ordered it from dave at flickerdown.com He first let me know what steppings he had and whether i wanted one. LRD

CCBWE 165 0546 ordered from Monarch on 12/20 finally installed (I was away for 2 weeks)

Running bone stock (only been installed for 11 hours now) prime stable 9 hours and counting...

xPat_Racing said:
Opty 170 0541 running at 2700 @ 1.55 (as reported by Smartguardian) prime stable for +9hr
Nice result, but the voltage seems a bit high. Is that on air?

Opteron 165 0546MPMW running at 2800 at 1.587V (set in BIOS) Prime95 stable for a few hours (all I care about). This is probably higher than I'm going to run it long term, but temps are no more than 40C load (it's cold down in my basement). Next step is to get RAM up to speed.

Just ordered a 170 from zzf. I'll let you know what I get. Doesn't really matter to me as all I'm looking for is ~2.4 which it seems I should get with any of them.

WCES Ryan said:
Nice result, but the voltage seems a bit high. Is that on air?

No it's on water. Thermaltake Bigwater SE not very good water but it idles around 24 and load is around 38, room temp is 22 ish. Temps are with the rad fan runing at it's slowest speed.

Went ahead and ordered a 170 from zipzoomfly for $400 shipped, since I already ordered everyting else.

Looking for at least 2.6, anything above that is a plus. I will be using water cooling.

Think I have finally figured out my problem and I think it is the PWMIC or what ever they are called, my symptoms are as follows:

I can run up to about 2.4 ghz stable no problem, however 2.5 ghz plus and I get random reboot.

If I do get into windows it is somewhat stable, using clockgen I can adjust fsb up to about 275 with stability and dual prime however again I will get random reboots, when I do reboot I can not turn the PC back on unless I wait about 10 minutes.

I have tried multiple PSU's and till get same symptoms, and the PWMIC things feel very warm to the touch. How do people cool these things?

Back