Possibly the coolest computer room on earth

How old are those kids? Elementary school? All we had in school when I was that young was an Apple we used to play Oregon Trail...

Deputy head Gwen Gibson said: “It really captures the children’s imagination. They half expect Captain Kirk to walk in.”
Yes...I'm very sure the elementary school kids expect Kirk to walk in...or even know who he is for that matter.

Apple's? wowsers... all i remember in elementary school were those TI computers with funky looking cartridges.... one of which had

oregon trail.

Can't rememeber anything except the big ass blocky graphics (which were so cool back then :D )

another vote for oregon trail... are we voting?

if not... cast your vote anyways!

I remember playing oregon trail in computer class, we would get in so much trouble if we actually shot and killed the buffalo. Our teacher was psycho. :D

Okay, so everyone did the Oregon Trail thing.

What about cool looking computer labs?

OMFG, thats makes every single classroom I had pure utter shit. Damnit, I'd go back to college if everyone was like that or Star Wars themed

Jesu...s. Oregon Trail....I always ran outa damn money buying useless shit at the stores and then ended up loosing a cart in the river. Never failed....

Originally posted by BobSutan
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004080398,00.html

Does anyone else have neat labs with themes or special rooms like this one?

That is very cool wish i had something like that when i was at school, Christ the school only had one pc with internet access and you were only allowed 15mins each time (it was a 33kps connection) and not even networked. i left in 99 which isn’t that long ago.

Well at least the government is putting a decent amount of money into education now.

The first thing I thought was "That's the biggest waste of taxpayer money I've ever seen". I mean come on, 70,000 pounds just for one room? Odds are maybe 2 of those kids actually knows who Kirk is and actually likes startrek (Unless they're all trekkies (like me)). But in all fairness it is really cool.

Most likely, the teacher is a startrek buff and has some pull with the school board (Why else would you wear a starfleet uniform in class?).

And Oregon Trail on the Apple kicked ass.. Stupid river and stupid snake....

Riley

Originally posted by Moros
Thats one way to ensure kids dont have sex at a young age...none of those kids will EVER have sex.

naw just put sex ed class right before or after, and let them serf teh p0rn :D

very cool class room though...

make in so...

Am I the only person who would be concerned if a middle-aged man wearing a Star Trek uniform taught my kids? :p

Originally posted by PHUNBALL
How old are those kids? Elementary school? All we had in school when I was that young was an Apple we used to play Oregon Trail...
Haha! Same here. We would always write in obscene things on the tombstones when someone died. "May God have mercy on Asswipe's soul"

Originally posted by Moros
Thats one way to ensure kids dont have sex at a young age...none of those kids will EVER have sex.

They are working on that problem too. The holodeck is supposed to be finished in 2005.... :D

Hrmm... lab looks kinda gay...

All our school labs have brand spanking new (donated of course) dell pentium 4s with LCD screens. it's very very nice. i think we have approximately 10-15 labs, with about 30 computers in each lab, not including our server labs, and our teachers comps. you guys do the math :)

Originally posted by Pixeleet

All our school labs have brand spanking new (donated of course) dell pentium 4s with LCD screens. it's very very nice. i think we have approximately 10-15 labs, with about 30 computers in each lab, not including our server labs, and our teachers comps. you guys do the math :)

You are comparing that to the bridge of the Enterprise?!?!?!? Move along ;)

What I'm wondering is where in the hell did they get the 70K to build it? I mean come on, this is only a grade school after all. And from teh looks of this they've got relatively modern computers in there (or at least they've all got LCDs).

Here is teh school's web site:
http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/rowleyhall/

I hate to say it, but how can they justify spending this much money on a STAR TREK lab? Yes, I've seen quite a few episodes, etc.. but I can't think of any good reason to have such a thing in a classroom!?! There are many better things you can spend that money on. :rolleyes:

^ I agree, with so many states suffering budget cuts including education departments how can this be justified?

Lucky for some. Your forgetting that there is a huge difference in funding between us and uk schools.

Naw, I'd rather not have all this computer stuff. For one, we can't afford Kleenex in the classrooms anymore. Teachers have to buy their own paper, markers, erasers, etc... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Retro Rex
Anybody know where to download oregon trail for windows? lol
Just get an Apple II emulator program.

*If you legally own oregon trail, download the ROM :)

Naw, I'd rather not have all this computer stuff. For one, we can't afford Kleenex in the classrooms anymore. Teachers have to buy their own paper, markers, erasers, etc... :rolleyes:
As a former teacher, this is normal in many schools. Many public districts give teachers like $100 for school supplies (for the whole year) but after that, the teachers are paying out of their own pocket. Sheesh, what a load of crap. I end up paying much more than that.

Anyway, it's a creative idea. At least it was well done.

I played Oregon Trail at my school on windows 3.1 computers. I think I played it once on a mac at school, but more often then not, it was windows 3.1 (dated myself here) However, I played The Incredible Machine on a macintosh in junior high ;) Now, I play it on windows. Coolest lab though? The one at the college I go to. Has a bunch of cisco equipment, and a fully functioning telephone center in there. You can place free phone calls in this room!

Dane

If I had this in school when I was growing up, I would have gotten along with the other kids.

Then again it would have been patterned after the Original Trek.

At least it's not designed after Voyager. :rolleyes:

Pixeleet - Were they Dell EVOs? My previous school did something like that and I had to set up nearly a hundred of these things. They were quite dependable although the back area was much too small to wedge a USB Keychain in there.... They also caught on bad floppy disks like the plague...

Oregon Trail was THE game. Did anyone choose anything other than the Banker and manage to win? And who put their enemies as the 2nd or 3rd party member because they always died first in each game?

Sweet computer lab. I wonder if they have the Alerts, or a cool earthquake machine and animated main display built into that thing... That has to be the most expensive building on campus though, at £70K...

Edit: 70K Pounds! :eek: x2

Originally posted by Tim_axe
That has to be the most expensive building on campus though, at $70K...

Don't forget that its in pounds. Today's exchange rate at my bank puts it at $133,700 :eek: You could damn near buy a house for that much!

Originally posted by BobSutan
Don't forget that its in pounds. Today's exchange rate at my bank puts it at $133,700 :eek: You could damn near buy a house for that much!

pfft. In the US maybe, houses average around £180,000 for a small one IF YOUR LUCKY now a days :(

They were p4 Dell Dimenensions... 512mb ddr ram, 40/60gb HD (can't remember). pretty nice computers for being almost free.

Oops, I guess it was Compaq... It was my workplace that upgraded to Dells, and thus the mixup...

I guess the only theme that my school went for was everything Compaq. Compaq Evo D300/500/510 with 256MB RAM & P4 - 1.6GHz? & 20GB HDD w/ Monitors across the school (150+ Workstations est.). They looked pretty cool compared to the old P1 Micron machines, but looking at the prices online ($600/$1,000+ for a 3yr old PC) I'm now supprised and think that either my school got a great deal..., or they completely blew past the cost of that Star-Trek thing. :eek:

Back