post your cinebench r15 scores please...just want to see were i stand

OpenGL 124.5 fps
CPU 822 cb
CPU single core 170

stock 4790k

Last edited:
Jealous of that SR-2 Skyscraper....I just about decided to grab one that was available on ebay earlier along with another 5670 just for kicks and giggles. Not really sure what route I'm going to go in the future though, I have intentions of saying the heck with it and just going mini-ITX from now on, no more monsters (my NCASE M1 is still sitting unmolested in it's box awaiting some form of hardware). However, if the octa-core Haswell-E chips seem to clock really well that would probably entice me.

I'm curious,

What is it about the LGA1366 Xeon's that made those of you who use them pick them over consumer LGA1366 parts? Do they clock higher?

at this moment? cheaper than i7 gulftown, those xeon chips have lower TDP but also have a higher Tcase which let to run at more temperature than for example a 980X they tend to run cooler thats mean more overclock headroom...

Zarathustra[H];1041013635 said:
I'm curious,

What is it about the LGA1366 Xeon's that made those of you who use them pick them over consumer LGA1366 parts? Do they clock higher?

Yeah its a killer deal right now. Speaking just for myself. I've been running a i7 920 D0 for many years now. Heard about these xeon's so I made the move. Basically for $70 I took myself from 4Ghz quad to 4.4Ghz hexa. So yes they do OC higher and run cool/need less voltage for same speed as i7. There truly isn't a better value right now. You even have some people debating whether to get 5 year old mobos off ebay just so they can drop a $70 cpu in there. At 4.4Ghz my xeon out benches a stock 3930k or 4770k in most things. Now sure those cpus can be OC'd to re-take the lead but compare the $70 pricepoint for my cpu versus the cost of the 4770k [5x] or the 3930 [6-7x].
Never said a 5 year old cpu would be king of the castle, but we're at least competitive on the cheap.
In this specific benchmark as you see the OC'd Xeon is just ahead of the 4770k, behind your newer hexa of course but anything i5 is destroyed. Again not every benchmark tool is the same margin but there's a reason so many guys clinging to their x58 i7 setups are making the move. Its too good to pass by

at this moment? cheaper than i7 gulftown, those xeon chips have lower TDP but also have a higher Tcase which let to run at more temperature than for example a 980X they tend to run cooler thats mean more overclock headroom...

Yeah its a killer deal right now. Speaking just for myself. I've been running a i7 920 D0 for many years now. Heard about these xeon's so I made the move. Basically for $70 I took myself from 4Ghz quad to 4.4Ghz hexa. So yes they do OC higher and run cool/need less voltage for same speed as i7. There truly isn't a better value right now. You even have some people debating whether to get 5 year old mobos off ebay just so they can drop a $70 cpu in there. At 4.4Ghz my xeon out benches a stock 3930k or 4770k in most things. Now sure those cpus can be OC'd to re-take the lead but compare the $70 pricepoint for my cpu versus the cost of the 4770k [5x] or the 3930 [6-7x].
Never said a 5 year old cpu would be king of the castle, but we're at least competitive on the cheap.
In this specific benchmark as you see the OC'd Xeon is just ahead of the 4770k, behind your newer hexa of course but anything i5 is destroyed. Again not every benchmark tool is the same margin but there's a reason so many guys clinging to their x58 i7 setups are making the move. Its too good to pass by

That is pretty awesome. I had no idea the Xeons depreciated so much faster than the consumer hexas.

Seems like a fantastic bang for the buck.

I wonder if the same thing will happen with Xeon E5 octacores (or decacores or dodecacores) when they start coming off lease...

Last edited:
Zarathustra[H];1041013062 said:
OK.

I'll bite.

Intel Core i7-3930k @ 5.0 Ghz (not sure why it's reading the 3.2Ghz base clock instead of the 5Ghz turbo clock...)

14684688808_9a7d48e1f3_o.jpg

14868844464_36ef8ed653_o.jpg

It's 24/7 stable at 5.0 ghz, but if I spent more time tweaking, I could probably get a little bit more out of it. Cooling is one of the ultra rare 180mm sealed water coolers.

Not bad for a CPU I bought almost 3 years ago (got mine right at launch of SB-E).

Interesting thing is, bios updates over time have just improved overclocking. When I first got it, it wasn't stable over 4.6

There really is little reason to upgrade CPU's these days, they just last so long.

