Possible to repair a popped cap w/ super glue?

kmeson

Limp Gawd
Just curious if anyone has tried repairing a SM cap by tacking it back on with superglue. Some effort would be necessary to ensure proper contact. I'd clean the contacts, slightly extend them, place a few small dabs of superglue (center + corners), and press onto the board. I've run through the process a few times and think I can accomplish it. It would be nice to know of any successes or failures.

BTW it's for a P35-DQ6 board w/ a Q6600 and 8gig xms2-6400 (ddr2-800). My other option is to find a replacement, recommendations welcome.

I don't think glue will correct the capacitance of a popped capacitor.

If a cap pops, it's kaput. Simple as that. The only way you can fix it is by replacing it.

Yes, I'm aware of the proper method. My soldering iron tip is too large, won't fit the region of the board, and I'd likely need a large magnifying glass. Frankly if I were to goto my local Fry's to get the proper equipment I'd step out with a new board, and most likely it would be cheaper than the time I'd invest in repairing.

Also it is rather silly to glue the contacts. Perhaps you missed the :D ? The cap is surface mount, by glueing the base and extending the contacts outward to the board I can press the base to the board and be fairly certain of conductance. How stable is a viable question.

After posting I realized the term 'pop' could be taken to mean failure. But [H] forums has been up/down constantly. The cap hasn't failed, just popped off the board.

The question stands. Has anyone had success tacking a sm cap with superglue?

1. Get a fine/small soldering iron tip from RadioShack for $1.
2. Get an equal value capacitor with longer leads for $0.50
3. Solder it on.
4. ???
5. Profit!!!

After posting I realized the term 'pop' could be taken to mean failure. But [H] forums has been up/down constantly. The cap hasn't failed, just popped off the board.
Popped off how? If you just knocked it off by accident, then you should be able to just reattach it (although not with that method; do it properly). If, on the other hand, it popped off by itself while the board was running, then I would recommend replacing it.

Popped off how? If you just knocked it off by accident, then you should be able to just reattach it (although not with that method; do it properly). If, on the other hand, it popped off by itself while the board was running, then I would recommend replacing it.

Silly error on my part. I was cutting a zip tie. The knife sliced through and dislodged the cap. Fortunately I wasn't cutting toward myself. The cap looks fine.

I'm reminded of all the times I forewent the purchases a Vetco or Fry's because I didn't need them at the time. A nice multimeter, proper solder equipment, dremel, etc... Perhaps today I'll rectify that.

Thanks everyone. I think I have my answer. No one has tried everyone suggests the proper fix. Now I'm just more curious.

An the electrical conductivity of glue is..? Well let's just say not enough.

An the electrical conductivity of glue is..? Well let's just say not enough.

I'm talking about this type of surface mount cap.

ceramicchip.jpg

I understand - does it not need an electrical connection via two metal leads? It is quite evident you need to re-solder the cap. Watch the polarity too.

Why not try and RMA it? My brother popped of a cap on his mobo and glued it back on so they wouldn't see what was up.

It worked and got a new board.

Although not the most ethical way of going about it... it will be the cheapest and easiest way of going about this.

Why not try and RMA it? My brother popped of a cap on his mobo and glued it back on so they wouldn't see what was up.

Although not the most ethical way of going about it... it will be the cheapest and easiest way of going about this.

I knew this crap would appear eventually.

Not an option for me, I take responsibility for the errors I make.

surface mount... hmmm. I remember fooling with those many of times. I use to cut the ends off of a resistor, solder them on each end. This will give you enough room to play with.

sorry no offense, but because of people like that we soon will not get any warranty at all , thats fraud and should not be accepted.
just my two cents.

as to the OP , try and get a replacement cap and try to solder it on . I mean the mobo is broken anyways , cant get worse than that.

Super glue works by melting both halves together. You could compromise the integrity of cap by doing so.

Not an option for me, I take responsibility for the errors I make.

good stuff

but in my brothers defense the cap he broke came off with a simple (light) nudge when he was removing his heatsink.

but yeah still not ethical but more justified I guess? lol.

if it's out of warranty, I would say go the solder route. superglue always seems to ruin things when I try and use it on anything (esp plastics).

I had to do similar cap surgery to 3 of my 4 netgear gb switches. 2 of them were out of warranty and I couldn't do without them. found others online that had the same issue, so I decided to fix them myself. All going good so far and saved time and $$$.

You could solder lead wires to the cap and then solder the other end of the wires to the pads on the board. Just make sure you get the right gauge and don't make them to long. Might be worth a shot. Then you could superglue the cap into place.

You could solder lead wires to the cap and then solder the other end of the wires to the pads on the board.

I'll most likely go this route. The space is tight, and I'm not confident enough in my soldering skills for the precision required. The slight extension given by the wires would give me some wiggle room.

The plan is to repair and donate it. I've ordered UD3P for it's replacement. Worst case the board become a confidence/skill builder. :D

thanks for the suggestions!

Back