• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Post your audio configurations.

Joined
Jul 30, 2004
Messages
592
I have several audio configurations, in a few rooms...

My main pc (will) have Chaintech av710's, and currently has Logitech Z2300's.
I use Creative T2900's with my old Creative mp3 player as sort of an 'alarm clock' and sound system, when away from the pc....
My Ipod has Sennheiser PX-100's.
And my backup pc....... has crap old Labtec speakers :-\.

What about you?
 
Esi Juli@ soundcard -> Pioneer SA-610 stereo amplifier -> Sennheiser PX-100 or HD595 or Sony floor speakers. Also using Zen Micro + PX-100 as portable...
 
at desk
X-FI xtreme music --> MisterX buffered cmoy --> (sennheiser HD212-Pros or Shure e2c)
or
X-FI xtreme music --> ALMX5021's

Mobile
Muvo N200 --> MisterX buffered cmoy --> (sennheiser HD212-Pros or Shure e2c)

rarely use the senns outside of computer anymore, <3 the shures.

got some Beyer DT770's coming for xmas to..:D w00t
 
See Sig. Soon to get a Non oversampling DAC or a Tube Amp, or both...not sure yet :)

I am also loving my AKG 240s with the foam pads removed. Its like a different headphone altogether.
 
The sig is my main profile. I also have z560s connected to my DMX, tho rarely used as my neighboor is a bitch
 
Soundblaster Audigy2 -> Harman Kardon DPR1001 -> Infinity Modulus Satts and Infinity Interlude 12" powered sub
 
Shitty onboard Ultra-D sound -> NAD T753 -> cheap KLH speakers in the front and Cambridge Soundworks in the back

One of these things is not like the others...

I'm working on some new main speakers, completely from scratch, cost about $1000 for the parts. I'm not getting a new soundcard 'til they come in 1x PCI-E. PCI soundcards always crackle for me with this board.



Car:
Deck: Eclipse 54410 (CD player, 2001 or 2002, I think)
Fronts: MB Quart DKD-113 5.25" coaxials
Rears: MB Quart DKE-169 6x9" coaxials
Subs: 2 JL Audio 12W6 (not v2)
Rear amp (will be front when I feel like wiring for it): Eclipse 3620
Sub amp: Planet Audio P1250D
 
Creative Audigy 1 Gamer (yes i still have this old p.o.s.) and a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX speaker system...
 
Well, I do most of my serious listening / media watching through my home theater (networked to my PC and NAS box) which consists of:

Speakers: [Athena AS-C1] + 2x [Athena AS-B2] + 4x [Athena S.5] + [Athena AS-P4000]... (7.1ch w00t!)
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-D814-S
Sources: Pioneer DV-588A-S, XBOX Media Center.

The rest of the time I use my computer with either my headphones or my 5.1 stereo:

Source: Audigy 2 ZS
Headphones: Mister X Pimeta, Sennheiser HD280Pro
Speakers: Sony 5.1 minisystem with an Athena C.5 center and an AS-P300 Subwoofer

Both speaker systems can easily shake things off of flat surfaces but still sound crisp and distortion-free. :D
 
I have a Marantz SR4500 paired with 2x Polk R15s, 2x Polk R30s, 1x Polk CS1, and 1x Dayton 10". Awesome 5.1 setup for like $600usd brand new!
 
lowside67 said:
I have a Marantz SR4500 paired with 2x Polk R15s, 2x Polk R30s, 1x Polk CS1, and 1x Dayton 10". Awesome 5.1 setup for like $600usd brand new!
Nice job :) I like the direction you went with that one.
 
PC: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum > cMoy > Sennheiser HD 595
Home: RCA RT2580 630W 5.1 Receiver > Sony DVP NC675P > RCA Front/Center/Rear/Sub
Mobile: Nothing
 
PC: Foobar > Sound blaster live! 24 bit > Creative P580 / Creative HN-505

Mobile: Creative Zen Micro > cmoy amp (building it currently) > Koss portaPro

In the future I'm planning to buy a better soundcard and some Audio Technica ATH-A500 or one of the higher models for gaming and music listening.
 
Integrated 8.1 w/ Logitech x-530. Will probably get Creative Audigy Z2 (or X-Fi if I have enough) after I get a 7800gt.
 
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music-->Pioneer VSX-D711, Customs on the Front--> Advent 1008s on the rear, Sony Center and Customized Sub. Old HP890 headphones.
 
Asus A8N-SLI premium onboard audio --> Grado SR-80 headphones. (http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/sr80.htm - Nice sound on the cheap! I can't belive I don't see other people in here talking about grado)

Yeah, I need to get a sound card, but I've been lazy about it since this is the first mobo that's onboard sound hasent made my ears bleed. No whine, ho hiss, no buzz, no distortion. The audigy 1 on my last computer had a bit of whine and hiss.)