For shits and giggles I also ran it on my new server I am in the process of setting up:

14877877026_deb2fb3684_b.jpg

The good old EVGA SR-2 can still produce good scores :)

I have heard lots of stories of troublesome SR-2 motherboards not liking BCLK over 175.
Lucky enough its nothing I have noticed.

x56704400cinebench.jpg

impressive how much power does this system use when under full load?

What is the Tcase on the xeon's?

Coretemp shows 101c for my 970.

The lower TDP only matters if you guys keep them stock which no one here is doing.

Most people are buying them for price its an outstanding deal if your still sitting on 45nm bloomfield.

As for overclocking headroom from what i've seen its still a chip lottery regardless of xeon or Gulftown.

The lower TDP only matters if you guys keep them stock which no one here is doing.

Most people are buying them for price its an outstanding deal if your still sitting on 45nm bloomfield.

As for overclocking headroom from what i've seen its still a chip lottery regardless of xeon or Gulftown.

That is information that I have had a rather difficult time finding for my dual L5640's. Desktop bloomfields could go up to 100C, but the only (unofficial) sources I have found for my low power Xeons say 69.2C or something like that, which seems a bit low...

The X Xeons (performance) may have higher numbers than the L (low power) Xeon's though.

Zarathustra[H];1041031244 said:
That is information that I have had a rather difficult time finding for my dual L5640's. Desktop bloomfields could go up to 100C, but the only (unofficial) sources I have found for my low power Xeons say 69.2C or something like that, which seems a bit low...

The X Xeons (performance) may have higher numbers than the L (low power) Xeon's though.

If you run and install Coretemp what does it show for your tjmax?

tcase its not the same as tjunction, Tjunction its the DTS temperature, the tjmax its the maximum tjunction temperature or trigger point where the chip will throttle the cores.. the tcase its the temperature inside the lid of the chip or the internal chip die temperature. in core temp it show the tjmax but no the tcase.. which in for example its 81.3C with a 95W TDP while your 970 can go up to 61.7C with a 130W TDP... and i can assure that in same overclock the xeon will require less voltage and will produce less heat and not only that they can overclock higher even with for example the 970 have a higher base clock than a X5670..

Dual E5 2630 v2 Xeon's on an Asus Z9PE-D8 WS motherboard. I haven't messed around with overclocking, so everything is currently running at stock speeds. I probably could have scored higher if I wasn't processing files in the background. :rolleyes:

Here's my stocker dual Opteron 6180SE setup... on Supermicro H8QGi-F.

image_id_1219354.bmp

looking forward to adding another two processors soon.

[edit - well i mistakenly posted this on this intel thread :( oh well i'll leave it up as a CB 11.5 datapoint anyways... hope you Intel folks don't mind]

latest score for my quad opty setup: 3112cb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rurcanubh0o

or the "official" run over on hwbot.

1267515.jpg

Last edited:
Impressive score but for 48x cores not that impressive 2x 5960x would beat that score that's 16x cores vs 48x

no reason to be negative....all things considered very nice for amd setup.....i personally have never seen an amd setup with that much power (not all of us can afford the newest greatest)
i wonder what apps could make use of that many cores,,,,cause i think its way cool:D Well done rvborgh

Thanks for your compliments even though i mistakenly posted here.

These are Magny Cours ES processors - basically 48 K10 cores contained within 8 Istanbul chips - 2009 vintage AMD tech. Some have taken these up further i think... probably at the far end could hit 3800-3900cb... at 3.8 GHz... but the power usage would be nuts... probably close to 1400w during a run (lasting around 8-9 seconds to finish this benchmark) which is a bit insane (and how reliable would it be at those speeds?). At 3 GHz during this run... it was using around 900w.

As for what can use that many cores... i'll be using it for a bit of experimentation in that regard :D

no reason to be negative....all things considered very nice for amd setup.....i personally have never seen an amd setup with that much power (not all of us can afford the newest greatest)
i wonder what apps could make use of that many cores,,,,cause i think its way cool:D Well done rvborgh

Last edited:
4770k / z87 / 32gb 1866 w/ a ramdisk open / stock clocks, chrome & a few other tasks open.
krQ3kFf.jpg

I know LOL.

I tinkered with overclocking it some but it barely broke 4ghz without it becoming unstable. temps in the high 70's. I have the coolermaster 212 cpu cooler. Im thinking about upgrading to one of the corsair sealed watercooling setups and then maybe giving it another go.

Back