• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Post contest discussion- Share your thoughts

Viper87227

Fully [H]
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
18,017
In recent discussion with p[H], he gave me the idea of a post-contest discussion thread, and I thought it was a great idea. This is your chance for some input. Tell me what you liked, didn't like, what could be done different/better, ect. If you disagreed with something, be brutally honest. With more feedback, future contets will only get better.
 
Maybe the next one could be a equal oppertunity raffel. Some could afford the 10 entries and some couldn't. I think it'd be cool if everyone had an equal chance to win. I know you have to cover the costs, but there has to be a way to do it.

 
chileman said:
Maybe the next one could be a equal oppertunity raffel. Some could afford the 10 entries and some couldn't. I think it'd be cool if everyone had an equal chance to win. I know you have to cover the costs, but there has to be a way to do it.



That was actually one of the toughest decisions I made. I am sure you remember the first contest, which was more even for everyone... but something about getting $600 from ~15 members, and having something like 130 members enter... It just didn't seem fair. I wen't with the raffel so that people woudln't freeload. A "pay to play" sort of look if you will. I couldn't really think of another way to do it.

However, as per the point of this thread, I am open to discussion. If you'd like to formulate an idea you think is better, feel free, and you may just see it happen in the future ;)
 
I liked winning. So I think it should be mandatory that I win each contest from here on out. Everybody with me? :D ;) :p :cool:

Oldbenwa
 
I think the contest went great. Low overhead for quite a few GHz for the [H]orde. I could see something to the effect of having a "Lowbie" drawing. Something for people who don't have a lot of folding power or a low PPD. It is easier for me to put money into this, but for people who can't get a new system a few times a year, this might be a way to up their production. I mean look at mage, :p He's kicking ass right now with all his CPU goodness. I don't think he needs anymore help. Lets get the lowbies involved and give them more power. This suggestion is not to be derogitory to anyone here. (my CYOA)

Also, we could have a parts drive to help cover cost. Have one of our Ebay specialists here sell some older or less used parts for cash for a newer system. Just an idea.

I have seen places do the paypal thing where people give like $2 a month to something. You would almost have to have a subteam setup for that. It seems easier for me to do that rather than dropping $50 all at once. Again, a suggestion.

I liked this contest, it was fun. Well done! :D
 
I've got two ideas:

First, I'd consider different spacing for these, instead of 3 boxen at once, maybe look at a quaterly contest, say 4 times a year. That way you've got a 3 month cycle and there's constant activity throughout the year when it pertains to prizes.

Second, continued involvement with the gauntlets and races. I think having a freebie entry up for grabs in the MVN run-offs helped perk some interest and I'd like to see that continue.

All in all though, I think you did a wonderful job! :)

 
All in all I think it went well... I agree with Viper that the first contest was predominently funded by a few for the majority.... and this contest was more equally funded by all...

I dont' think we can ever make a contest where everyone is 100% happy (Let's face it... I didn't win, and so I'm not 100% happy.... :D BTW, I'm still taking donations for the "Help Randy get his life started Fund" :D ).... But I know that the 3 PCs given away went to good "homes" and they will fold for as long as their little transistors can function...

Viper has done a phenomenal job of putting together these competitions and bringing in new blood for the [H]orde!

The only changes I would make would be to make the next contest "different".... who wants to have the same competition over and over and over... The core can be the same, but different is always better ;)


Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

 
ICE_9 said:
but for people who can't get a new system a few times a year, this might be a way to up their production. I mean look at mage, :p He's kicking ass right now with all his CPU goodness. I don't think he needs anymore help. Lets get the lowbies involved and give them more power.
The reason I have 39 CPUs and not 3 is that someone is folding bigtime under my name. Otherwise I'd be one of the "lowbies" you mentioned. I haven't bought a "new" new computer in 3 years now, my main box is a p4 2.4c on a DFI pro875 rev. a, with 512 mb of memory. *I* have 4.266 gHz folding for the [H]orde, someone else has at least 40ish.

Like I said, this sorta takes the fun out of milestones. :(

In terms of the contest, I'd just like to get them going on a more continuous basis - maybe the $2 a month someone mentioned? A drawing every month or two, and as long as it stays funded it can keep going. Maybe once in a while wait 3/4 months and then give away an uberfolder.

 
Oh, one addition I just thought of, most contest have provisions for the "win one, and your done" scenario. Do you have any sort of method for keeping people from winning a boxen over and over? I'd suggest like a 6 month moratorium from winning prizes, or similar prizes twice in a set amount of time or something.

 
OSUguy98 said:
The only changes I would make would be to make the next contest "different".... who wants to have the same competition over and over and over... The core can be the same, but different is always better ;)


Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

Have you read our minds??? ;)
 
p[H]ant0m said:
Oh, one addition I just thought of, most contest have provisions for the "win one, and your done" scenario. Do you have any sort of method for keeping people from winning a boxen over and over? I'd suggest like a 6 month moratorium from winning prizes, or similar prizes twice in a set amount of time or something.