Old-school game computer -> 486 66mhz w/soundblaster AWE32 soundcard. Yeah, you know the one. The FULL LENGH 16 bit ISA beast of a card with two 4mb 30pin simms for midi sound samples. Paired this with some original, small boxy looking creative computer speakers (remember when external computer speakers were novel?) for that authentic tinny sound.
 
What, exactly, does 'sound stage' mean?
I don't mean to flame, but the audio industry is filled with marketspeak non-words. If someone says so and so's product has a good sound stage, what does that mean?

The only reason I don't like the grado's for nonstop gaming is that they arent the most comfortable headphones in the world if you want to wear them for 4 hours at a time. Otherwise, II've found they are quite good for picking out the distant footseps of those mean 'ol CT buzzkills that come to difuse your bomb.
 
I have x-fi xtrememusic > onkyo tx-sr503 receiver > acoustic-research hc6 speakers. audio-technica ath-a900 headphones. Thinking about upgrading to a nicer system, but unsure.
 
sound stage is how it presents the sound spatially. In most IEM's for instance the soudn stage is very narrow; with the music seemingly originating from within your head. On most open headphones the sound stage is fairly open, where the sound seemingly originates off to the sides more realistically. For gamign headphones; the more open the sound stage the better usually; which is one of the reasons the Beyer DT770's get such high recomendation for gaming (one of the few closed that produce good open sound stage, almost excessive bass doesnt hurt either really)
 
PC: out of comission right now, planning next upgrade. currently using laptop as desktop. X-Fi Extreme Music sitting on the side.

Laptop: FOOBAR2000 w/ Kernel Streaming -->Onboard sound that has built in optical output (woot!)-->Harman Kardon DPR 2005--> Onix ELT LRS hooked up with ELT PBS.

Mobile: Have a couple of music players (mp3, cd, personal media player, Nintendo DS)--> Shure E3C (looking to upgrade)
 
Main listening: Harman Kardon AVR55, B&W DM220 Mointors, DBX DX-5 CD Player

PC Audio: Audigy Platinum-> Marantz SR4000, Yamaha KX-200U, Technics, SL-P 350 CD, Realistic 10x2 band EQ, B&W DM 302 Monitors

Aux Equipment: Yamaha A-720, Advent Legacy Monitors
 
Worminater said:
sound stage is how it presents the sound spatially. In most IEM's for instance the soudn stage is very narrow; with the music seemingly originating from within your head. On most open headphones the sound stage is fairly open, where the sound seemingly originates off to the sides more realistically. For gamign headphones; the more open the sound stage the better usually; which is one of the reasons the Beyer DT770's get such high recomendation for gaming (one of the few closed that produce good open sound stage, almost excessive bass doesnt hurt either really)

A900s also
 
What, exactly, does 'sound stage' mean?
I don't mean to flame, but the audio industry is filled with marketspeak non-words. If someone says so and so's product has a good sound stage, what does that mean?

Soundstage also refers to the depth and richness of an audio recording (usually referring to the playback process). According to audiophiles, the quality of the playback is very much dependent on how one is able to pick out different instruments, voices, vocal parts, etc. exactly where they are located on an imaginary 2D or 3D field. This can enhance not only the listener's involvement in the recording but also their overall perception of the stage.


This is basically just some hoop-la playing off of a real sound stage, which is a part of a movie studio used in film/TV production.
 
mrporky said:
What, exactly, does 'sound stage' mean?
I don't mean to flame, but the audio industry is filled with marketspeak non-words. If someone says so and so's product has a good sound stage, what does that mean?

I was the same way as you, when people threw out all of these terms I thought they were full of it. Sound stage is how the sound relates to you spacially. How far it sounds away. My first "real" headphones, the Senn 595s had a large soundstage and a 3D effect where music seemed to come from in front or behind sometimes. My current headphones, the Sony SA5000 don't have the same 3D imaging really in music, it feels closer to your head.

My other pair of headphones, the AKG 240s at first had a very small sound stage but after removing the rather thick foam pads from the drivers it opened up and it feels like sound is close to you but surrounding you up and down your head.

Now this all sounds kind of hoaky but when I wanted to sell my 595s I left a friend borrow them and he told me he would take them after only a couple of hours and said "This is great, it sounds like the music is surrounding my head"
 
PC in sig --> Audigy 2 connected to Logitech x-530 speakers with mounted rear channels.
lappy --> Whatever crap it comes with as I use it with headphones
Ipod mini 2 gen 4GB
Server serving 45 gigs of music which I own all of it....


I love it :)
 
Back
Top