I agree...If you win, you should be ineligible for like a year or something.
 
OSUguy98 said:
The only changes I would make would be to make the next contest "different".... who wants to have the same competition over and over and over... The core can be the same, but different is always better ;)

How about completely different from the same ol formula? ;)

 
The [H]ordeBowl, it was born out of a mutual desire between K*, Viper, and myself to throw a huge spin on the same old formula. I know that details haven't been in abundance, but that'll be changing later this week.

Run offs are fun, but I really think we're headed in the right direction to provide something new for you guys that doesn't just involve more points and stuff like that. :cool:

 
agreed... I think the [H]orde Bowl will be great (only a few concerns with it, which we talked about in the other thread)..... I think we're developing a great base for creating and maintaining interest in Folding for the [H]orde and Folding in general... I think all these contests are great, the only concern I have (with contests in general) is that we don't step on each other's toes... we don't need competition between the contests (so-to-say)...

I think if we all get together and create a timeline of contests, the when, how long,etc that we could have something going on at all times... Whether it be a Fantasy Folding thing, a gauntlet, a raffle, whatever... variety keeps interest :D Maybe we need to set up a "committee" of sorts to keep track of, come up with ideas for, plan, administer,etc these contests?


Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

 
p[H]ant0m said:
Oh, one addition I just thought of, most contest have provisions for the "win one, and your done" scenario. Do you have any sort of method for keeping people from winning a boxen over and over? I'd suggest like a 6 month moratorium from winning prizes, or similar prizes twice in a set amount of time or something.



Biggest problem I see with this is that when you win you don't contribute again until your time is up. I put $50 towards Viper's contest and something towards someone else's contest (I don't remember who) and I will continue to do so as long as I have funds even if I win (which I never do :) ) simply because it makes the community stronger. But some folks just won't see it that way

 
Tormond said:
Biggest problem I see with this is that when you win you don't contribute again until your time is up. I put $50 towards Viper's contest and something towards someone else's contest (I don't remember who) and I will continue to do so as long as I have funds even if I win (which I never do :) ) simply because it makes the community stronger. But some folks just won't see it that way



This was my thinking in not saying winners from the first contest cannot enter. As it stands, the only person that won last time that entered was MN_Scout, and he did not win, but you can bet the money he put into the pot was put to good use. It has always been than someone, obviously, cannot win twice in the same contest, but cutting them out for the next one I don't know if I like.
 
Well I think depending on how the contests end up spaced out, it becomes a non-issue. Just throwing the idea out there. I think during this last contest though, if you won one of the first 2 boxen, you weren't elidgible for any additional ones correct?

 
p[H]ant0m said:
Well I think depending on how the contests end up spaced out, it becomes a non-issue. Just throwing the idea out there. I think during this last contest though, if you won one of the first 2 boxen, you weren't elidgible for any additional ones correct?

Yup. I'm pretty sure thats how it was.

I semi-like the idea if you win one contest for a full computer, you can't win another in that year or whatever... just so that way others get a chance to win as well.. some people just have too much damn luck for their own good! :D
 
1) The raffle idea is great. It's like a geek lottery funded by the geeks.
2) As a raffle, I don't think that anyone should be excluded, whether you won the last one or not.
3) Quarterly draws instead of 3 at a time seems like a nice idea.
4) Midnight announcements seems too late. Between 7 to 9 PM after all time zones are off of work might be better.
5) Pulling the names in front of a webcam would also be cool. Adds to the anticipation.
6) $1, $5, $10, it dosent matter. Im sure the quality of the machine will be proportionate to the cost of entry.
7) Pics of the machines before the start of the raffle will help me convice my wife to split with the cash.
 
upriverpaddler said:
1) The raffle idea is great. It's like a geek lottery funded by the geeks.
2) As a raffle, I don't think that anyone should be excluded, whether you won the last one or not.
3) Quarterly draws instead of 3 at a time seems like a nice idea.
4) Midnight announcements seems too late. Between 7 to 9 PM after all time zones are off of work might be better.
5) Pulling the names in front of a webcam would also be cool. Adds to the anticipation.
6) $1, $5, $10, it dosent matter. Im sure the quality of the machine will be proportionate to the cost of entry.
7) Pics of the machines before the start of the raffle will help me convice my wife to split with the cash.


3) I like this idea also...something I will concider in the future.
4) Also concidred, and will probably change.
5) No webcam :(
7) Unfortunitly, I don't ahve the money to front to buy the prize(s) before the contest starts, so not much I can do here.
 
upriverpaddler said:
1) The raffle idea is great. It's like a geek lottery funded by the geeks.
2) As a raffle, I don't think that anyone should be excluded, whether you won the last one or not.
3) Quarterly draws instead of 3 at a time seems like a nice idea.
4) Midnight announcements seems too late. Between 7 to 9 PM after all time zones are off of work might be better.
5) Pulling the names in front of a webcam would also be cool. Adds to the anticipation.
6) $1, $5, $10, it dosent matter. Im sure the quality of the machine will be proportionate to the cost of entry.
7) Pics of the machines before the start of the raffle will help me convice my wife to split with the cash.
I would like to address a few of these

3) I concur.
4) Stay up, it is worth it! :p
5) Viper, buy a webcam...do NOW!
6) Would the members of the [H]orde really be interested in a high dollar raffle?
7) This isn't possible since we use the money gathered during the raffle to build the machines....unless the previous contest pays for the next, I don't see how to get around this.
 
upriverpaddler said:
6) $1, $5, $10, it dosent matter. Im sure the quality of the machine will be proportionate to the cost of entry.
7) Pics of the machines before the start of the raffle will help me convice my wife to split with the cash.

The only problem with getting the pic beforehand is cost... Do you really want to buy a whole system tomorrow and have it raffled off/etc 4 months from now and hope you recoup your investment? or do you say "we're having a raffle giving away a PC (or two)... the speed of which depends on your donations!" Basically, I can't afford to buy a new system and hope to get my money back based on your donations, I don't know of anyone here who would be willing to throw down $300-500 for a system for giveaway and "hope" to get most of that investment back....

The quality/speed of the folder would be directly proportional to the number of people entering and the amount they enter for... If all 1466 active members donated $1, we'd be set for some great folders for giveaway..... but only 10-15% of us are active in the forum and active in the contests.... so the investment per person would have to be 10 or 15 times just to get the same investment....

edit---viper and Amto beat me to it... but yeah.... what they said :D


Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

 
Just some dribblings form a guy who really should be working....

I think contests can fall under 3 categories-

1. Attract new folks
2. Spur on existing folks to push harder
3. Just to get more GZH into the field for the [H]

Per 1. This is important to grow the team. Nuff said I guess. More folk=more WU’s done=stomp OCAU=cure something errr another

Per 2. For me this is important. If I can talk a little more trash (maybe I don’t need help in this department after all) I’m more willing to stay late at work and kick start some more machines/light up that boxen which is not folding now ect. Just to keep up enthusiasm/spark interest again (maybe it’s just me, low attention span)

Per 3. If it’s a nice machine and not a flat out crapper *most* folks would be into it. However, for some folks the last thing they need is another boxen (college kids ect). More Gzh is always good, but for some it might not be the best route.

Can one contest cover all three of these aspects? I’m not sure, I doubt it though.

Per 1. Maybe it does not have to be 100% folding related prize? For example, say someone here worked at an Outback Steakhouse restaurant and had some gift certificates this could work. Maybe a life time subscription to GenMay sub forum here? Just kicking out ideas here, everyone eats and like too look at porn.

Per 2. For me you could have a contest of pin the tale on the donkey an as long as I could bash Moose, it’s all good. Short attention span with low standards...hummm

Per 3. Tough, it always comes down to money.

Maybe just a blend of these is in order? I say just keep’em coming either way. RE> Money and donations from the few covering the majority. Don’t sweat this; the folks who gave did so of their own free will. Some of the folks here are young poor bastards, some are old poor bastards (BillR...gonna get in trouble over that one...kidding). When I was 16, second to the last thing I’d have been doing was folding and the last thing was giving money to someone else. Some guys here own their own company and are finically secure, just don’t sweat this part.

Ok, enough for now. I stayed out of the last contest discussions for the most part for reasons neither here nor there.

My .02
 
so I post and you all go quiet.... I see how this works
 
AtomicMoose said:
6) Would the members of the [H]orde really be interested in a high dollar raffle?

I would. I can see buying a $20 raffle ticket 4 times a year, for the chance to win a NICE system. Of course the keyword being nice. Nice system stats and matching bezels.
 
upriverpaddler said:
I would. I can see buying a $20 raffle ticket 4 times a year, for the chance to win a NICE system. Of course the keyword being nice. Nice system stats and matching bezels.


I'd like to see some dual core action go out of here.
 
I'd definately be up for a higher dollar raffle... dual core goodness abounds... feel free to throw it at me :D That's not to say that EVERY contest should be a $25 entry fee/etc... but higher end systems will be more interest.....

The original goal of that last cost Viper did was to give 2 mediocre folders away, and one massive folding/gaming PC....


Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

 
Hmm...seems to be alot of favor in the high dollar raffle... It's somthing I am going to seriously concider, though i can safely say you wont be seeing anything for a while. I'm putting all my attention to the [H]ordeBowl for now.
 
I agree with you there Viper.... like I said before... I don't think we should step on each other's toes with contests..... that's why I suggested a timeline or a committee to help plan things.... Maybe we could start pimping your next contest at the beginning of the year, but not start it until after Feb 5th when the Hard bowl ends... that kind of thing......


Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

 
Back
Top